Lester Erb

MJSCK

What's he known for? Recruiting? Fighting Stross on the sideline? Presiding over Dougie Fresh and theCity Boyz? Or being the coach of Wegher, Arob, Wegher, Hampton, Brinson, Pugh, McCall and Coker, among others?

Does the guy have known strengths? On the face of things, it looks like whatever position he coaches turns into chaos.

our RB's and his recruits have been high points of our team, unless you expect him to do cokers homework, walk hampton home from the bars, take arob to NA, and put the jimmy on weghers dick for him.

our RB's and his recruits have been high points of our team, unless you expect him to do cokers homework, walk hampton home from the bars, take arob to NA, and put the jimmy on weghers dick for him.

LOL. I couldn't have said it in such a hilarious manner, but these players are humans with lives outside the football complex. Ferentz can't follow them around everywhere, and neither can their position coaches. If you pick 85 random people out of the student population, you'll have more than a few that have had arrests, scholarly troubles, or have transferred. It's not their academic advisor's fault.

What's he known for? Recruiting? Fighting Stross on the sideline? Presiding over Dougie Fresh and theCity Boyz? Or being the coach of Wegher, Arob, Wegher, Hampton, Brinson, Pugh, McCall and Coker, among others?

Does the guy have known strengths? On the face of things, it looks like whatever position he coaches turns into chaos.
His strengths include coaching a guy fresh out of a furniture store to the Doak Walker, then coaching freshman into solid running backs 2 years in a row, then having a sophomre turn in the 4th best rushing season in Iowa history. Oh, and he's reeled in a good number of our best recruits over the years.

What are you this good at?

His strengths include coaching a guy fresh out of a furniture store to the Doak Walker, then coaching freshman into solid running backs 2 years in a row, then having a sophomre turn in the 4th best rushing season in Iowa history. Oh, and he's reeled in a good number of our best recruits over the years.

What are you this good at?

Sorry, but this is such a load of garbage. Put any decent B1G back behind Iowa's line and hand him the ball the amount of times Iowa hands him the ball and he is going to perform as well as Iowa's backs have performed during Erb's tenure.

With the exception of Greene, who was coached more by Jackson than Erb, these guys haven't been that great. And yes, that even means Coker. Of the top ten rushers in the conference only one TMart had a lower YPC than Coker. Also he got all the carries and powered the Hawks to the worst rushing offense in the conference. Beyond Coker, you have ARob, who again benefitted by getting all the carries, but still had BY FAR the lowest YPC of any B1G top ten yardage back. No way that dude sniffs another starting position in the conference, neither does Wegher come close.

Give Ball that many carries behind those Iowa lines and he is still running, or Royster, or Burkhead, or Redd, or Bell, or Toussaint, or Herron, or White, or LeShore, or Clay... Seriously dude, Iowa has succeeded despite their backs over the last few years, not because of them.

His strengths include coaching a guy fresh out of a furniture store to the Doak Walker, then coaching freshman into solid running backs 2 years in a row, then having a sophomre turn in the 4th best rushing season in Iowa history. Oh, and he's reeled in a good number of our best recruits over the years.What are you this good at?
Sorry, but this is such a load of garbage. Put any decent B1G back behind Iowa's line and hand him the ball the amount of times Iowa hands him the ball and he is going to perform as well as Iowa's backs have performed during Erb's tenure. With the exception of Greene, who was coached more by Jackson than Erb, these guys haven't been that great. And yes, that even means Coker. Of the top ten rushers in the conference only one TMart had a lower YPC than Coker. Also he got all the carries and powered the Hawks to the worst rushing offense in the conference. Beyond Coker, you have ARob, who again benefitted by getting all the carries, but still had BY FAR the lowest YPC of any B1G top ten yardage back. No way that dude sniffs another starting position in the conference, neither does Wegher come close. Give Ball that many carries behind those Iowa lines and he is still running, or Royster, or Burkhead, or Redd, or Bell, or Toussaint, or Herron, or White, or LeShore, or Clay... Seriously dude, Iowa has succeeded despite their backs over the last few years, not because of them.
haters gonna hate. If you dont like the running backs iowa recruits pick a different team to follow.

Nice attempt at an ad hominem attack. If you can't refute the argument, try to focus on the person making the argument. It's not just who Iowa recruits, but what is done with them afterward.

Also, with all the tuition I paid Iowa, I'll keep my fan status if you please.

Nice attempt at an ad hominem attack. If you can't refute the argument, try to focus on the person making the argument. It's not just who Iowa recruits, but what is done with them afterward. Also, with all the tuition I paid Iowa, I'll keep my fan status if you please.
You pretty much named every big ten running back and said they are all better than what Iowa had. You are a fool if you think that. Coker had a good year and you know it. Did you want all of those other backs to run behind Iowas line against Mizzou last year?? Quit being a hater. You are apart of what is bad with Iowa football.
In another thread you talked about how you expect 3 down years in a row and for us to expect it. How about staying positive and maybe some good things will happen. Quit being a negative Nancy. Im sick of reading your filth.

Funny how its gotta be Erbs fault for the RB attrition. Always have to blame it on somebody dont we. I blame it on Caarhawk and his negitive thoughts.

I saw one of those girls who's supposed to be squirting water or handing water bottles out to the players during timeouts...and she dropped one of the bottles...ON THE GROUND! Can anyone tell me how she's doing in school? Because it's obvious to me that she wasn't properly hydrating all of the players correctly and I'm pretty sure Keenan Davis got a cramp in the 4th quarter because of it...

Sorry, I was just feeling left out of the "b!tch about anyone, anything and everything"-fest...

I blame the University. Mostly for its lack of the proper shrines to the proper, wink wink, gods....

Any rb that needs a rb coach to show him how/where to run, block and etc., shouldn't call himself a rb (stupid would be a better name). A rb coach is a make work position to keep an incompetent friend on the staff, imo. Erb's special teams accomplishments speak for themselves.

Sorry, but this is such a load of garbage. Put any decent B1G back behind Iowa's line and hand him the ball the amount of times Iowa hands him the ball and he is going to perform as well as Iowa's backs have performed during Erb's tenure.

With the exception of Greene, who was coached more by Jackson than Erb, these guys haven't been that great. And yes, that even means Coker. Of the top ten rushers in the conference only one TMart had a lower YPC than Coker. Also he got all the carries and powered the Hawks to the worst rushing offense in the conference. Beyond Coker, you have ARob, who again benefitted by getting all the carries, but still had BY FAR the lowest YPC of any B1G top ten yardage back. No way that dude sniffs another starting position in the conference, neither does Wegher come close.

Give Ball that many carries behind those Iowa lines and he is still running, or Royster, or Burkhead, or Redd, or Bell, or Toussaint, or Herron, or White, or LeShore, or Clay... Seriously dude, Iowa has succeeded despite their backs over the last few years, not because of them.

I always love this assessment by fans? He is only good because the other players are good? He is only good because he gets the ball alot? Can't we really say that about 90% of the good football players in college?

CaarHawk has a point with YPC average, and with our rankings the last several years in the Big Ten. How can anyone argue with that? I guess by saying he's not a hawk fan, which is obviously not true.

Actually the assessment was about YPC. Both were at the bottom of the list of top ten rushers in the conference. ARob had more carries in 10 games than most the other rushers in the Top 10 yardage list had in 13 games. Coker had more than any B1G rusher. ARob's YPC was way below all other top 10 yardage guys, and Coker only had a better YPC than one guy.

YPC is a much better measurement than total yards. And by that measurement both guys are not in the top 2/3 of the conference.

You can all ignore that and attack me for being negative, but it doesn't change the facts.

12-22-2011 08:38 AMCAARHawk
Actually the assessment was about YPC. Both were at the bottom of the list of top ten rushers in the conference. ARob had more carries in 10 games than most the other rushers in the Top 10 yardage list had in 13 games. Coker had more than any B1G rusher. ARob's YPC was way below all other top 10 yardage guys, and Coker only had a better YPC than one guy.

YPC is a much better measurement than total yards. And by that measurement both guys are not in the top 2/3 of the conference.

You can all ignore that and attack me for being negative, but it doesn't change the facts.

I don't think I was clear. I was in total agreement with you.

This isn't about one stat vs. another stat or which stat really defines a good player vs. an average player!!! This is about a statement that any coach could have coached any decent rb and they would have done as good or better than coker. Again that is a pretty wide open statement and could be used for 90% of all college football skill players! Most people have trouble accepting such broad statements as "FACT".

1. Attrition at Rb is autrocious and you all are absolutely ignorant if you do not think the assistants have some sort of responsibility for their psoition players. And I am sorry, if you can't control a handful of guys each yr then their is a problem with your leadership skills. This is a trend in the program and everyone see's it. Is it his fault? I do not know but you sure and hell have to ask the question. Tell me who was the last great RB that made it through all 4 yrs without any problems? Erb has had 0.

2. The Special teams are awful. That is also his joint responisbility. They are so bad teams don't even respect us anymore and almost telegraph they are going to fake punt it or fake fg. This area could easily be responisble for almost every loss and in 2010 and a couple in 2011.

So if you are running a company and you have two departments that show significant problems you go to the head of that department and discuss the situation then determine if it is employee performance or leadership of that department.

I absolutely think Erb needs to be on the hot seat!

Any rb that needs a rb coach to show him how/where to run, block and etc., shouldn't call himself a rb (stupid would be a better name). A rb coach is a make work position to keep an incompetent friend on the staff, imo. Erb's special teams accomplishments speak for themselves.

Really, and the TEs should know how to block in Iowa's scheme, what routes to run. The LBS should know how to be LBS and cover in Iowa's scheme, the DBs they should know what they are doing as well. The receviers, yep, unless of course they're converted from a QB, they should know too. If a kid was an OL he should know how to block, same for the DL. etc. etc. Guess we don't need any coaches, just put these kids out there and let them go.

RBs coaches are necessary for teaching blocking, reading zone blocking etc. You do know that most of these kids in high school just ran through/by anyone they played, they actually do need a coach.

Latest posts