Let's not panic

Why am I not surprised that someone who thinks we need to be counseled not to "panic" if Oglesby doesn't accept Iowa's offer also thinks a little booing of an opposing player is something akin to the Salem Witch Trials.

If I'm Uthoff, who will hear a few boos and other tokens of admiration from the student section, I take it as a badge of honor that they thought enough of me to care that I didn't choose Iowa. Same goes for Oglesby if that's how it turns out. And I don't see any meaningful distinction in that regard between them and Bohannon. No matter what the circumstances may be when a kid is recruited, the fans of the home state school shouldn't feel any sense of entitlement that he should choose to stay at home.

On the other hand, a little friendly booing to remind a local kid that the fans think their school is better is a part of the game and shouldn't cause anyone to get their panties in a wad. These kids are competitors. If anything, it ought to motivate them to play their best. And if it doesn't, we didn't want them anyway. ;)

Are they going to boo Uthoff?

The bigger question is other than the hardcores on this board will anybody at the game even know who Uthoff or Ogelsby is?

If I polled 10 friends right now I bet 1 or 2 of them would even know who these guys are.

Uthoff deserves to get booed. Bohannon deserves to get booed. If Oglesby chooses another school, he deserves to get booed. You're a local boy and you go someplace else in the Big 10, you deserve to get booed.

The time that JaBo committed Iowa was making the tourny (05 and 06) and were a #3 seed in the NCAA, won the BTT, finished second in the league and going 44-5 at CHA...not like a horsecrap program at that point. SA haters will paint that record as the worst in the country,but Iowa was a top 4 program in the big ten standings 3 or 4 years...04,06,07..and made the tourny in 05.

As for booing visiting players, I am all for booing all the wisky players,and minny players. Treat them all the same...like dogs.
I would expect the same treatment in Wisconsin if Brian Butch or Wes Matthews jr,had come to Iowa. Iowa fans are ....gasp....just like other league fans.

Are you going to cheer for Uthoff when the Badgers come to CHA? Should he be treated like Gatens?
Sorry, I want to beat the damn Badgers, and boo everyone of their butts...it is called home court edge.

Good point on the state of Iowa BB when JaBo committed to Wisconsin.

The time that JaBo committed Iowa was making the tourny (05 and 06) and were a #3 seed in the NCAA, won the BTT, finished second in the league and going 44-5 at CHA...not like a horsecrap program at that point. SA haters will paint that record as the worst in the country,but Iowa was a top 4 program in the big ten standings 3 or 4 years...04,06,07..and made the tourny in 05.

As for booing visiting players, I am all for booing all the wisky players,and minny players. Treat them all the same...like dogs.
I would expect the same treatment in Wisconsin if Brian Butch or Wes Matthews jr,had come to Iowa. Iowa fans are ....gasp....just like other league fans.

Are you going to cheer for Uthoff when the Badgers come to CHA? Should he be treated like Gatens?
Sorry, I want to beat the damn Badgers, and boo everyone of their butts...it is called home court edge.

Yes Iowa was a top 4 program in the BT, but what happened? Why did it turn sour?

Just an FYI, you say Iowa fans are like other fans...hmmm, I have been to a few arenas in the BT and have not heard a home crowd turn on a player from its state. The fans typically boo someone who is considered "dirty" or someone who just always seems to have career games against their team and showboats.
I have yet to hear the OSU or UM fans boo a player from their state just because they went out of state.
When Iowa travels to Michigan, I will be on pins and needles waiting to hear the boos for Roy Marble Jr, guess what, it won't happen.
Do Illinois fans boo players that leave their state, only if they play for Iowa and in that case, I understand.
The last time I was able to attend the BTT I all of Friday and the Championship game, Iowa beat OSU. The thing that gets me is the worst fans were in order: Indiana, Illinois, MSU and Wisconsin...whiners wanted players kicked out, coaches ejected and so on and so forth, however, not one time did they boo a kid from their state unless they thought the player was dirty or a showboater.

Don't get me wrong, I want to beat the Badgers as much as any team in the BT, but if Uthoff has a good game and Iowa wins, I won't be upset at Uthoff, but if he has a big game and Iowa loses, I will be ****** just like any other Iowa loss and that goes for all teams, especially Illinois and Minnesota.
One thing that ticked me off more than anything last year was how Illinois' fans were at CHA, but then again, if the team had been worth a poo then that would never happen.

Did you hear Luke Recker's reception in Indy from IU fans at the BTT? He got hammered. The difference is if an in-state player gets recruited hard,and offered by their home state school and then goes to another school in the conference...when that happens, those players get booed by every school in the conference..period.

OSU did not offer hometown kid that went to PSU a few years ago,and they left him alone...that is appropriate. But if a hometown kid snubs the offers from the local school to attend a conference rival? different matter.

Illinois and Eric Gordon come to mind. Gordon wasnt even from Illinois and they booed him and treated his family like garbage in Champaign.

Booing is one thing. Abuse directed at the family is another. People who do the latter have a screw loose.

Sportstalent: you are comparing apples & oranges

The states of Michigan and Ohio have how many D1 players each year? MSU, UM, tOSU, they already know they cannot have all the major D1 talent from their respective states because there aren't enough scholarships to hand out. Iowa on the other hand have what, maybe 2-3 D1 players per year?

Uthoff made it sound like Iowa was clearly in the running for his services and he chose Wisconsin instead. Fine, but he better be ready to get some grief from the fans. If Iowa was never in the running for him I doubt most fans would really care.

Same goes with Oglesby. I'd love to have him commit to Iowa, but if he goes elsewhere I'll respect that choice and boo him every time he has the ball.

Frankly, if I were a player I would think being booed would be kind of cool. Only players the fans care about get that kind of treatment.

Bumping for the sake of "panic" discussing the hoops program and the excitement over the possibility of getting at that time recruit -- wait for it --- Josh Ogs.

It also seems sportstalent has a talent for starting freads wif "panic" in them.

Bumping for the sake of "panic" discussing the hoops program and the excitement over the possibility of getting at that time recruit -- wait for it --- Josh Ogs.

It also seems sportstalent has a talent for starting freads wif "panic" in them.

I think the booing Uthoff stuff was pretty funny as well ... especially after what happened. :)

ncb_u_jarrod-uthoff_mb_600.jpg

Sportstalent: you are comparing apples & oranges

The states of Michigan and Ohio have how many D1 players each year? MSU, UM, tOSU, they already know they cannot have all the major D1 talent from their respective states because there aren't enough scholarships to hand out. Iowa on the other hand have what, maybe 2-3 D1 players per year?

Uthoff made it sound like Iowa was clearly in the running for his services and he chose Wisconsin instead. Fine, but he better be ready to get some grief from the fans. If Iowa was never in the running for him I doubt most fans would really care.

Same goes with Oglesby. I'd love to have him commit to Iowa, but if he goes elsewhere I'll respect that choice and boo him every time he has the ball.

Frankly, if I were a player I would think being booed would be kind of cool. Only players the fans care about get that kind of treatment.
7ztf60bezyyp.png

Latest posts