Learn the game (playoffs)

Good find. Now you just need to find some articles that explain the following:

Non-semifinal Contract bowls and Access bowls and who is obligated or contracted to take what teams.

The big ten bowl tiers and how that all works.

Good find. Now you just need to find some articles that explain the following:

Non-semifinal Contract bowls and Access bowls and who is obligated or contracted to take what teams.

The big ten bowl tiers and how that all works.

The B1G part is easy: win the division to get to B1G CG. It's almost like the 1970s, i.e., better win the conference if you ewant Rose/BCS/Playoff. Otherwise, it could be anything from the Bluebonnet Bowl to the Poulan Weedeater Bowl, and who wants to play in a bowl in Laramie on December 23?

Best just to win the conference and let the hacks tell us whether we're going to Pasadena or Florida...

Good Lord... Why is Condi Rice on the selection committee?

How long will college football succeed in spite of itself?

Good Lord... Why is Condi Rice on the selection committee?

How long will college football succeed in spite of itself?

Because she's pretty intelligent and knows football. Seems like a pretty accomplished person to me. I'm OK with it. She's more accomplished than any of us football wizards here on this board.

Because she's pretty intelligent and knows football. Seems like a pretty accomplished person to me. I'm OK with it. She's more accomplished than any of us football wizards here on this board.

In my opinion, we've gone full circle back to the days of AP and Coaches Polls selecting the NCAA championship contenders. By that I mean we have a committee instead of two polls. It is still arbitrary. And, football is so much different that hoops, I think it is a shame you cannot be your conferences champion but still win a national title. This has E$ecPN all over it. E$ecPN and the $EC are two whores who will ruin college football. This really seems like a scham to me. Another untouchable committee who will pick the best t.v. matchups, instead of the best teams.

I've got no problem with Condi in general and know that she has done many great things, but do I think she belongs on the selection committee? Uhhhh, no.

I'd rather have LSUfreak on there.

Good start....not nearly enough.

At the end of this thing there will be:

#1...16 teams, seeded via selection committee. SoS will rule the day, taking a queue from the NCAA BB committee. BTW, need to get a couple of BB selection members on the committee.

#2...Automatic bids to respective conference champs. After that, nothing guaranteed. ND will beg to join a conference, any conference.

#3...First two rounds, higher seeded team gets home field advantage, keeping money 'in town' rather than in some FL city. Reward for season excellence.

#4...Last two rounds exactly the same as it is now...major bowls switch around each year to host semi's.

#5...Highest bidder gets champ game. Revenues will double or triple current payouts.

Rest of bowl games and teams chosen exactly how it is now.

Call it the "NIT" process...don't make it to the 16 team playoff?, welcome to the Outback bowl. And all NIT bowls will be played before the semi's.

This is how it's going to end up.

Last edited:
Good start....not nearly enough.

At the end of this thing there will be:

#1...16 teams, seeded via selection committee. SoS will rule the day, taking a queue from the NCAA BB committee. BTW, need to get a couple of BB selection members on the committee.

#2...Automatic bids to respective conference champs. After that, nothing guaranteed. ND will beg to join a conference, any conference.

#3...First two rounds, higher seeded team gets home field advantage, keeping money 'in town' rather than in some FL city. Reward for season excellence.

#4...Last two rounds exactly the same as it is now...major bowls switch around each year to host semi's.

#5...Highest bidder gets champ game. Revenues will double or triple current payouts.

Rest of bowl games and teams chosen exactly how it is now.

Call it the "NIT" process...don't make it to the 16 team playoff?, welcome to the Outback bowl. And all NIT bowls will be played before the semi's.

This is how it's going to end up.

I would agree although I think the vast majority of bowl games will go away, there might be a few smaller ones left but fan bases will no longer be excited to travel to them. All the TV money will pouring into the playoffs so the bowls will get less sponsorship money, the bowls won't be able to force such large ticket allotments on schools and soon most schools will begin declining the bowl bids all together. It will be mostly MAC level schools still playing in bowl games.

I suspect there will be a place for bowls. Schools, fans and AD's still like to get 1 more game - for a lot of reasons. And the local chamber of commerce in a far away place is happy to accommodate. So long as there are lowly ranked / unranked Iowa's out there who bring 20,000 fans to far away cities, there will be a bowl for them.

TV made us believe that these bowls were some kind of playoff miscarage. They never were - but rather they were creatures of commerce from the start.

Last edited:
She's also a war criminal who belongs in federal prison, so she's got that going for her.

Latest posts