Leistikow: What was Barta thinking?

Those who think the media is complicit with the Iowa athletic department might want to read this article.

Those who think the media is complicit with the Iowa athletic department might want to read this article.
Are you drinking the cool aid? Hard to tell.

Ever read the biblical story of the guy who was getting fired and forgave all the debts?

I read it. It said fans are angry at him. It didn't say he's done a bad job. Your comprehension skills suck.

It implied he's doing a bad job this season. It was fair about the state of Iowa basketball in the previous few seasons. Imagine that, the media being fair and balanced.

It also mentioned other coaches buyouts: Rutgers coach Pikiell has a $14.35 million one, Indiana's Archie Miller has a $20.25 million Buyout, Mark Turgeon's is $15.8 mill. tOSU's Holtmann's is $21.5 million. Seeing these facts made me think the Hawk fan base perhaps needs to chill a bit.

Those coaches were all hired in the last couple of years and have virtually zero track record. Fran has been around for eight years and has mostly been brutally average and currently on the verge of cratering again.

Actually, the article was informative, well-balanced, and certainly places a lot of heat on GB. It certainly said a lot more than "fans are angry." My comprehension skills are pretty good; you should look in the mirror.

You are a moron who thinks this piece means Iowa has a vigilant sports media.

Last edited:
Are you drinking the cool aid? Hard to tell.

Ever read the biblical story of the guy who was getting fired and forgave all the debts?

Never been fond of cool aid. The story was balanced, which is clearly a foreign language in your world.

It implied he's doing a bad job this season. It was fair about the state of Iowa basketball in the previous few seasons. Imagine that, the media being fair and balanced.

It also mentioned other coaches buyouts: Rutgers coach Pikiell has a $14.35 million one, Indiana's Archie Miller has a $20.25 million Buyout, Mark Turgeon's is $15.8 mill. tOSU's Holtmann's is $21.5 million. Seeing these facts made me think the Hawk fan base perhaps needs to chill a bit.
It’s not about the money! It’s about sweeping this contract extension under the rug! These types of things are supposed to be positive things that you release to your fanbase and potential recruits. Not something you hide from the public.

It’s not about the money! It’s about sweeping this contract extension under the rug! These types of things are supposed to be positive things that you release to your fanbase and potential recruits. Not something you hide from the public.

This. Had the extension/buyout increase been publicly announced at the time it would have been ridiculed by a portion of the fan base but it also would have said to potential recruits: "We know this is a down year but we have full faith in Fran McCaffery and the future of Iowa basketball."

Now it comes across as a weasel AD who's content with the mediocre to low standing of his two principal revenue-producing sports and has little expectation of the coaches who run them, but who feels he needs to hide what was certain to be a controversial announcement back in November.

Increasingly coming around to the view that the fish stinks from the head. Barta needs to be replaced.

Two things:

-Knock off the name calling

-Are you objective?

Fine, no name-calling.

And if you wish to have a "discussion" about who is objective between me and him. Sure be happy to have that discussion.

I'm more objective. I apply standards that aren't "Hawkeye" specific. I'll also say that for every leistikow article like this one there are a dozen "look who donated to the hospital" articles which I consider pablum.

Fine, no name-calling.

And if you wish to have a "discussion" about who is objective between me and him. Sure be happy to have that discussion.

I'm more objective. I apply standards that aren't "Hawkeye" specific. I'll also say that for every leistikow article like this one there are a dozen "look who donated to the hospital" articles which I consider pablum.

So what? Don't read them then. He's not writing to please you. Donations to the hospital are good and should be highlighted. The Wave was the story of the year in college football and maybe all of sport.

Threads recently started by you on this board are titled:

In this thread we name all the coaches BARTA hired who turned out great

Chances Fran will be donating 1 mil to the Hospital soon?

You're tone on here is miserable and cancerous.

It's time to chill. I'm not interested in a debating this with you or you coming back defending yourself. Chill.

You're tone on here is miserable and cancerous.

It's time to chill. I'm not interested in a debating this with you or you coming back defending yourself. Chill.

I'm the cancer? Considering all that is and has gone on? Okay I'll stop posting.

People need to stop using the Painter comparison. It isn't even close.

First 7 years for Fran:
3 NCAA tournaments
2 NCAA wins
Best B1G finish: 3rd
B1G tourney record: 2-7

Painter first 7 years:
6 NCAA tournaments
8 NCAA wins
best B1G finishes: 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd
B1G tourney: 6-6, with one championship.

Anyone that cant see how one guy earned a down year or two and the other one didn't is lying to themselves.

Those guys are all brand new coaches at their schools that had to lured from someplace else, COMPLETELY different situations.