Let's talk Indiana

NikeHawk21

It seems like we have talked about everything else on here (bubble, incoming recruits, awards, coaching vacancies, next season), but haven't even discussed the most important game of our season.

I do not have a good feeling about this game. If Indiana shoots us out of the zone we are in trouble. Their guards are much quicker than ours and we had a tough time containing them in man-to-man last time.

I also just worry about Iowa coming out and laying an egg for a number of reasons. We haven't played well in the BTT under Fran. I also wasn't happy with the way we finished the Penn State game. Basketball is a huge momentum game and I hope that doesn't carry over to the start of this one.

If we lose I won't be in total meltdown mode, but it would be really sweet to make the tournament this year. My confidence level isn't high for this one.

It seems like we have talked about everything else on here (bubble, incoming recruits, awards, coaching vacancies, next season), but haven't even discussed the most important game of our season.

I do not have a good feeling about this game. If Indiana shoots us out of the zone we are in trouble. Their guards are much quicker than ours and we had a tough time containing them in man-to-man last time.

I also just worry about Iowa coming out and laying an egg for a number of reasons. We haven't played well in the BTT under Fran. I also wasn't happy with the way we finished the Penn State game. Basketball is a huge momentum game and I hope that doesn't carry over to the start of this one.

If we lose I won't be in total meltdown mode, but it would be really sweet to make the tournament this year. My confidence level isn't high for this one.

I'm kinda in your boat and have the same kind of feeling but sometimes I gotta check myself and say "that's just the nervous nellie hawk fan in me thinking that way"

- things that give me hope are the fact that Iowa is just plain DUE in the BTT and also - we have Baer and he's the king of 50/50 balls. Also - Indiana has trouble with Turnovers and Iowa's press has been effective. I also think Cook owns Thomas.

I share the "not a good feeling" sentiment. BTT history, having to beat a time a second time, their guards, etc. I can't help but feel that they really let us off the hook back on 2/21.

It really gets down to letting opponents start fast and/or us starting slow. And frankly, it's hard to hget a feel for how DC-as-a-neutral-court will shake out for this year's tournament.

I guess the good news is that we aren't playing them in Indianapolis?

Mixed feelings on this game. We are on a hot streak right now, but look at Fran's record in the Big 10 Tourney, it's not good.

[QUOTE="hawkeyebob62, post:

I guess the good news is that we aren't playing them in Indianapolis?[/QUOTE]

this is the positive thinking I need to adapt over the next 24 hours.

Agreed on being very nervous... lack of success in BTT under Fran, young guys and BTT is new territory, Indiana will want revenge from losing the OT game a few weeks back.

Mixed feelings that go back to games we've lost, and how we lost them...win this and were sitting better, but now it's a must...and Indiana just has to be the team that could lay down, or fight like hell, or Jok/JBo to be ice cold...lots of emotion on this board. The bottom line, kick Indiana's a $$ and we mo e on. Lose and we'll be on ESPN/ESPN2 for the 3 weeks

You guys can quit worrying about Fran in the Big 10 tournament. It will have zero impact on this game. The last group of players weren't mentally tough enough to not overlook a weak opponent. That's all the last 3 years were. Fran doesn't suck at coaching games that happen to be in the Big 10 tournament.

That said, I have a bad feeling about this game too. We are due to play bad. But then again, we didn't play good against Indiana or Wisconsin last time. We played hard, but we didn't play good. I also think Jok is due for a 40 minute shooting display.

You guys can quit worrying about Fran in the Big 10 tournament. It will have zero impact on this game. The last group of players weren't mentally tough enough to not overlook a weak opponent. That's all the last 3 years were. Fran doesn't suck at coaching games that happen to be in the Big 10 tournament.

That said, I have a bad feeling about this game too. We are due to play bad. But then again, we didn't play good against Indiana or Wisconsin last time. We played hard, but we didn't play good. I also think Jok is due for a 40 minute shooting display.

I thought the same about Jok. If we get 2H senior night Jok I like our chances (he also shot well last year at the BTT). If we get Peter Jok on the road in the B1G or even the prior 10 games before PSU, we are in trouble.

Also nervous for this game. Just to make it a little worse I see Indiana is now on the next 4 out list for Lundardi. Which could really spark a team with their potential.

Am nervous about the game but that's better than expecting to win only to lose to a team like Penn St., like last year.

Iowa is on a roll. Indiana has nothing to play for. They had a crappy season and the whole fanbase is sick of Crean. They just want to put their heads in the oven and pray for a sweet sweet death.

I hope.

This is exactly where i'm at. I really want to see the Hawks continue the good basketball, but i'd be lying if I said this game doesn't concern me. If the Hawks shoot avg to above avg and has good intensity on defense, they certainly can win. Indiana is just a little scary cause if they get hot they are very difficult to stop.

2 weeks ago I was wondering if we would make the NIT, now that the Dance is within sight i'm getting all nervous....

C'mon Hawks....get this one !

59758895.jpg

My concern is more related to Indiana as a bad draw and it will be the first BTT for all the freshman and there's a lot of pressure as they know it's a must win to have a chance for the Big Dance.

I suppose it's partly the last 3 years in the BTT talking, but I too am uneasy about this one. This Indiana team kinda reminds me of some of Alford's Iowa teams - they had talent and underachieved/melted down in the conference season, only to turn it on in the BTT when their backs were against the wall. I think IU is dangerous and Iowa needs to come ready to play this one.

I can't help be concerned about a look-ahead to Wisconsin (the game that gets us "in" if we win) when we still have a Thursday game to win as well.

As for this BTT, I honestly don't know what to expect. I could see Iowa making it to the finals, and I could also see them losing tomorrow. Time will tell.

My concern is more related to Indiana as a bad draw and it will be the first BTT for all the freshman and there's a lot of pressure as they know it's a must win to have a chance for the Big Dance.

They've had must win pressure for 4 games now. The bad thing is this almost has a "reset" feeling to it so who knows if that will affect them.

They've had must win pressure for 4 games now. The bad thing is this almost has a "reset" feeling to it so who knows if that will affect them.

True but it feels like the pressure builds with each game that they get closer.

I suppose it's partly the last 3 years in the BTT talking, but I too am uneasy about this one. This Indiana team kinda reminds me of some of Alford's Iowa teams - they had talent and underachieved/melted down in the conference season, only to turn it on in the BTT when their backs were against the wall. I think IU is dangerous and Iowa needs to come ready to play this one.

I can't help be concerned about a look-ahead to Wisconsin (the game that gets us "in" if we win) when we still have a Thursday game to win as well.

As for this BTT, I honestly don't know what to expect. I could see Iowa making it to the finals, and I could also see them losing tomorrow. Time will tell.

^^^^^^^Pretty much where I am at. I could see myself getting pumped for selection Sunday or I could see myself getting prepared for Iowa taking on Colorado St. in a home NIT game.

I'm not worried. For one thing it won't do any good to worry. But the real reason I'm not worried is because we are playing well. Fran is using the press and the zone well. The guys have figured out how to play together. And chemistry is a very dangerous thing.

Also, Jok told Fran last Friday that he was 100%. It was the 1st time he's been 100% since he got hurt. And it showed Sunday. He looked good...smooth. The upside of his injury is that it held his minutes down the last 1/3 of the season. He is fresh and should be able to showcase his game the rest of the way. I'm talking about his complete game where 20 is a given and 30 is reasonable.

Jok made a ton of FTs (22-23) n the first IN game on his way to 35 points. But he didn't play all that well. He was 1-6 from 3 and still not himself. This time IN will see the real Jok.

And lastly...we have to win. Our NCAA starts tomorrow. We know it. The team knows it. If we lose we got to the back up plan and play in the NIT...which looked like a pipe dream after the 2nd IL game. I hope we play well...because I'm confident we will win if we do.

Whatever happens this was a fun team to watch and had a very successful season in a rebuilding year...with our best player and Cook both being less than 100% for significant periods.

Latest posts