Legends game - Hawks vs. Panthers

Awesome damnfinn....Jones was a beast...evasheshky and fry on amazing rebuilds and legacy builders...kudos to ferentz though....first coach in iowa history to have sustained success following a previously successful coach. For fun style brash cowboy swag...fry. final answer fry based off of willingness to innovate..personalilty...respect for the state of iowa and it's people...i'll take fry

Iowa could actually build one hell of an all star team. I suppose most porgrams could though. Lol at ISU's all star team.

Calvin jones 6'0" 220

If you're going to use this dumb *** argument, you wouldn't be able to use any player that played before the mid 90's.

Here's a hint, if any of these guys suited up for a game today it wouldn't be much of a game because they're all either old or dead.

As chosen by fan poll in 1989 marking 100th anniversary

OffensePositionPlayerYears
EMarv Cook1985-88
EJim Gibbons1955-57
OLMike Enich1938-40
OLCalvin Jones1953-55
OLJerry Hilgenberg1951-53
OLJohn Niland1963-65
OLFred "Duke" Slater1918-21
QBChuck Long1982-85
RBOzzie Simmons1934-36
RBAubrey Devine1919-21
RBRonnie Harmon1982-85
PKRob Houghtlin1985-87

If you're going to use this dumb *** argument, you wouldn't be able to use any player that played before the mid 90's.

Here's a hint, if any of these guys suited up for a game today it wouldn't be much of a game because they're all either old or dead.

Insulting me because? I don't believe listing a guy's height and weight is an argument. If you are arguing he was one of the greatest against his competition I'm on board...but why didn't chuck long dominate? You would then argue he us a better all time qb than kurt warner i suppose? Why isn't shonn greene perennial all pro? Why wasn't Robert gallery...Eric steinbach..et AL
.world beaters? I'm saying I chose linemen who proved to be high quality nfl players..it's hypothetical...he was a stud college lineman for his time...crown him then...its your list...its just up for discussion.

No it wasn't. No they aren't. Yes you can. No they wouldn't.

Yep my bad...Tim dwight and his 2900 pro receiving yards put the hawks over the top. You all missed the point...i was simply realizing how great of a tradition rich history they had...i'm always putting together current 22 player iowa only nfl teams for fun..no qbs..rbs..wr to compete. EVERYWHERE else we could field avg to good to even best units in the nfl (offensive line)

Insulting me because? I don't believe listing a guy's height and weight is an argument. If you are arguing he was one of the greatest against his competition I'm on board...but why didn't chuck long dominate? You would then argue he us a better all time qb than kurt warner i suppose? Why isn't shonn greene perennial all pro? Why wasn't Robert gallery...Eric steinbach..et AL
.world beaters? I'm saying I chose linemen who proved to be high quality nfl players..it's hypothetical...he was a stud college lineman for his time...crown him then...its your list...its just up for discussion.

First of all, I didn't insult you, I insulted your argument. Obviously players that played 60 years ago will be smaller, because people in general were smaller and they didn't have the training programs they do now.

Long was a better college quarterback than Warner, that can't be debated. Now I think you've confused yourself of what kind of challenge you threw out. Considering this is a college message board discussing two college teams, I assumed you wanted to compare college players to college players.

Also, I look forward to your many posts after this weekend.

I am a hawkeye...born and raised in denver, ia...proud denver cyclone...iowa hawkeye....living in waterloo . Go Hawks!!!!! Geez..have fun with it...i was simply impressed by the pitt alum :) rough crowd! I've been a gawker here for 5+ years..decided to contribute :)

Personally, I enjoyed the list. The point is that there are a lot of amazing NFL players that have come from Pitt. Fortunately, none of those guys will be on the field on Saturday.

I'm an Arizona Cardinals season ticket holder and a big fan of Larry Fitzgerald. He should be in the HOF someday as well.

Iowa's all-time NFL legends list may pale in comparison, but I like our chances on Saturday.

Go Hawks!

First of all, I didn't insult you, I insulted your argument. Obviously players that played 60 years ago will be smaller, because people in general were smaller and they didn't have the training programs they do now.

Long was a better college quarterback than Warner, that can't be debated. Now I think you've confused yourself of what kind of challenge you threw out. Considering this is a college message board discussing two college teams, I assumed you wanted to compare college players to college players.

Also, I look forward to your many posts after this weekend.
Well I certainly joined to celebrate my hawks with others so o look forward to it as well. I never feel anyone has to agree with me..in fact I appreciate the check by others on my list...its great banter. I definitely should have considered cal Jones though..just look at a picture of him..underneath him should be one simple description...brick $h!+house lol yea it leaves it open to any discussion...which can be fun..I was thinking every player in their prime..today..the dead are made 22-29 and alive to play...in today's game...because I want to win today...yes it is going to be a modern version..but the pitt players I mentioned are all 70s and newer...so I'd take the 1900-1960 hawk all stars in most battles yes :)

Qb - Dan Marino (hall of fame)
Rb - Tony Dorsett ( hof)
Rb - Lesean McCoy (all pro)
Rb - Craig " Ironhead " Heyward
Rb - CurtisMartin (hof)
WR - Larry Fitzgerald (all pro)
Te - Mike Ditka (hof)
Ol - Russ Grimm (hof)
Ol - Bill Fralic (all pro)
Ol - Reuben Brown (all pro)
Ol - Mark May (all pro)
Ol - Mark Stepnoski (all pro)

Nt - Bill Maas (all pro)
DE - Chris Doleman (hof)
Lb - Rickey Jackson (hof)
Lb - Hugh Green (all pro)
Lb - Joe Schmitt (hof)
DB - Derrell Revis (all pro)

I like our chances this year vs. This year's pitt panthers!

Hugh Green played DE in college. And I would LOVE to play a team that only lined up six guys on D.

you don't have to wonder. It was pretty obvious. Not sure why he thought he needed to pretend to be an Iowa fan to talk about Pitt though.

The best part was when he lists Kinnick as the starting tailback and then dismisses Cal Jones because he was just a college all-american who didn't play in the pros and played a long time ago so couldn't compete with modern players.

For the record, Kinnick probably wouldn't be Iowa's tailback anyway, he was better on defense.

He must know a TON about Iowa football if he's dismissing Cal Jones on our "legend" list. He'd prolly keep Roy Marble off the b-ball list, too.

A lot of thought into this lol PLENTY of choices for oline vs rb...seriously..if not kinnick who ? Shonn greene..ding ding ding we have a winner...yes cal Jones could have been a great pro..had we had 2 or 3 other rbs to even consider kinnick would be gone and we rename the stadium shonn greene stadium. I still have two 8485 chuck long jerseys one with rose bowl patch and both worn out as I was a 6th grade backyard all american iowa qb tossing for well over 1000 tds at the corner of Franklin and mill streets in denver iowa..a block north of kurtts grocery

Cal Jones DID play pro ball

Paul Krause and Emlem Tunnell (both Hawks and NFL HOFers) are #1 and #2 in career interceptions in NFL history.

Paul Krause and Emlem Tunnell (both Hawks and NFL HOFers) are #1 and #2 in career interceptions in NFL history.

Folks folks folks my list wasn't all inclusive...just getting a defense started and no I'm not starting a 6-0 220 lb lineman over any of the great hawkeye lineman of the ferentz era...nope..not even cal jones...sorry....deal. Yanda steinbach gallery weigman, Bulaga scherrf reiff..i'd take every one of them over cal Jones

He must know a TON about Iowa football if he's dismissing Cal Jones on our "legend" list. He'd prolly keep Roy Marble off the b-ball list, too.

Roy marble is my favorite hawkeye bball player of all time and you'd rank him the greatest u of iowa basketball player ever but gamble and Armstrong both made it in the nba...lohaus...all more valuable to every nba team than marble. My favorite hawkeye by a landslide...not to mention all the other great hawkeyes that actually had a jumpshot lol Roy didn't need it in college but you need it at the next level

Latest posts