Let's calm down about Fuller

SwirlinLingerie

Nice player, nothing more. I wish he would have stayed, but the fact he's the best player on the team indicates how low the talent level is anyway.

Iowa didn't make a coaching change to be "decent" in 2010-2011, or to "contend" in 2011-2012, it made a coaching change to start over.

It'd be hard for Fran to start over with the limited number of scholarships he had available to offer over the next two years.

With as guard-centric as college basketball is these days, losing Fuller is nothing compared to Kelly, Smith, or even, gasp, Freeman.

And let's not forget we might get a couple transfers coming into the up tempo Iowa program with those open scholarships in the next year or so when they see what's happening in Iowa City.

Franny might be an old fashioned woman's name, but something tells me open scholarships means fresh young faces for the Iowa basketball program.

What if "ala Lick" the transfers don't come? Remember losing Gary and having Howard not follow Lick to Iowa? What if we lose Brust, Fuller, and Larson and don't get any transfers? What say you then?

Let's let the dust settle and see who's leaving. Let's also hope that Coach FRan has some offers up his sleeve for some immediate help.

That is what I have been saying all along. Hopefully, he has another Kenny Hasbrouk up his sleeve and a big three ready to sign in 2011. In basketball it only takes one Stephen Curry type to turn things in the right direction.

However, unless he already has this player at hand, or hires an assistant that does, it wouldn't appear likely.

What if "ala Lick" the transfers don't come? Remember losing Gary and having Howard not follow Lick to Iowa? What if we lose Brust, Fuller, and Larson and don't get any transfers? What say you then?

I will say "I'm sure glad Lickliter isnt the coach anymore"

If that were to occur, I'd say Iowa has 5 open schollies available for next season. That's what I'd say. And that would be a bad thing for the immediate season, but a good thing for the future. Why is everyone so upset that Lickliter's guys are leaving when everyone was so upset in the first place that Lickliter's guys could not compete in the Big 10?? Did you seriously think Fran was going to come in and magically inject all this talent into the current players or did it occur to you that most coaches (at any level) who have made a name for themselves as rebuilders have to tear down first - then build up. You cannot build a Taj Mahal when the previous builders were using plywood.

I would say that we should have known it would take more than 1 year to get going in the right direction. Transfers were bound to happen and we will see this play out in time. Oh and yeah, I am glad we have a new coach. The old one needed to go.

If that were to occur, I'd say Iowa has 5 open schollies available for next season. That's what I'd say. And that would be a bad thing for the immediate season, but a good thing for the future. Why is everyone so upset that Lickliter's guys are leaving when everyone was so upset in the first place that Lickliter's guys could not compete in the Big 10?? Did you seriously think Fran was going to come in and magically inject all this talent into the current players or did it occur to you that most coaches (at any level) who have made a name for themselves as rebuilders have to tear down first - then build up. You cannot build a Taj Mahal when the previous builders were using plywood.

That sir, is a fantastic analogy.

Great post. I couldn't have said it any better myself. Now is the time to gut the program and start fresh with players who want to be there and buy into Fran's new regime.

But guys, successful new coaches bring in players quickly. The guys that can't languish at the bottom of their respective leagues and eventually get canned. Even FM was able to bring in Kenny Hasbrouk at Siena. Does he have that player ready to join him at Iowa?

I just don't see guys being successful that tear down quickly and build slowly. You have to make an immediate splash. This means FM's fate, in all likelihood, will be decided by November. If he doesn't have a stock of top recruits to sign on the dotted line by then, good luck.

Again, this is why the next two coaching hires are so crucial. He needs to hire two guys that have Top 100 talent in their back pocket.

But guys, successful new coaches bring in players quickly. The guys that can't languish at the bottom of their respective leagues and eventually get canned. Even FM was able to bring in Kenny Hasbrouk at Siena. Does he have that player ready to join him at Iowa?

I just don't see guys being successful that tear down quickly and build slowly. You have to make an immediate splash. This means FM's fate, in all likelihood, will be decided by November. If he doesn't have a stock of top recruits to sign on the dotted line by then, good luck.

Again, this is why the next two coaching hires are so crucial. He needs to hire two guys that have Top 100 talent in their back pocket.

And if your posts between last night and this morning are any indication, you're not even willing to wait that long. Good grief. Who are you to say that Fran won't bring in some good players with the spots that have opened up? Don't confuse that with me saying that he will, because I don't know any more than anyone else here - but I'm at least willing to let things play out and see what happens.

There are differences in approach; Fran could do the quick fix and get some juco players to fill the gaps immediately, or he could use the open scholarships to find players that will be be here for four years and that can build the program back up.

Last edited:

I guess we shouldve just given him a 9 month contract because we will know if he needs to be fired in November. Barta, screwed up big time by not realizing this sooner.

My advice CAARHawk: stop sniffing glue

I hope more players leave. The current players just had the worst record ever and played bad basketball. No to Walthall. Let's start fresh

Also, we are losing the "best" player on a 10-win team (just a reminder for those who may have forgotten, the football team won 11 out of 13 games!).

I feel a lot better about this after sleeping on it. So we'll probably suck again next year, but let's see what Fran can do with all those open schollies now.

I agree that we don't know if FM will be able to upgrade the talent!

The uncritical optimism needs to be tempered as much as the sky is falling doom and gloom. As of right now, FM does not have a coach on the staff that has recruited in the last ten years the talent it will take to be successful in the program.

There appears to be a mass exudus of players with the athleticism to be successful in a running system.

And we don't know if FM will be able to bring in any new players and with the blackout period coming, it looks unlikely.

Now people can respond with "Great, just more scholarships to get good players!" but the fact remains that the coaches that have been successful in new major conference jobs recently built their programs really fast. It is just the nature of the beast in college basketball now.

So we don't know if the sky is falling, or the future is bright. But, we will know soon enough. If we see a recruiting class in November along the lines of Alford's Recker and Evans class things should be fine. If it looks more like Lick's Gatens, Tucker, Brommer, and Fuller group well that will not be so good.

Every thread I open I see CAARHawk getting crazier and crazier. I think "wow he's really overreacting and freaking out here" and then I open the next thread and his last post is even more knee-jerk.

Step away from the computer, take a break and see how things play out.

While I feel Fuller was the MVP of the team last year, I think his departure would have hurt much more in the old style of play. I wish him much success, but in this rebuilding of a new team and a new style I just see this as one more open position to fill with the type of athlete the new coach wants. I think these departures hurt so much more when they are players the current coach actually brought in and was counting on. Onward and upward!

I agree that we don't know if FM will be able to upgrade the talent!

The uncritical optimism needs to be tempered as much as the sky is falling doom and gloom. As of right now, FM does not have a coach on the staff that has recruited in the last ten years the talent it will take to be successful in the program.

There appears to be a mass exudus of players with the athleticism to be successful in a running system.

And we don't know if FM will be able to bring in any new players and with the blackout period coming, it looks unlikely.

Now people can respond with "Great, just more scholarships to get good players!" but the fact remains that the coaches that have been successful in new major conference jobs recently built their programs really fast. It is just the nature of the beast in college basketball now.

So we don't know if the sky is falling, or the future is bright. But, we will know soon enough. If we see a recruiting class in November along the lines of Alford's Recker and Evans class things should be fine. If it looks more like Lick's Gatens, Tucker, Brommer, and Fuller group well that will not be so good.

Fran and Andrew Francis recruited athletic talented players to Siena the Last three years. They beat Vanderbilt and Ohio State in the Tourney in that span. Get a clue CAARhawk and calm down. We do not have the great athletic talent to play the uptempo game at a high level right now...The mass exodus you speak of is of players on a 10-22 team that ran a slow down game.

How do you know that Fuller and Larson would have excelled at an uptempo style??? They both were recruited to Lick's system so stop worrying about them. Bigger and better things to come...just be patient.

Latest posts