Let's make an all time Iowa starting 5

Re: This is obviously one of those things...

that is in the eye of the beholder, but I take it you are younger. Which is fine. But selecting Chris Kingsbury, James Moses and Gerry Wright ahead of guys like Fred Brown, John Johnson and Stokes cannot be done.

My father, who has seen Iowa basketball back the 1950s, says John Johnson was the best player he has ever seen play for Iowa. The numbers would back that up.
Johnson averaged 27.9 points a game in 1970. He also scored 699 points that season (still the Iowa season record, despite playing only 25 games that year). He also averaged 10.1 and 10.7 rebounds a game in his two seasons. Career averages of 23.9 points per game, 10.5 rebounds a game. Shot 54% from the field and 71% from the line.
Brown averaged 17.9 and 27.6 points a game his two years at Iowa, shot 50% from the field and 82% from the line. Would have had numerous more points had the 3-point line been in effect. They were the leaders of the last Iowa team to win the conference title outright (1970), 40 years ago.
Both of these guys had long, successful NBA careers. Brown played 13 years in the league, was the captain of the Sonics' 1979 championship team. His best year he finished fifth in the NBA in scoring and led the league in 3-point shooting in 1979, the first year the NBA had the line. Had the college had the 3-point line, he would have averaged over 30 points a game, easily. I'm old enough to remember his time in the NBA. He was a very good NBA player, the likes we haven't really seen here since.
Johnson played 12 years in the NBA, also in the Sonics title team with Brown. Played in 2 all-star games, averaged 13 points a game in his NBA career.
Stokes was the best low-post scorer at Iowa in my lifetime. Devastatingly effective with the left-hand moves in the paint.

Very good info here, thanks much. I'm familiar with Down Town Freddy Brown in name only. I'm embarassed to say I had never even heard of John Johnson before this thread.

Maybe a bit off the wall but does Vivian Stringer get a look at the coaching job? She does have a national title after all.

I'm picking Sam Berry. Mainly because I want to show that I know who Sam Barry is.

This is by no means the best, but my favorites......
PG: Andre Woolridge
SG: James Moses
SF: Chris Kingsbury
PF: Chris Street
C: Acie Earl

PG Ronnie Lester The people that are putting Ronnie at the off-guard position, obviously, never saw him play. By far and away, the best point guard in Iowa history. However, his outside shooting was a little suspect.

SG Freddie Brown He did not have the nickname Freddie “Downtownâ€￾ Brown because it rhymed with his name.

SF Sam Williams Won the Silver Basketball as the Big Ten’s most valuable player in ’68. Lead the Hawks in scoring & rebounding. The ’68 team tied Ohio State for the Big Ten title but lost in a playoff game at Purdue. The last Hawk to win the Silver Basketball.

PF John Johnson Should have won the Silver Basketball instead of Rick Mount. The best player on the best Iowa team I have ever seen. Saw him put up 49 against Northwestern in ’70.

C Bruce King Up there in career, scoring & rebounding. Unlike the other four, there are several others that I would not have any problems putting ahead of him.

6th man Glenn Vidnovic Could play every position except for center at a very high level.

Maybe a bit off the wall but does Vivian Stringer get a look at the coaching job? She does have a national title after all.

She does? That's news. Rutgers lost to Tennessee in the title game if you're thinking about 2007.

Lute has one, but not with Iowa.

Jon, I have big troubles with you even mentioning Tom Davis as the coach of this team. Ralph won two Big Ten titles in his last three years. Iowa has won exactly one regular season title in the 41 years since the '70 team. Davis' Big Ten winning percentage is fifth all-time. In order, behind Miller, Pops Harrison, Bucky O'Conner & Lute.

There are three possible coaches for this team. Ralph Miller, Bucky O'Conner, & Lute Olson. They all at least won something. O'Conner took Iowa to back-to-back final four appearances.

Ralph has the best Big Ten winning percentage at 64.3 percent.

Also; Freddie Brown, John Johnson, Ronnie Lester & Sam Williams are in a league of their own. Then there is everybody else.

Jon, I have big troubles with you even mentioning Tom Davis as the coach of this team. Ralph won two Big Ten titles in his last three years. Iowa has won exactly one regular season title in the 41 years since the '70 team. Davis' Big Ten winning percentage is fifth all-time. In order, behind Miller, Pops Harrison, Bucky O'Conner & Lute.

There are three possible coaches for this team. Ralph Miller, Bucky O'Conner, & Lute Olson. They all at least won something. O'Conner took Iowa to back-to-back final four appearances.

Ralph has the best Big Ten winning percentage at 64.3 percent.

Also; Freddie Brown, John Johnson, Ronnie Lester & Sam Williams are in a league of their own. Then there is everybody else.

Ralph Miller was coach when I began following Hawkeyes. Tom Davis is not in same league as Lute Olson.

Ronnie Lester
Downtown Freddie Brown
John Johnson
Kevin Gamble
Kevin Kunnert
Don Nelson- 6th Man

Coach- Ralph Miller in his prime

Columbus Hawk, LOVE your team and the reasons why you chose them. I'm old enough to remember every one of those players and that special team in 1970. Glen "The Stick" Vidnovic was one of the most versatile players to ever sport an Iowa uni, and you are right about the Silver Basketball that Rick Mount won that should have been John Johnson's. I remember being a youngster at the old Fieldhouse and thinking that Kevin Kunnert was a giant. The only team I remember with the same level of fondness as the 70' squad was the 80' team that we would have won the NC had Lester not blown his knee out. Iowa BB has a rich tradition. I'm hoping Fran can get us back there. Well done!

PG: John Lickliter - he can break any press ever concocted

SG: Duez Henderson - iowa's all-time leading scorer

SF: Alex Thompson - Clutch shooter

PF: Andrew Brommer (just step back and watch him do his thang)

C: Jacob Jaacks/Guy Rucker - both good at fouling out but i gotta give jaacks the edge because of his ability to break teammates wrists

Don't forget Johnny Fort. He could dash and slash with the best of them.(He pulled a knife on a teammate)

No one has mentioned the greatest basketball player ever in Iowa City. Incredible!

His name is Connie Hawkins.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GwwGvSOaiE]YouTube - Ultimate Player - Connie Hawkins[/ame]

PG - Todd Berkanpas
SG - Bart Casey
SF - Michael Ingram
PF - Brig Tubbs
C - Jay Webb

That's my all-random '80s team. I love thinking of forgotten players off those squads. Cold winter night, down in the cozy basement with my dad, nothing but pesticide and herbicide commercials during the breaks (lots of Round-up ads)...good times.

Also, any squad I picked would need these guys coming off the bench. Loved these guys.

Jeff Moe
Kent Hill
Bill Jones

Looking back, what blows my mind is that we used to bring these guys off the bench! Think about that. Borderline NBA talent coming off our bench.

Latest posts