Let's make an all time Iowa starting 5

DuffMan

Here are the rules...

Your team must consist of one PG, one SG, one PF, and one C. The fifth player can be a SF/SG/Wing type.

All players on your team must have played at least one year as a Hawkeye (Connie is out).

Thats it, here is mine...

PG Andre Woolridge
Yes I know BJ had a much better pro career, Dre let the B10 in scoring and assists his senior year, that's pretty incredible.

SG Bobby Hansen
Played 9 years in the NBA. Enough said.

SF Roy Marble
All time scoring leader in Iowa history just can't be left off the list.

PF Don Nelson
Recognized as the best 6th man ever in the NBA he's the only Iowa player in the NBA HOF (that I'm aware of)

C Acie Earl
All time leader in blocked shots and an effective scorer around the bucket.

This was a lot harder than it looks there are tough calls literally at every position.

Last edited:
Here are the rules...

Your team must consist of one PG, one SG, one PF, and one C. The fifth player can be a SF/SG/Wing type.

Your bench must consist

All players on your team must have played at least one year as a Hawkeye (Connie is out).

Thats it, here is mine...

PG Andre Woolridge
Yes I know BJ had a much better pro career, Dre let the B10 in scoring and assists his senior year, that's pretty incredible.

SG Bobby Hansen
Played 9 years in the NBA. Enough said.

SF Roy Marble
All time scoring leader in Iowa history just can't be left off the list.

PF Don Nelson
Recognized as the best 6th man ever in the NBA he's the only Iowa player in the NBA HOF (that I'm aware of)

C Acie Earl
All time leader in blocked shots and an effective scorer around the bucket.

This was a lot harder than it looks there are tough calls literally at every position.

I think Ronnie Lester finds his way on there at one of the guard spots. Lute Olsen, to this day, claims that Lester is the best player he ever coached...that is really saying something considering the guys he has had at AZ and Iowa over the years.

I think Ronnie Lester finds his way on there at one of the guard spots. Lute Olsen, to this day, claims that Lester is the best player he ever coached...that is really saying something considering the guys he has had at AZ and Iowa over the years.

You are 4 players short.

Starter - Backup - Alternate

PG - BJ Armstrong - Steve Carfino - Val Barnes
SG - Chris Kingsbury - Ronnie Lester - Adam Haluska - Bobby Hansen
SF - Roy Marble - James Moses - Matt Bullard
PF - Gerry Wright - Reggie Evans - Chris Street
C - Brad Lohaus - Les Jepsen - Acie Earl

Coach: Lute Olson

My starting 5 would be unstoppable. A pure PG that can score. A shooting guard that stretches the D almost to half court. A SF that can drive and score at-will. A PF that not only can dunk but rebound. A C that is big, has quick feet and is smart.

Last edited:
Starter - Backup - Alternate

PG - BJ Armstrong - Steve Carfino - Val Barnes
SG - Chris Kingsbury - Ronnie Lester - Adam Haluska - Bobby Hansen
SF - Roy Marble - James Moses - Matt Bullard
PF - Gerry Wright - Reggie Evans - Chris Street
C - Brad Lohaus - Les Jepsen - Acie Earl

Dude you have 15 players listed and don't have Greg Stokes listed anywhere? That's just silly.

I haven't had time to really think about it but one things for certain. Ronnie Lester has to be the SG.

PG - BJ Armstrong
SG - Ronnie Lester
SF - Roy Marble

The bigs are pretty debatable IMO.

This is tough, so I'm making a second team as well, sorry!

PG...BJ Armstrong
SG...Ronnie Lester (Never saw him play but my dad said he had to go on the list)
SF...Roy Marble
PF...Greg Stokes
C...Acie Earl

SECOND TEAM:

PG...Andre Woolridge
SG...Freddy Brown (Dad's Favorite, Guess he was amazing)
SF...Jess Settles
PF...Gerry Wright
C....Brad Lohause

Dude you have 15 players listed and don't have Greg Stokes listed anywhere? That's just silly.

I wasn't really sure where to put him. I also questioned whether he would have the #s that he did if Payne wasn't playing alongside him. I certainly wouldn't take him over the three centers that I listed but an argument could easily be made to add him at the PF position.

PG - Armstrong (close call btw him and Woolrige, but Andre had no left hand so edge to BJ)

SG - Lester - hands down the best player to ever play at Iowa

SF - Marble - all time leading scorer during greatest era in big ten

PF - Stokes (tough call btw him and Horton)

C - Earl - top ten scorer and rebounder and #1 shot blocker....perfect at back of press

Bench Players:
Gamble
Fred Brown
John Johnson
Ed Horton
Sir Jamelot

While I agree on most all of the names, does anyone feel Ray Thompson deserves to be listed? Did he play a full year?

PG: John Lickliter - he can break any press ever concocted

SG: Duez Henderson - iowa's all-time leading scorer

SF: Alex Thompson - Clutch shooter

PF: Andrew Brommer (just step back and watch him do his thang)

C: Jacob Jaacks/Guy Rucker - both good at fouling out but i gotta give jaacks the edge because of his ability to break teammates wrists

I'm sad to say I don't know much about Lester. I know all the older kids in my neighborhood growing up loved Ronnie Lester and Michael Paine. I don't know anything about thier game nor do I remember them playing.

I think, if Lester doesn't blow his knee out, we win the NC in 1980.

Agreed. I was there in 1979-80.

I've seen many great athletes over the years, but Ronnie Lester was special. He glided across the floor effortlessly, and his quickness was deceptive...it's tough to explain. The only other player I've seen move like him...was Michael Jordan.

Latest posts