Lets Stop

AHawk1

What happened this year falls on one man' shoulders. Let's be honest I have been critical of JVB and he wasn't without fault, but I will never ever understand how another QB never took a snap(mind boggling) but the kid had decent numbers as a Soph. and Jr. A new coodrinator and new system was brought in. It didn't work in week 1,2,3 etc... and our offensive numbers, QB performance and everyone's confidence continued to decline, and not one thing changed offensively the entire year.

Let's say hypothetically, actually factually, that another school was in a similar situation. The head coach told his new OC in about week 2 that the offensive production needed to improve. Either change the personnel or change your offense because this isn't cutting it. I'm also a 100% percent sure that OC knew if something didn't change fast his job was in jeopardy, and he continually made changes in personnel and scheme throughout the year to find a system that worked. Unfortunately, until the bitter end our OC never made ONE change and the man in charge never did either. I'd like to see KF around a lot longer, but he's a 100% percent at fault for allowing this disaster to continue all season without one F.....ing change.

Last edited:
You are correct that ultimately the disappointing results of the 2012 campaign fall squarely on Kirk Ferentz. His refusal to make the slightest of change in the face of overwhelming evidence that something wasn't working is an abject failure of executive leadership. In the business world, he would be fired.

As poorly as Vandenberg played this year, unless Ferentz was just being mule-stubborn about not replacing him, the backup QBs must have been not very good to not play even the slightest bit. If that is the case, it does not portend well for next season.

Comparing HF to KF. HF was a mentor of future coaches. KF wants yes sir's around and loyalty. Could you imagine Snyder, Alvarez, Brett B, and others not challenging HF? After HF lost the 1st 2 to head coach positions, he never fully recovered to the same glory. Actually HF if you take out the 80's run was not tremendously above mediocre if you discount the patsies. The key is in the coordinators. If KF even had a good one, would they challenge him? Challengers need not apply?

Sorry, while I understand where you're coming from, I still refuse to give the players a free pass for failing to perform this season. Not saying coaching isn't a factor, but to put all the blame on the coaching staff and giving the players a free pass is rediculous, IMO.

What happened this year falls on one man' shoulders. Let's be honest I have been critical of JVB and will still, never ever understand how another QB never took a snap(mind boggling) but the kid had decent numbers as a Soph. and Jr. A new coodrinator and new system was brought in. It didn't work in week 1,2,3 etc... and our offensive numbers, QB performance and confidence continued to decline, and those things never changed all year. Let's say hypothetically that another school was in a similar situation. I'm guessing the head coach told his new OC in about week 2 to put a kid on the field that can perform or change the damn system so the kid we have on the field can perform. I'm also a 100% percent sure the OC knew if something didn't change fast his job was in jeopardy. Unfortunately, until the bitter end our OC never made a change and the man in charge never did either. I'd like to see KF around a lot longer, but he's a 100% percent at fault for allowing this disaster to continue all season without one F.....ing change.

Shame on you for being critical of ferentz. Look how much he's done for the University in his 14 years here.

FreedComanche

I think Journey said it best - "don't stop believing"

I'd say that KF has "Faithfully" stuck to his insanely conservative approach and they are paying the price for it. The Iowa football program and success have gone their "Separate Ways" over the last 3 years and it certainly is taking it's toll on Iowa's national perception. I don't see Iowa "Lovin, Touchin, Squeezin" any rivalry trophies anytime soon given the current state of things. If "Only the young" freshmen have any talent we may at least be mediocre in a couple of years. It's not going to happen because of the contract but I would welcome a new head coach with "Open Arms" at this point. As far as I'm concerned, Kirk and staff, "I'll be alright without you" if someone can pony up the buyout money. We've given ISU fans a hard time over the years for spending the bowl season at home, but "Who's cryin now"? Til greener pastures, "Be good to yourself" hawk fans.

I'd say that KF has "Faithfully" stuck to his insanely conservative approach and they are paying the price for it. The Iowa football program and success have gone their "Separate Ways" over the last 3 years and it certainly is taking it's toll on Iowa's national perception. I don't see Iowa "Lovin, Touchin, Squeezin" any rivalry trophies anytime soon given the current state of things. If "Only the young" freshmen have any talent we may at least be mediocre in a couple of years. It's not going to happen because of the contract but I would welcome a new head coach with "Open Arms" at this point. As far as I'm concerned, Kirk and staff, "I'll be alright without you" if someone can pony up the buyout money. We've given ISU fans a hard time over the years for spending the bowl season at home, but "Who's cryin now"? Til greener pastures, "Be good to yourself" hawk fans.

Killer Journey lingo.

FreedComanche

I think we just had a journey moment.

You are correct that ultimately the disappointing results of the 2012 campaign fall squarely on Kirk Ferentz. His refusal to make the slightest of change in the face of overwhelming evidence that something wasn't working is an abject failure of executive leadership. In the business world, he would be fired.

Correct..

KF lost a TON of support this season and if he brings back Davis he will lose even more.. KF looks at his conservative approach as job security..

Correct..

KF lost a TON of support this season and if he brings back Davis he will lose even more.. KF looks at his conservative approach as job security..

Don't be so critical. Five wins is a possibility next year and that's improvement. We are not Ohio State or Michigan who can get good recruits.

FreedComanche

As poorly as Vandenberg played this year, unless Ferentz was just being mule-stubborn about not replacing him, the backup QBs must have been not very good to not play even the slightest bit. If that is the case, it does not portend well for next season.

I am so tired of hearing this exuse above. Wake up people we have seen this before with jake Christensen. How soon we forget. KF never let anybody take a snap but Jake and dug his stubborn *** heels in the ground and we watched a very similar season to what happend this year. Then nexyt year he still held out hope for Jake and but started to play Stanzi.
KF probably lost 2 games the follwoing year because he didn't dump Jake sooner. My point is KF is so damn stubborn he only makes a change when he feels extreme pressure which he did then. It is time to move on... but we can't because we are Iowa and we play not to lose neverto win.

I am so tired of hearing this exuse above. Wake up people we have seen this before with jake Christensen. How soon we forget. KF never let anybody take a snap but Jake and dug his stubborn *** heels in the ground and we watched a very similar season to what happend this year. Then nexyt year he still held out hope for Jake and but started to play Stanzi.
KF probably lost 2 games the follwoing year because he didn't dump Jake sooner. My point is KF is so damn stubborn he only makes a change when he feels extreme pressure which he did then. It is time to move on... but we can't because we are Iowa and we play not to lose neverto win.

Look, this is Iowa. You will never get the very good recruits. Plus this was only ferentz' second losing season since he turned the program around. Bad seasons happen to even the best coaches.

FreedComanche

Don't know the answer, because I haven't seen any other QB play. No excuses being made. If it's a large talent gap, Iowa has a long road ahead. If it's just stubbornness, then they may, or may not, still have a long road ahead. We'll all find out next fall.

If he worked on Wall Street he might be given a promotion and hefty bonus.

Barfknecht is a Nebby homer. Good teams win close games, we weren't a good team. However, nebby won 5 games by 6 or less, a couple with Very contraversial calls. If these games went another way.....

I know that all that matter is the W (they deserve credit, reminds me of "09 Hawks"....but I would argue that ultimately record, not body of work is what he is defining as "close to championship-level football"

just sayin - you would think the huskers are now a juggernaut based on the local media talking heads.

ooooooooooooo, I hate that Iowa was bad this year and nebby is playing for B1G title....Barf (no pun)

never thought I'd say it......GO WISCONSIN !

I guess we'll never know, since we never did see any of our backups this year. So really, Ferentz can say whatever he likes, and it's up to us whether to believe him or not. Only way we'd have seen a backup is if JVB had been injured.

Don't know the answer, because I haven't seen any other QB play. No excuses being made. If it's a large talent gap, Iowa has a long road ahead. If it's just stubbornness, then they may, or may not, still have a long road ahead. We'll all find out next fall.

I guess if the QB play next year is just horrendous, then i'll be more inclined to believe that there really was a huge gap between JVB and the #2. Then again, JVB dropped off horribly from 2011 to 2012, so it's impossibly to say how 2013's QB play relates to how they would have played in 2012.

Latest posts