Legislation to Play UNI

Playing UNI and Savannah state at home this year makes no real difference. They're both going to end up quadrant 4 wins regardless.

Uni doesn't want to only play at Iowa City. They want Iowa to come to cedar falls or Des Moines as well. It's as much UNIs fault as it is Iowa's. I don't see Iowa agreeing to a home and home with Alabama state....why treat UNI any differently
Agree.

I don't even think it's Iowa's fault. I have no problem Iowa not playing UNI in Cedar Falls.

I do have a problem with Iowa not playing UNI on a neutral floor and scheduling three turds because it helps them "win championships."

I'm not driving and paying to watch turd games.

I don't think the legislator has much of an argument when Iowa's athletic department takes no state money even if the institution is funded by the state taxpayers.

Agree.

I don't even think it's Iowa's fault. I have no problem Iowa not playing UNI in Cedar Falls.

I do have a problem with Iowa not playing UNI on a neutral floor and scheduling three turds because it helps them "win championships."

I don't think the legislator has much of an argument when Iowa's athletic department takes no state money even if the institution is funded by the state taxpayers.

If you look around the league, basically all power 5 schools are playing cupcakes right now. It makes sense though. Finals just got over. It's the holidays. Students are away on winter break. The gruelling conference schedule is coming up. I don't blame any team for scheduling some sure fire wins right now. Glorfied bye weeks if you will

If you look around the league, basically all power 5 schools are playing cupcakes right now. It makes sense though. Finals just got over. It's the holidays. Students are away on winter break. The gruelling conference schedule is coming up. I don't blame any team for scheduling some sure fire wins right now. Glorfied bye weeks if you will
I understand.

There are Hostess cupcakes. There are Little Debbie cupcakes. And there are FranMac cupcakes.

Schedule a cupcake that could put 6K butts in the seats instead of 3K.

Agree.

They even downgrade the famous soft serve ice cream for turd games.

You get lime sherbet instead.

:p

:18 in the clip. UNI's #13 trying hard to hide the smirk on his face. And this was early in the game.

The traveling call on Brommer "Tough break for Brommer, hustled after it but couldn't keep his feet" according to announcers.

It's tough to keep your feet when someone is crashing over your back.

UNI was sticking their chests out to draw offensive fouls. Actually a smart play if you know the officials will allow it.

Firing Gary Barta and hiring a competent AD is an easier solution.
Tell GB to fix his fangs is much easier for our public image.
giphy.gif

I certainly feel a state senator should have better things to do than try to control a Universities basketball schedule. But hey, that's what he was elected for right? Why don't we make Iowa play every in-state school? Dubuque, Loras, Drake, Upper Iowa, Wartburg, should all get their shot.

We may not like how that turns out...

They had it right with the Hy-Vee Classic. Under that format, Iowa was playing Drake and UNI once every two years. I don't really understand why it is being discontinued, other than lack of a sponsor??

I disagree strongly with this. The nosebleed section seats at Wells Fargo cost $55, the next level cost around $70, and courtside cost around $90. For comparison, a few years back I went to the Iowa NCAA tourney games played at the Barclay's Center. I paid $220 for 6 games in a major postseason tournament. That's less than $40/game. I'm not paying more for a nonconference game at Wells Fargo than I would for that.

It's a great venue but the ticket prices sucked. Iowa and ISU dropped it b/c Iowa was able to use a clause to get out of it b/c of required Big 10 games increasing and ISU was happy to go along with that.

I'd be happy to alternate Drake/UNI at Carvery every year and i'd guess that's what they eventually come up with.

Who gives even half a shit if we play UNI and why should anyone try to make it law?

As far as “keeping revenue in state,” what the F does that have to do with anything, other than being a lame-ass excuse to play UNI? That revenue goes to basketball programs supported by self-funded, independent athletic programs which aren’t struggling financially, and the tiny amount that does go into the economy is a fart in the wind compared to literally any other source. Stop acting like it’s tons of public money that will help decrease your property taxes, or make your gas cheaper or something. Jesus.

Look, nobody gives a shit if you went to Iowa and your wife went to UNI, and you want to post on Facebook about your ridiculous “A House Divided” night once a year.

It’s an irrelevant non con for homers. Sort of like how all the Ma and Pa Kettles love the Iowa/ISU football game. Lose/lose for the bigger program every time.

It's because iowa needs the home game revenue.
This is complete bullshit.

“Home game revenue” from one game against UNI vs say a Bryant means dick. It’s a poor excuse with no facts behind it.

Any vacuum in dollars created by the basketball team always has and always will be absorbed by the huge amount brought in by football and the B1G. Every dime made by the athletic department goes into one pot and revenue from a couple non-con basketball games doesn’t mean shit. How do you think we fund golf and tennis? The “money” thing is just a weak justification for homers who want in state games.

“Home game revenue” from one game against UNI vs say a Bryant means dick. It’s a poor excuse with no facts behind it.

Any vacuum in dollars created by the basketball team always has and always will be absorbed by the huge amount brought in by football and the B1G. Every dime made by the athletic department goes into one pot and revenue from a couple non-con basketball games doesn’t mean shit. How do you think we fund golf and tennis? The “money” thing is just a weak justification for homers who want in state games.

I don't think we are disagreeing. I'm saying Iowa needs the home game. If UNI is willing to play every year at Iowa then it's a no brainer that you play them. They want a home and home series which is ridiculous.

Whether people show up to games against Bryant or Savannah St, they still get the season ticket revenue. Take away a home game and charge the same for season tickets and fans would be upset. You also have to take into account sponsor money.

As I've said already, I'd like to keep playing UNI every year but there is only room in the schedule to do that if UNI plays at Iowa.

You can think what you want that it's not about the money and I would say 25 to 30% is about just wanting a win and not risking going to UNI and losing and having it be a terrible loss. The other 70 to 75% is based on money. The big sports pay for themselves but if you take away the money from from one crappy home game opponent it's the sports like golf and tennis that will get their budget cut, not the revenue generating sports. We are still talking about $175k to $200k in revenue even for a crappy team like Savannah St or Bryant.

Last edited:

I would think a home game against UNI would generate more revenue than a home game against a Bryant, Savannah State, or Western Carolina.

But I'll agree with your earlier point, it doesn't mean crap for us as fans. In no way does that money funnel back to the public.

I don't think we are disagreeing. I'm saying Iowa needs the home game. If UNI is willing to play every year at Iowa then it's a no brainer that you play them. They want a home and home series which is ridiculous.

Whether people show up to games against Bryant or Savannah St, they still get the season ticket revenue. Take away a home game and charge the same for season tickets and fans would be upset. You also have to take into account sponsor money.

As I've said already, I'd like to keep playing UNI every year but there is only room in the schedule to do that if UNI plays at Iowa.

You can think what you want that it's not about the money and I would say 25 to 30% is about just wanting a win and not risking going to UNI and losing and having it be a terrible loss. The other 70 to 75% is based on money. The big sports pay for themselves but if you take away the money from from one crappy home game opponent it's the sports like golf and tennis that will get their budget cut, not the revenue generating sports. We are still talking about $175k to $200k in revenue even for a crappy team like Savannah St or Bryant.
There are a few misconceptions here...

Losing a home game would not get golf and tennis’ budgets reduced. Not even close. Non basketball/football/wrestling programs
operate at absolute bare bones levels to begin with (in other words, they can’t get a lot lower without eliminating the programs and that’s not happening), and your $175K number is a way high projection for a UNI home game. Last year basketball revenue (not including donations) was $3.7M and they played 20 home games for an average of $185K per game. There’s no way UNI nets out at that average when you consider all of the much more lucrative B1G games. But...even using your figure of $175K, that’s still .15% of athletics’ total income of over $115M last year. Less than a drop in a swimming pool.

Athletics donations alone were $16.5M Which is over 4 times as much as basketball ticket/game revenue.

People need to understand that in the days of humongous donations and network deals, ticket sales don’t mean shit. In the 80s and 90s? Yep. But it’s a whole new model now and seat money has no bearing on why we schedule where we do.

Does he have nothing better to do? I don't see how legislating schools athletic programs into playing each other should be on his priority list.

I don’t know maybe politicians could call plays from under center; “pork left, hut hut, kickback to me, pork right, hut, hut, hut

Latest posts