Learning From The Purdue Game.

MelroseHawkins

If the Iowa players didn't learn something from the Purdue game, then something is wrong. Something is clearly amiss with Iowa. The team doesn't seem to gel or have the camaraderie of past Iowa teams. Do they get along? Is there some distention among some players?

This Iowa team does not play team ball at all. Do certain players have their own agenda? Too many alpha dogs on one team? Something is just not right. If they didn't learn from playing against Purdue and how Purdue plays team basketball, then they never will. Purdue played almost perfect team basketball passing the ball around, reversing the ball and making the extra pass to get high percentage shots.

Dan Dakich pointed out a very good point that the Iowa players are not talking AT ALL on the court. This is completely true when watching them. There is absolutely no talk on defense helping each other out. In addition, there are no compliments to each other or any kind of intensity, besides Garza last game. No high fiveing, chest bumps, etc. NOTHING!

The no talking during game play is evident they and the heads of many of the players are not in this, and I'm not sure they will be by the end of this year.

They all need to learn something from Purdue.

drop mic.

I believe they have lost interest b/c our coach and staff has as well. I've noticed the same things also. No emotion, or high energy. It's as if they're scared. I think most just want this season to end. We'll see how they respond against Wisconsin. I hope they can get a W

I would only take issue with the opening sentence in that you could replace "Purdue" with Rutgers, Ohio State, etc., etc., all the way back to the Cayman Islands. These are repeating themes in each game. The conclusion I draw is that 1) they are incapable of learning, or 2) are not interested in learning, or 3) both - doesn't really matter, it all leads to the same result. The only difference is that as the season progresses, the losses are getting worse - that would be a sign that the team has essentially tanked on the season. I would sure hope not, but something is rotten in Denmark.

Seems like the two leadersof the team are Cook and Bohannon and neither one of them seem to be leaders of any kind. Baer is the upperclassman who starts but he doesn't seem interested in leading either.

Say what you want about Woodbury but he was at least very vocal

It's crazy how the bigs get the ball and play as though they've never received coaching on what to do with it. Don't seem to pass well from there. Don't seem to keep their head up for cutting players. Don't use any size behind their moves to the rim. -besides Cook during flashes of brilliance.

This is what happens when you blow smoke up players' asses on a regular basis (phenomenal, spectacular, unbelievable, etc)....because when the going gets tough, every Iowa team under Fran has wilted. That comes from having exactly ZERO mental toughness.

They are overwhelmed and tired. Fran's behavior would point that somewhere along the line he overstepped something. What that was I wouldn't know, but he seemed quite humiliated and seemed like his hands were tied.

I would only take issue with the opening sentence in that you could replace "Purdue" with Rutgers, Ohio State, etc., etc., all the way back to the Cayman Islands. These are repeating themes in each game. The conclusion I draw is that 1) they are incapable of learning, or 2) are not interested in learning, or 3) both - doesn't really matter, it all leads to the same result. The only difference is that as the season progresses, the losses are getting worse - that would be a sign that the team has essentially tanked on the season. I would sure hope not, but something is rotten in Denmark.

True with your first sentence. We all realize it's been multiple games against different competition. The only reason I pointed out Purdue is that Purdue is one of a few teams that actually runs a pure motion offense, which they should take something away from.

Many offenses teams run now are a mixture or blend of some cuts and one-on-one isolation plays, or chuck a three. Many of the true pure motion offenses where it's rinse and repeat cuts is all but gone. Purdue still does it and what is unique with their motion is that they do it with many curl cuts which I really like in basketball.

If the Iowa players didn't learn something from the Purdue game, then something is wrong. Something is clearly amiss with Iowa. The team doesn't seem to gel or have the camaraderie of past Iowa teams. Do they get along? Is there some distention among some players?

This Iowa team does not play team ball at all. Do certain players have their own agenda? Too many alpha dogs on one team? Something is just not right. If they didn't learn from playing against Purdue and how Purdue plays team basketball, then they never will. Purdue played almost perfect team basketball passing the ball around, reversing the ball and making the extra pass to get high percentage shots.

Dan Dakich pointed out a very good point that the Iowa players are not talking AT ALL on the court. This is completely true when watching them. There is absolutely no talk on defense helping each other out. In addition, there are no compliments to each other or any kind of intensity, besides Garza last game. No high fiveing, chest bumps, etc. NOTHING!

The no talking during game play is evident they and the heads of many of the players are not in this, and I'm not sure they will be by the end of this year.

They all need to learn something from Purdue.

drop mic.

There is no "learning" that can really happen at this point of the season. Yes, teams get better or worse as the season goes on but the character of a team is established prior to the first game being played. Iowa has played loose and sloppy all year, but it didn't matter in the first few games against the terrible teams. When Iowa was down 37-17 at half to Lafayette, that pretty much said what Iowa is and has been this year. It's one thing to lose to Lafayette, but to get run off the floor in a manner like that in a half by ULL was shocking. It looked as if Iowa hadn't practiced at all, and had no idea of what it was or how it would go about beating good teams.

No one but the team knows what has gone on to get to this point.

Seems like the two leadersof the team are Cook and Bohannon and neither one of them seem to be leaders of any kind. Baer is the upperclassman who starts but he doesn't seem interested in leading either.

Say what you want about Woodbury but he was at least very vocal

Nobody is really stepping up to be that vocal leader. Same problem Iowa football had with their defense a few years ago. Nobody wanted to be that team leader on the field.

It's crazy how the bigs get the ball and play as though they've never received coaching on what to do with it. Don't seem to pass well from there. Don't seem to keep their head up for cutting players. Don't use any size behind their moves to the rim. -besides Cook during flashes of brilliance.

Cook's passing out of the post is absolutely horrible, even when he is facing the basket. IMO, Cook is a pretty one-dimensional player at this point. Not what I expected as far as that goes. He's athletic and can go to the rim hard and dunk when it is there, but anything outside of 8ft seems to be a challenge for him. Add an obvious lack of defense play and you have a one role player.

This is what happens when you blow smoke up players' asses on a regular basis (phenomenal, spectacular, unbelievable, etc)....because when the going gets tough, every Iowa team under Fran has wilted. That comes from having exactly ZERO mental toughness.

They need a few more Chris Streets on this team, that is for sure.

This very well may be the reason KF and Iowa football recruits the players they recruit. Looking for those hungry players that are going to work.

If they didn’t know going into Saturday, they certainly won’t learn after Saturday. They think teams just magically shoot 65% against them. Just unlucky.

Exactly. If they didn't learn from the other games you mentioned, then I don't think it's going to happen. I hate to say it, but that's what I believe.

I went to Saturday's game and I learned we are who we thought we were...we are slow all over the place. On defense, we can't close out or find the shooters, we can't stop dribble penetration, and helping out is no where to be found. On offense, much of the same. Not many players on the Hawks can create their own shot, certainly not going to blow by defenders off the dribble. Purdue just took away anything we tried to run with in our face defense. I must give Garza credit for looking like he had a pulse. He hit some nice open looks from deep and that was about the only good thing I saw. If Wisky comes to town Tuesday and hammers us I think winning another game is a long shot. We should match up pretty well against the Badgers as far as speed goes.

Latest posts