Let's talk Indiana

I get the trepidation of some of ya. With this young group there's just no way of knowing which group is goin to show up. I'm hoping that Jok has his best yet to give. Look how he started the 2nd half against PSU. It was almost like all he had to do was flip a switch and he had 11 pts. If he can stay out of foul trouble early and not do anything stupid and just play to his strengths I think he's in for a special game or two in this tourney. And if he does struggle Cook has been lights out lately. So has Pemsl. Not to mention Baer. It just seems like if someone is struggling and shooters like Jok/JBo can have off days that the other guys are there picking up the slack which earlier in the year wasn't happening. I'm fired up to see these guys on the bigger stage with the big dance on the line.

How would any of that be different than any other game? The 2 years prior we had worse teams that beat better teams. They were coached by Frank too. The difference was the players and the situation. We were huge favorites the years we lost. Does Fran forget how to coach when he's a huge favorite? Or do certain players not have the mental strength to not take teams for granted?

Its different because they didnt know their opponent right away, they're playing on a neutral court, if they win they're playing consecutive days (pack for multiple days away from home, plan for multiple days away from home). The tournament is just a lot different. There are more eyes on the tournaments, there's more pressure in the tournaments, there's more media, interviews, etc.

So its a LOT different than just any other game.

Its one thing Kirk Ferentz talks about a lot...how he has failed recently to get his team properly prepared for their bowl games. Its obviously not 100% on the coach, but the coach plays a significant part

Its different because they didnt know their opponent right away, they're playing on a neutral court, if they win they're playing consecutive days (pack for multiple days away from home, plan for multiple days away from home). The tournament is just a lot different. There are more eyes on the tournaments, there's more pressure in the tournaments, there's more media, interviews, etc.

So its a LOT different than just any other game.

Its one thing Kirk Ferentz talks about a lot...how he has failed recently to get his team properly prepared for their bowl games. Its obviously not 100% on the coach, but the coach plays a significant part

Are you saying Fran chokes when preparing his team because he can't handle the intense pressure of the Big 10 tournament? I think people try to hard to look past the obvious answer. The last 3 years we were huge favorites with aspirations of winning the whole tournament. They looked ahead and paid the price. Like I said tho, even if Fran is responsible for them looking ahead, it doesn't pertain to this year because no way in hell they will look ahead. They may very well lose because they are playing a 50/50 game, but it will be nothing like the last 3 years.

As for Bowl prep. It's completely different because they have an entire month to prepare so a coaches job is a lot more valuable.

I've always thought Fran's problems in BTT games is that he coaches as if it's the same as a regular season game and it's not. For example, he CAN'T let a team go on a big run without calling timeout like he might in a regular season game. He CAN'T play 11-12 guys in a tournament setting like he does in a regular season grind. Those are things Fran needs to realize and adjust to once tournament play begins.

I've always thought Fran's problems in BTT games is that he coaches as if it's the same as a regular season game and it's not. For example, he CAN'T let a team go on a big run without calling timeout like he might in a regular season game. He CAN'T play 11-12 guys in a tournament setting like he does in a regular season grind. Those are things Fran needs to realize and adjust to once tournament play begins.

He didn't have a problem in the Big 10 tournament until 3 years ago. 4 years ago it took a big time screw job to keep us from beating a really good Michigan State team in the 2nd round. I'm right about this just like I was right about Fran having a problem coaching close games. Those problems graduated last year. That doesn't guarantee a win this year because we are playing a team that is at least just as good.

With this year's team I think having a 11 or 12 man rotation is beneficial.

Why do I think we are going to fall behind big early. I keep having that feeling that Indiana's going to be hitting threes from the tap. Can the young team weather the storm?

With this year's team I think having a 11 or 12 man rotation is beneficial.

I absolutely think it's been beneficial during the grind of the season. But when you get to one and done, you've really got to ride your horses as much as possible. Just my $.02 worth....

He didn't have a problem in the Big 10 tournament until 3 years ago. 4 years ago it took a big time screw job to keep us from beating a really good Michigan State team in the 2nd round. I'm right about this just like I was right about Fran having a problem coaching close games. Those problems graduated last year. That doesn't guarantee a win this year because we are playing a team that is at least just as good.

I will give you the screw job from TV Teddy Valentine, no argument there!

But you don't lose to an 11 seed, a 12 seed and a 13 seed and not have some issues that need to be addressed.

I absolutely think it's been beneficial during the grind of the season. But when you get to one and done, you've really got to ride your horses as much as possible. Just my $.02 worth....

What is great about this team even if FM decides to get it down to a 8 or 9 man rotation.......He can literally go with the guys with the hot hand, he doesn't have to wait for guys to " work through it". We can agree to disagree, if Iowa wins and continue to win with a 8 man rotation I have no problem admitting I was wrong.:)

I will give you the screw job from TV Teddy Valentine, no argument there!

But you don't lose to an 11 seed, a 12 seed and a 13 seed and not have some issues that need to be addressed.

Why is it so hard to believe it was the players? If they get in a close game, they choke. If they get I attention, they choke. If they are playing a terrible team in a tournament they are trying to win, they choke.

This year, when they are in a close game, they make plays. When they are in a must win situatuon, they are 4-0. It's a different team with the same coach.

He didn't have a problem in the Big 10 tournament until 3 years ago. 4 years ago it took a big time screw job to keep us from beating a really good Michigan State team in the 2nd round. I'm right about this just like I was right about Fran having a problem coaching close games. THOSE PROBLEMS GRADUATED LAST YEAR. That doesn't guarantee a win this year because we are playing a team that is at least just as good.
Agree. Some good talent. They helped in turning around and solidifying the Iowa program to respectability. I'm grateful they chose to play at Iowa.

But the guy with the biggest heart on the team was a center with average offensive skills. Tough to win close games or big light games when that's your guy.

Latest posts