Learn the game (playoffs)

Good start....not nearly enough.

At the end of this thing there will be:

#1...16 teams, seeded via selection committee. SoS will rule the day, taking a queue from the NCAA BB committee. BTW, need to get a couple of BB selection members on the committee.

#2...Automatic bids to respective conference champs. After that, nothing guaranteed. ND will beg to join a conference, any conference.

#3...First two rounds, higher seeded team gets home field advantage, keeping money 'in town' rather than in some FL city. Reward for season excellence.

#4...Last two rounds exactly the same as it is now...major bowls switch around each year to host semi's.

#5...Highest bidder gets champ game. Revenues will double or triple current payouts.

Rest of bowl games and teams chosen exactly how it is now.

Call it the "NIT" process...don't make it to the 16 team playoff?, welcome to the Outback bowl. And all NIT bowls will be played before the semi's.

This is how it's going to end up.

Sounds good, but that would really stretch out the season. Do you cut back to 11 games again?

And imagine Iowa or Wisconsin or Michigan hosting a game in December. Brrr.

I would love 16 teams but man, that could be adding three or four more games to your schedule. As a fan, that would rock! But would presidents go for it? Games durning finals weeks? Christmas? And could you fill stadiums? Imagine Iowa makes the field. Do you go to first game? Or do you risk hoping they win so you can go to second game? Nevermind, hell, I'd get to em all. Just win, Iowa, and I'll be there.

Sounds good, but that would really stretch out the season. Do you cut back to 11 games again?

And imagine Iowa or Wisconsin or Michigan hosting a game in December. Brrr.

Good point about the length of season. I'd think #11 games would be enough data to select the #16 teams.
And right on about BRRRR...get a southern team to have to travel to a northern team's home field....about time!

I would love 16 teams but man, that could be adding three or four more games to your schedule. As a fan, that would rock! But would presidents go for it? Games durning finals weeks? Christmas? And could you fill stadiums? Imagine Iowa makes the field. Do you go to first game? Or do you risk hoping they win so you can go to second game? Nevermind, hell, I'd get to em all. Just win, Iowa, and I'll be there.

Length of season is a good point...although not much longer than now with a bowl game. NUMBER of games played though is a legitimate concern. #11 regular season games should suffice I'd think.

I think Kinnick would easily sell out. Now, about lack of traveling Iowa fans to the next two games....understood....but.....the majority of revenue is coming from TV, not butts in seats. Sad to say, but true.

I just don't think 16 teams make sense. There are really only 3 or 4 teams that could make a legit case for deserving of a shot at the title each year. I like it the way it is but it won't stay this way long because there is just too much money at stake.

I'd be interested to see how many undefeated teams were left at the end of regular season games over the past 10 years. I doubt there were ever more than 4. So, four would seem fair number for the playoff field.

I don't care if you're an SEC team that lost to another good SEC team for your one loss. It's still a loss.

As conferences have grown, I've often thought that there would be more pressure eventually to add the number of games to the season.

Now there is already pressure to extend the playoffs beyond 4 teams. Heck they already have the other major bowls in a group just outside the finals who rotate in and out and who's teams are selected by the panel. Its foundation is built to expand to more than 4 teams. It will happen in due time.

I don't see both of those things happening. However money has a way of influencing decisions in college football.

I suspect there will be a place for bowls. Schools, fans and AD's still like to get 1 more game - for a lot of reasons. And the local chamber of commerce in a far away place is happy to accommodate. So long as there are lowly ranked / unranked Iowa's out there who bring 20,000 fans to far away cities, there will be a bowl for them.

TV made us believe that these bowls were some kind of playoff miscarage. They never were - but rather they were creatures of commerce from the start.

I think there will be a "hangover effect" during the following year for a team that goes to the championship game (after a conference championship game and a semi-final game). It is going to be hard to get that fan base mobilized for a mediocre bowl. They are more like to save their money for the next time their team makes the playoff, especially if they go to 8 teams.

Latest posts