Legislation to Play UNI

longtimer

I see where Jeff Danielson State Senator from Waterloo is promising to submit a bill requiring Universities to play each other in basketball. They did it in football back in the 70s and really it should be easier in Basketball since there are more games. I guess I would have to support it after seeing the 3 game stretch we are in No way should we ever play a game like the last one and not schedule UNI. I know the argument is that there are less to choose from with the new Big Ten schedule but I would be surprised if there wont still be some games on future schedules like savanna State. Playing UNI keeps revenue in state provides for a lot more fan interest and would help our tournament chances. Savanna State did none of those. And UNI should be a winnable game for a good Big Ten team

I want the in state universities to continue playing each other as well but I don't want to see the government get involved. If UNI would agree to play all the games in Iowa City then this series would not end. There is little benefit for either Iowa State or Iowa to play UNI in Cedar Falls. If people are worried about keeping revenues in state playing a game in Iowa City or Ames generates way more income than playing in Cedar Falls.

I certainly feel a state senator should have better things to do than try to control a Universities basketball schedule. But hey, that's what he was elected for right? Why don't we make Iowa play every in-state school? Dubuque, Loras, Drake, Upper Iowa, Wartburg, should all get their shot.

Until we start playing Savannah State on their floor every other year, there isnt a reason to compare them and UNI.

Playing UNI and Savannah state at home this year makes no real difference. They're both going to end up quadrant 4 wins regardless.

Uni doesn't want to only play at Iowa City. They want Iowa to come to cedar falls or Des Moines as well. It's as much UNIs fault as it is Iowa's. I don't see Iowa agreeing to a home and home with Alabama state....why treat UNI any differently

I certainly feel a state senator should have better things to do than try to control a Universities basketball schedule. But hey, that's what he was elected for right? Why don't we make Iowa play every in-state school? Dubuque, Loras, Drake, Upper Iowa, Wartburg, should all get their shot.
The guy is a democrat. The only thing the democrats have been doing is a lot of crap.

Does he have nothing better to do? I don't see how legislating schools athletic programs into playing each other should be on his priority list.

They had it right with the Hy-Vee Classic. Under that format, Iowa was playing Drake and UNI once every two years. I don't really understand why it is being discontinued, other than lack of a sponsor??

They had it right with the Hy-Vee Classic. Under that format, Iowa was playing Drake and UNI once every two years. I don't really understand why it is being discontinued, other than lack of a sponsor??
It's because iowa needs the home game revenue. That is why a home and home or even 2 for 1 will never happen. The home and home format worked when the BIG conferences played fewer league games and before preseason tournaments were a big thing. There are only 5 or 6 open games to schedule each year for Iowa if they play in a preseason tournament. And they need those games to be at home. Next year they play Cincinnati for a neutral site game which revenue wise is probably similar to only half filling Carver against a terrible team so the trade off makes sense.

This whole thing is politics though. Isn't there also a state senator that every year tries to introduce a bill to have Iowa and Iowa State subsidize UNI athletics?

That was my first thought. Surely the government has bigger fish to fry than to try to force certain college basketball games.

Don't give them any more ideas.

Does he have nothing better to do? I don't see how legislating schools athletic programs into playing each other should be on his priority list.
That's why I made the crack about him being a democrat. The democrats seem to be concerned about everything except helping the American people.

That's why I made the crack about him being a democrat. The democrats seem to be concerned about everything except helping the American people.
How does whoever is running against him next not use that against him? It'd be the easiest attack add ever. If there was anything at all that he could have been stumping for instead you can say well this idiot was prioritizing sports over it... I mean come on. That'd be an indisputable thing on his record. I love sports more than I should too but there's no justifying this is there?

How does whoever is running against him next not use that against him? It'd be the easiest attack add ever. If there was anything at all that he could have been stumping for instead you can say well this idiot was prioritizing sports over it... I mean come on. That'd be an indisputable thing on his record. I love sports more than I should too but there's no justifying this is there?
Ok I can see the group doesnt want politicians to get involved. I guess I would agree with that But we might not be playing Iowa State in football if there was at least the fear of intervention. I also realize that a home and home with UNI is not a great thing for Iowa but we could at least offer to play them at Carver. One would think they might agree. I still have a problem playing a Savannah State ANYWHERE. Wasnt a the game but I bet there wasnt more tan 5000 show up to watch that "basketball game" So how many does UNI's arena hold? 5000?

Ok I can see the group doesnt want politicians to get involved. I guess I would agree with that But we might not be playing Iowa State in football if there was at least the fear of intervention. I also realize that a home and home with UNI is not a great thing for Iowa but we could at least offer to play them at Carver. One would think they might agree. I still have a problem playing a Savannah State ANYWHERE. Wasnt a the game but I bet there wasnt more tan 5000 show up to watch that "basketball game" So how many does UNI's arena hold? 5000?
There's no doubt they could schedule better and UNI isn't usually as bad as they are now either. I think it holds closer to 8k. Right in there someplace. To me if the two sides don't want to then they don't want to. I'm just not going to care if we play UNI or Drake enough to make a stink about it either way. Maybe we'll see them in the big dance down the road and it'd mean that much more...

Latest posts