Leaving free-throw line

hawkfarmer

When you are the shooter can you leave the line as soon as it leaves your hand? If that is the rule, as I believe it is, then Craft was completely legal and got screwed on a headsy play.

For some reason I thought it was leave the line when the ball hits/reaches the rim...but I could be wrong.

When you are the shooter can you leave the line as soon as it leaves your hand? If that is the rule, as I believe it is, then Craft was completely legal and got screwed on a headsy play.

The shooter can't leave the line until ball hits the rim.

I slow motioned it on my tv and his foot DOESN'T hit the ground until after the the ball hits the rim. So is the rule that your body can't be past the line?

The right shooter could slam home misses all day. For instance, let Durant do that and he scores two every time.

Exactly..

I was waiting to see why he thought that, before responding. It would be crazy to think what basketball would become without that rule.

Not sure why you say that is a dumb rule?

Agreed. You learn about that rule when you first start playing basketball. Otherwise the shooter would have an advantage of knowing when he is going to shoot the ball and gets a head start to retrieve the rebound. Which is just what Craft did.

I don't see whats dumb about it either. Cause todays players could run and jump to shoot a layup from there if it didn't matter when you left the line. But the biggest reason why is just what happend there. It gives shooter an advantage as to getting the board. It's been a rule for a long long time. Learned it before playing organized JR high ball.