Let the McCabe thing go - not like Luke Witte at Minny or ...

I am surprised things like this dont happen more often in the Breslin Center. I am a fan of Izzo and will watch MSU play even if not playing the Hawks. They beat the tar out of people all game long. These hand checking rules do not apply up there. Playing against that has to be frustrating.

We can all sit on our couches and say don't let them get under your skin. Its easy to do from the couch, different story on the floor. Am I defending Zach? Not really, it was not his best moment. We are a weak team mentally and physically. So i do like the fighting back part. I just wish we would have "mixed it up" earlier in the half.

Honestly, i thought zach played much better last night. Right before the incident, i was questioning why he was on the floor in a full court press situation. Playing the wing in a press is not going to be his strong suit.

I am surprised things like this dont happen more often in the Breslin Center. I am a fan of Izzo and will watch MSU play even if not playing the Hawks. They beat the tar out of people all game long. These hand checking rules do not apply up there. Playing against that has to be frustrating.

We can all sit on our couches and say don't let them get under your skin. Its easy to do from the couch, different story on the floor. Am I defending Zach? Not really, it was not his best moment. We are a weak team mentally and physically. So i do like the fighting back part. I just wish we would have "mixed it up" earlier in the half.

Honestly, i thought zach played much better last night. Right before the incident, i was questioning why he was on the floor in a full court press situation. Playing the wing in a press is not going to be his strong suit.
The only way to beat MSU is to play the same way they do on defense. If the refs are going to allow that to go on, you have to do the same thing from the opening tip. otherwise you fall into the trap of trying to adjust too late in the game and letting the refs call you for fouls that you didn't commit in the early going. Izzo's teams come out fouling from the get go and dare the refs to call them all. You have to do the same thing. Otherwise you get frustrated and beat.

I agree, this Iowa team does lack the fortitude to fight back...although what he did is not what I would consider fighting back...I would classify fighting back as boxing out the guy so hard he hits the deck...or...returning the favor and getting physical on defense if the refs won't call it...Mccabe's "throw" was not a basketball play at all...and he threw his leg out and tossed Trice. Plays like that have NO business on a basketball court.

The only way to beat MSU is to play the same way they do on defense. If the refs are going to allow that to go on, you have to do the same thing from the opening tip. otherwise you fall into the trap of trying to adjust too late in the game and letting the refs call you for fouls that you didn't commit in the early going. Izzo's teams come out fouling from the get go and dare the refs to call them all. You have to do the same thing. Otherwise you get frustrated and beat.

Exactly, I don't understand why teams/coaches can't get this...you know what you're going to get with MSU...it ain't no box of chocolates.

I'm conflicted. I think Trice was like the kid who slaps his brother while making a sound, knowing his parents will turn their heads quick enough to witness the retaliation. He was definitely being an *** and instigating a situation.

On the other hand, despite playing reasonable well yesterday, Iowa is better when McCabe doesn't play, so hopefully Fran brings the hammer down.

My prediction is that this is already forgotten by McCabe, Fran and the team and will not be addressed further.

I'm conflicted. I think Trice was like the kid who slaps his brother while making a sound, knowing his parents will turn their heads quick enough to witness the retaliation. He was definitely being an *** and instigating a situation.

On the other hand, despite playing reasonable well yesterday, Iowa is better when McCabe doesn't play, so hopefully Fran brings the hammer down.

My prediction is that this is already forgotten by McCabe, Fran and the team and will not be addressed further.

Not sure I agree with this. They were definitely tangled up and McCabe locked him up with his arm. Given Trice could have easily lowered his arm, most likely escaping the situation, but kept it up to draw attention to it. While I agree that Trice initiated the situation by raising his arm and going body to body with him, I think that Trice knew exactly what he was doing and who he was doing it to. He knew McCabe was going to respond. IMO it's McCabe's fault for taking the bait and not disengaging.

Why didn't Trice move his arm. Do you really want McCabe to get a suspension for the game at Carver Sunday against Illinois, a game we simply must win. That really seems very strange to me. I really don't understand where you are coming from on that one. Trice asked for it and he got it. That is how he plays and he paid for it.....

It was a bitter hard fought game where the refs were letting the Spartans manhandle us without calling a foul. It is on Trice, simply should have removed his arm preventing Zach from going downcourt on D.....

I personally will not see it any other way. People seem to criticize the Hawks for being pushed around and being a Weak team that gets beat up every game, and a Hawk strikes back against a player who is famous for being a nasty and extremely irritating.....

Which way do you want it. We know what Trice wanted and he got it.....

Well that part just isn't true at all... We were in the bonus in the 2nd half with 13 minutes and 23 seconds to go.

The only problem Zach did was how he did it. Being handchecked and bumped constantly by the defender is very frustrating.

I wish Gesell would have done something very early to back appling off him, like burn his *** to the rim and score or as you attempt to drive by appling to his right you extend out your elbow and get him in the ribs or stomach, if the refs are going to let them push and bump then you have to get them off of you, even if you get called, and do it early.

You really want to get someone, you do an up and under move and you put your shoulder right up through their jaw. I have had it done to me and I have done it and it is not pleasant.

Also a well placed elbow to the ribs.

Heck, just go through the lane and run right up somebody's back, all it will cost you is one foul.

White gets taken out of these physical games as does woody and gabe, that was not Uhtoff's type of game.

I would really like to see the hawks get more physical with their screens in these types of games. If appling is guarding really tight then run him into a very physical screen from the first minute of the game.

Not sure I agree with this. They were definitely tangled up and McCabe locked him up with his arm. Given Trice could have easily lowered his arm, most likely escaping the situation, but kept it up to draw attention to it. While I agree that Trice initiated the situation by raising his arm and going body to body with him, I think that Trice knew exactly what he was doing and who he was doing it to. He knew McCabe was going to respond. IMO it's McCabe's fault for taking the bait and not disengaging.

As they showed Trice walking off after this happened he had a big **** eating grin on his face n looked to keep saying "I told you". The way I kept yelling at the tv at the style of play that was being allowed, I myself would have had a tough time keeping my composure. Especially in that cage they call a gym...

The only problem Zach did was how he did it. Being handchecked and bumped constantly by the defender is very frustrating.

I wish Gesell would have done something very early to back appling off him, like burn his *** to the rim and score or as you attempt to drive by appling to his right you extend out your elbow and get him in the ribs or stomach, if the refs are going to let them push and bump then you have to get them off of you, even if you get called, and do it early.

You really want to get someone, you do an up and under move and you put your shoulder right up through their jaw. I have had it done to me and I have done it and it is not pleasant.

Also a well placed elbow to the ribs.

Heck, just go through the lane and run right up somebody's back, all it will cost you is one foul.

White gets taken out of these physical games as does woody and gabe, that was not Uhtoff's type of game.

I would really like to see the hawks get more physical with their screens in these types of games. If appling is guarding really tight then run him into a very physical screen from the first minute of the game.

I agree that physical teams really force this team out of their comfort zone, especially White and Uthoff. I watched the Cincy-Memphis game before this and Iowa and Cincy are polar opposites when it comes to physicality. Cincy has a bunch of dude who look like they would love for a brawl to break out, we've got a few guys who I'm sure wouldn't back down but not enough.

I loved Marble's missed dunk in the second half when he saw an opening and went as hard as he could and tried to throw down a monster dunk, didn't work but that's the attitude you need to have when you attack the rim in a game like that. Instead we get White and Uthoff trying to stop and pump fake and fade away near the rim.

As they showed Trice walking off after this happened he had a big **** eating grin on his face n looked to keep saying "I told you". The way I kept yelling at the tv at the style of play that was being allowed, I myself would have had a tough time keeping my composure. Especially in that cage they call a gym...

In all honesty if you got that reaction out of a player you wouldn't have had the same reaction. McCabe is known around the conference and probably the nation by this point for wearing his emotions on his sleeve. Trice played the head game and won. As I said, Zach was equally to blame for the incident and let his emotions get the best of him. Not saying Trice was a victim by any means, but the fact is that he was only 1 of the two parties involved in the altercation and he wasn't the one that lost his cool.

I wouldn't call this game physical and we didn't shy away from any contact. "Grabby" would be a better way to describe it. They tugged, pushed and swatted but they didn't do anything as far as imposing superior strength onto us. Their game was made from the 3 point line, not the paint.

That said, Uthoff and Woodbury are still just Sophomores and are still getting their man muscles. Both guys love rebounding and are good at it, especially Uthoff. That's a sure-fire sign that they can hang down low and won't be soft players.

Latest posts