Let's make an all time Iowa starting 5

PG- Lester
SG- Brown
SF- Johnson

Those three can be removed from the rest of the posts, as they are in a class by themselves.

PG-Andre Woolridge, BJ Armstrong
SG-Ronnie Lester, Chris Kingsbury, Pierre Pierce
SF-Roy Marble, Fred Brown
PF-Reggie Evans, Chris Street, Greg Stokes
C-Erek Hansen, Acie Earl (yes, I would play Hansen over Earl and a host of other players. This team would have no trouble scoring and Hansen was probably one of the top five or so interior defenders in the history of the Big Ten by the end of '06. We absolutely don't lose to NWSt if Hansen plays more than 19 minutes that game.)

3 guard lineup: Ronnie Lester, BJ Armstrong, Fred Brown

Bigs: John Johnson and Roy Marble

I know small but we are going to press and play a lot of of match up zone, if we score 100 points a game who cares about defense

6th man: Don nelson

deep bench: Acie Earl, Bobby Hansen, Kevin Gamble, Carl Cain, Kevin Kunnert, Andre Woolridge

Coach Lute Olson, top recruiter George Raveling, assisted by Mr. Davis

Move all games back to the renovated Field House

Very difficult ...

PG - Ronnie Lester
SG - Fred Brown
SF - Roy Marble
PF - Greg Stokes
C - Acie Earl

PG - BJ Armstrong
SG - Ronnie Lester
SF - Roy Marble
PF - Greg Stokes
C - Acie Earl

Bench:
Freddy Brown, Andre Woolridge, Kevin Gamble, Ed Horton, Reggie Evans, Erek Hansen

I think Lester and Marble are locks. At least some debate between BJ/Woolridge/Freddy. Gets tough when you get to the bigs.

There's no way I could make an all-Iowa team without Chris Street.

Everything about him is the epitome of what I want to see in a Hawkeye.

Bobby Knight loved the kid. Bobby probably hated darn near every kid that he ever coached against! :)

Wish we could have seen him as a Hawk for another 1 1/2 years, but MUCH more importantly, I wish he could have gotten married, been a dad, a grandpa, etc...

CMS40

PG-Andre Woolridge, BJ Armstrong
SG-Ronnie Lester, Chris Kingsbury, Pierre Pierce
SF-Roy Marble, Fred Brown
PF-Reggie Evans, Chris Street, Greg Stokes
C-Erek Hansen, Acie Earl (yes, I would play Hansen over Earl and a host of other players. This team would have no trouble scoring and Hansen was probably one of the top five or so interior defenders in the history of the Big Ten by the end of '06. We absolutely don't lose to NWSt if Hansen plays more than 19 minutes that game.)

Dude, Acie Earl is Iowa's all time leader in blocked shots for a reason. How on earth can you select Hansen over Acie for defensive purposes?

PG - BJ Armstrong
SG - Ronnie Lester
SF - Roy Marble
PF - Greg Stokes
C - Acie Earl

I think I gotta go with this. Love me some Woolridge but can't quite take him over a guy who played in the NBA with multiple rings. Still amazing Woolridge didn't get a shot in "the league". I also gotta go with Lester because my dad too says he's the best he's ever seen play at Iowa.
Maybe another list we should start is our top 5 "FAVORITE" players of all time, not necessarily the best or filling out every position. Mine would be:

BJ
Woolridge
Jeff Moe
Christ Street
Gerry Wright - as a kid I just remember watching him do those thundering left hand dunks on fast breaks and the announcer on TV yelling "JAM TIME!!" Anyone know who that announcer was?

Here are my five without looking at anything else..I will read your posts after I list mine...dont want to contaminate it :)

There are a lot of ways to look at this...here is the five from my life I would start to win the most games

G: Ronnie Lester
G: Roy Marble
G: Kevin Gamble
F: Ed Horton
F: Greg Stokes

Now, as for the all time starting five..that is tough...John Johnson, Fred Brown...where do you put them in the mix? Don Nelson? How about Connie Hawkins, since he was on the freshman team? Probably can't go there, Not sure how we factor in the Murray Weir's of days gone by.

I still have Lester, Marble, and Stokes...the other two positions up for debate.

I have to go with John Johnson at one of these spots...at 6-7, he may have been the first 'point-forward'...that's a Scottie Pippen type. He averaged nearly 28 points per game for Iowa in 1970. And I think I might have to go with Fred Brown at the other position. He averaged nearly 28 a game the year after Johnson left.

Special mention to Sam Williams too...I'd have him off my bench before Horton.

So here are my five:

Lester
Marble
Stokes
Johnson
Brown

Bench
Williams
Horton
Andre Woolridge
BJ Armstrong
Don Nelson
Kent McCausland: Yes...of all the players I have seen in the three point era, he was the best three point shooter Iowa has had from a standpoint of you have to have a guy come in and stick the three...percentage wise...I would entertain debates on this one...because maybe you go with Luke Recker here, because he was big in big spots.

Here are the rules...

Your team must consist of one PG, one SG, one PF, and one C. The fifth player can be a SF/SG/Wing type.

All players on your team must have played at least one year as a Hawkeye (Connie is out).

PG: Lester
SG: Marble. Not the best shooter, but have to have him
PF: I will put Stokes here so I can add some defense with
C: Acie Earl
WILDCARD: John Johnson. Good handles, big body, great scorer

3 guard lineup: Ronnie Lester, BJ Armstrong, Fred Brown

Bigs: John Johnson and Roy Marble

I know small but we are going to press and play a lot of of match up zone, if we score 100 points a game who cares about defense

This team would be like 97 Arizona that won it all

Who would coach the all time team?

Hard to not want lute... although can you imagine how fun it would be to run the break and press TD styel with some of the names on here? We could probably average 100 points a game for the season...

This is obviously one of those things...

Starter - Backup - Alternate

PG - BJ Armstrong - Steve Carfino - Val Barnes
SG - Chris Kingsbury - Ronnie Lester - Adam Haluska - Bobby Hansen
SF - Roy Marble - James Moses - Matt Bullard
PF - Gerry Wright - Reggie Evans - Chris Street
C - Brad Lohaus - Les Jepsen - Acie Earl

Coach: Lute Olson

My starting 5 would be unstoppable. A pure PG that can score. A shooting guard that stretches the D almost to half court. A SF that can drive and score at-will. A PF that not only can dunk but rebound. A C that is big, has quick feet and is smart.

that is in the eye of the beholder, but I take it you are younger. Which is fine. But selecting Chris Kingsbury, James Moses and Gerry Wright ahead of guys like Fred Brown, John Johnson and Stokes cannot be done.

My father, who has seen Iowa basketball back the 1950s, says John Johnson was the best player he has ever seen play for Iowa. The numbers would back that up.
Johnson averaged 27.9 points a game in 1970. He also scored 699 points that season (still the Iowa season record, despite playing only 25 games that year). He also averaged 10.1 and 10.7 rebounds a game in his two seasons. Career averages of 23.9 points per game, 10.5 rebounds a game. Shot 54% from the field and 71% from the line.
Brown averaged 17.9 and 27.6 points a game his two years at Iowa, shot 50% from the field and 82% from the line. Would have had numerous more points had the 3-point line been in effect. They were the leaders of the last Iowa team to win the conference title outright (1970), 40 years ago.
Both of these guys had long, successful NBA careers. Brown played 13 years in the league, was the captain of the Sonics' 1979 championship team. His best year he finished fifth in the NBA in scoring and led the league in 3-point shooting in 1979, the first year the NBA had the line. Had the college had the 3-point line, he would have averaged over 30 points a game, easily. I'm old enough to remember his time in the NBA. He was a very good NBA player, the likes we haven't really seen here since.
Johnson played 12 years in the NBA, also in the Sonics title team with Brown. Played in 2 all-star games, averaged 13 points a game in his NBA career.
Stokes was the best low-post scorer at Iowa in my lifetime. Devastatingly effective with the left-hand moves in the paint.

Latest posts