LeVar Woods Interviews with Bucs

I'd hate to lose him, but it's nice to have coaches that people want. Same goes for Wallace.

I think naming Wallace assistant head coach told Woods all he needed to know.
Coordinators typically don't get named assistant head coach. That title goes to position coaches to justify giving them a raise. Wallace is a good choice because he's been great for 10 years and deserves it and is someone that we hope sticks around as long as possible.

I think naming Wallace assistant head coach told Woods all he needed to know.
Yeah this right here.... Woods wants a future in coaching. The writing is on the wall he's not going to climb the ladder here. Look at the timing of this. His son is going to be a SR in HS next yr. He's a pretty high level recruit. For Woods to seriously put himself out there to interview for other gigs now is saying something.
I'm sure he's had chances the previous few yrs to have done so too and didn't.

Parker isn't going to retire before KF it doesn't look like so Woods can't get that job anytime soon. By Wallace getting that title shows he's next in line for DC even if say Parker stepped down before KF. There's just nowhere for Woods to really climb up any further anytime soon.

What I'd be curious to know is how'd it get out that he interviewed with them? Was it NFL reporters and the team that leaked that or Woods side?

I would say he will still be here. It was a virtual interview....unless it was a first round cut type deal....I would imagine if they were serious he would have been in person.

I would not get too concerned yet. Plus, I would think he would have more security in his current position here as opposed to the high turnover NFL.

Coordinators typically don't get named assistant head coach. That title goes to position coaches to justify giving them a raise. Wallace is a good choice because he's been great for 10 years and deserves it and is someone that we hope sticks around as long as possible.
Agree.
Coordinators typically don't get named assistant head coach. That title goes to position coaches to justify giving them a raise. Woods is a good choice because he's been great for 15 years and deserves it and is someone that we hope sticks around as long as possible.

Kirk will f*** this up.

Are you sure this is true?

Maybe he is just testing the waters. I have heard he is very rooted in Iowa City, and he is a family man. People professionally test the waters all the time. Isn't his son, a potential Iowa recruiting target too?

Unless something has happened behind closed doors, I would be shocked to see him leave. His name has been and will be brought up for a lot of positions. Let's hope we can keep Woods around. A great coach.

One thing I'm curious about, has Woods had the opportunity to gain experience running offenses? I know he played defense at Iowa and coached tight ends, and now is with special teams. Just curious if his familiarity or potential lack of could be holding him back from advancement.

Granted, if Woods would become a head coach, he could hire an OC of his choosing and allow them to run the show. That does happen, but I guess it was just a question I have wondered about for a while.

Yea, kind of a head scratcher. One would think the Assistant Head Coach would be an individual who is qualified to possibly take the job if needed or next in line. Not sure that is the case with this bump up. I have nothing against Wallace and he very well may be on that path, but does he have even one head coaching job t any level of football? Seems weird for a Div 1 program and what program hires a head coach with absolutely no HC experience? Lavar doesn't either, but at least he's been in a coordinator role.

Maybe he is just testing the waters. I have heard he is very rooted in Iowa City, and he is a family man. People professionally test the waters all the time. Isn't his son, a potential Iowa recruiting target too?

Unless something has happened behind closed doors, I would be shocked to see him leave. His name has been and will be brought up for a lot of positions. Let's hope we can keep Woods around. A great coach.

One thing I'm curious about, has Woods had the opportunity to gain experience running offenses? I know he played defense at Iowa and coached tight ends, and now is with special teams. Just curious if his familiarity or potential lack of could be holding him back from advancement.

Granted, if Woods would become a head coach, he could hire an OC of his choosing and allow them to run the show. That does happen, but I guess it was just a question I have wondered about for a while.

Yea, he could be just leveraging for a pay raise. They all do it.

If he leaves for a better position and more money, good for him. That is what most people would do. If he stays, that will be great. He has been a really good and loyal coach at Iowa. I don't know he is underpaid, but if he is, that should be rectified. I hate for him to leave over that.

That said, movement in the coaching field is a constant. Iowa's consistency in its coaching staff is the exception, not the rule.

From seeing him on occasion on the youth sports scene and interacting with him a couple times, he does seem like a very nice cat and pretty chill. Wife seems nice to.