Let's not panic

sportstalent

With the offer of Josh Oglesby and some of the backlash that has come with it I must offer my take on it because he hasn't pledged to Iowa yet.

Look, there have been good arguments that say he has not gotten the relationship with the new staff yet and that is very fair. The other schools have been recruiting him for over a year.

Keep this in mind too, how long has he held the Iowa offer, a week? He has held offers from some other schools for months and close to a year with some.

The fact that Josh has not committed anywhere is a great sign to me. I do expect him in the end to come to Iowa, but he does have to find out what the current staff is about and maybe he waits until next spring to decide.

I like that Iowa was his favorite team growing up, but when it comes to making 'life' choices, dreams and favorite team cannot come between what is best for you life long term and if he decides it is at Iowa so be it, if not, so be it, I will root for him to do well in his career.
I still cannot get over how the Iowa fans booed Bohannon and if Oglesby goes to Minnesota or Illinois, it will be classless to boo him as well.

With the offer of Josh Oglesby and some of the backlash that has come with it I must offer my take on it because he hasn't pledged to Iowa yet.

Look, there have been good arguments that say he has not gotten the relationship with the new staff yet and that is very fair. The other schools have been recruiting him for over a year.

Keep this in mind too, how long has he held the Iowa offer, a week? He has held offers from some other schools for months and close to a year with some.

The fact that Josh has not committed anywhere is a great sign to me. I do expect him in the end to come to Iowa, but he does have to find out what the current staff is about and maybe he waits until next spring to decide.

I like that Iowa was his favorite team growing up, but when it comes to making 'life' choices, dreams and favorite team cannot come between what is best for you life long term and if he decides it is at Iowa so be it, if not, so be it, I will root for him to do well in his career.
I still cannot get over how the Iowa fans booed Bohannon and if Oglesby goes to Minnesota or Illinois, it will be classless to boo him as well.[/QUOTE]

If he goes to anywhere except Minnesota or Illinios I agree with you. All's fair in love and border wars.

Hmmm. You know, I've given it a lot of thought, and I've decided that I'm going to go ahead and panic.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRGHRGHRGHRGRHGRHGHRGRHGRHGHRGRHHH!!!!!!

Hmmm. You know, I've given it a lot of thought, and I've decided that I'm going to go ahead and panic.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRGHRGHRGHRGRHGRHGHRGRHGRHGHRGRHHH!!!!!!

Reminds of an episode of the Simpson where Springfield is in danger of being destroyed, and Kent Brockman has a a guest on the show, and the exchange goes like this:

Kent: Without knowing any of the facts or information surrounding the event, would you say that it's time for unbridled panic?
Guest (serious voice): Yes I would Kent.
Kent: There you have it folks, we're all doomed.

/cut away to mob/torch/pitchfork scene.

To paraphrase Caarhawk, "if an Iowa kid isn't a Hawkeye, he simply doesn't exist to me."

I personally think that if you had a lifelong dream to play for a certain school, you should chase that dream. I can't imagine the regret of cashing in a dream of that magnitude.

Stormin did you really ask that question or were you joking? There is a certain segment of the human population you can count on to act like spoiled brats no matter what the circumstances.
The thing is, at this point in Iowa BB, I can understand why some would go elsewhere.

When JaBo was getting booed, it was diff situation entirely. Legacy recruit. Coach had been at Iowa for a while. It'd be like Matt Gatens going to Illinois.

I think that's why JaBo was booed. Which is also why I don't think Uthoff or Ogelsby will get booed, and a reason why they shouldn't.

The thing is, at this point in Iowa BB, I can understand why some would go elsewhere.

When JaBo was getting booed, it was diff situation entirely. Legacy recruit. Coach had been at Iowa for a while. It'd be like Matt Gatens going to Illinois.

I think that's why JaBo was booed. Which is also why I don't think Uthoff or Ogelsby will get booed, and a reason why they shouldn't.

Here is my point on the classlessness of the booing, especially in JaBo's situation, what does it say about the current coach and the state of the program when he leaves with all the ties he has to Iowa. That is probably the first time I took a real hard look at the program and say what is wrong with this picture. The facts are, Iowa basketball has been in trouble since about year two of Post-Mr. Davis days. I want the program to win, but at what cost? Seeing how the program has degraded soon after Alford took over and contiuance under Lickliter is depressing as a fan.
When Lickliter was there, the carryover effect from how Alford ran the program didn't go away, which in turn, led to all the players leaving.
The whole problem with Lickliter is he never built a program he walked into good mid-major programs in his career.
Here is my question and I would really like someone to answer it: What incoming freshman that Alford recruited ever made a significant impact on the floor and did not get in trouble off of it?
Alford's best players were transfers, he didn't recruit any great four year players, if he did name one.
With Coach Fran, I don't see there being questions for recruits qualifying or leaving because of academics. Cougill didn't happen on his watch and I will be surprised if he ends up back in a Hawkeye uni.
Coach Fran brings integrity to the program and will in turn bring players in with high character.

I still cannot get over how the Iowa fans booed Bohannon and if Oglesby goes to Minnesota or Illinois, it will be classless to boo him as well.

Are you serious? It's all in good fun. What do you expect Iowa fans to do. I mean fans should be upset when an in-state guy goes someplace else to play. Plus, carver needs as much home court advantage as possible. There hasn't been a whole lot to cheer about, so don't crap on them for booing. At least there were fans to boo.

Are you serious? It's all in good fun. What do you expect Iowa fans to do. I mean fans should be upset when an in-state guy goes someplace else to play. Plus, carver needs as much home court advantage as possible. There hasn't been a whole lot to cheer about, so don't crap on them for booing. At least there were fans to boo.

And that is the point, why bother to show up then? The program has been so bad that it came to that. In the end sorry and classless. Invest the time into helping the program get better and beat teams so fans don't make fools of themselves. The players wouldn't have gone elsewhere if the staff would not have ruined the program. Fans can do what they want, but go to support the Iowa program. All Bohannon did was go to a better program and didn't get in trouble.
Focus on the players at Iowa. Good fun is one thing, but what is the point, it was dumb.
That is just my opinion.

And that is the point, why bother to show up then? The program has been so bad that it came to that. In the end sorry and classless. Invest the time into helping the program get better and beat teams so fans don't make fools of themselves. The players wouldn't have gone elsewhere if the staff would not have ruined the program. Fans can do what they want, but go to support the Iowa program. All Bohannon did was go to a better program and didn't get in trouble.
Focus on the players at Iowa. Good fun is one thing, but what is the point, it was dumb.
That is just my opinion.

The point is that it's all part of the "fan" experience. There's not a sporting event around that doesn't have its fair share of booing. Get over it.

The time that JaBo committed Iowa was making the tourny (05 and 06) and were a #3 seed in the NCAA, won the BTT, finished second in the league and going 44-5 at CHA...not like a horsecrap program at that point. SA haters will paint that record as the worst in the country,but Iowa was a top 4 program in the big ten standings 3 or 4 years...04,06,07..and made the tourny in 05.

As for booing visiting players, I am all for booing all the wisky players,and minny players. Treat them all the same...like dogs.
I would expect the same treatment in Wisconsin if Brian Butch or Wes Matthews jr,had come to Iowa. Iowa fans are ....gasp....just like other league fans.

Are you going to cheer for Uthoff when the Badgers come to CHA? Should he be treated like Gatens?
Sorry, I want to beat the damn Badgers, and boo everyone of their butts...it is called home court edge.

Last edited:

Latest posts