Laurence Holmes Goes Off On Fran

The more negative Chicago press we get just means all is right in the world of IL-IA basketball.

Fran seems to keep most of his guys that are major contributors and most all of them have great things to say about him. His program is totally a family atmosphere - fun, healthy, happy...but super close knit and kind of closed off in my view. Fran can come off as smug, people don't like, just ask the president, or Tom Izzo, or Bill Bellicheat, or Coach K .... ya know?

Fran hates basketball and his players....sure. He's only been involved in basketball his ENTIRE F'ING LIFE. Also two of his own kids play for him which means he hates his own children?

Such a stupid take. Fran sometimes deserves the crap he gets for his tantrums, but this is just too off base

Just another cheap shot sports media guy looking for attention. Ratings are probably down. Yawn.

Laurence is the afternoon host on Chicago sports talk radio station WCSR. His comment of Fran this afternoon, and this is pretty much direct and no paraphrase "Fran's a hater. He hates basketball, he hates players, and he hates fun."

Fran is far from perfect and his bench demeanor can be both embarrassing and detrimental to winning. But this sounds to me like another Chicago media personality taking a general swipe at an Iowa coach, and someone he has probably never met.

Alford probably deserved the viatrol he still gets to this day from Dan Bernstein and others. Fran? Not even close.

It doesn't even make sense.

Obviously another Shock Jock.

Primarily to poison the recruiting water in Chicago and Downstate.

I mean, when has a Chicago sports talking head EVER cared about ANYTHING that happens in Iowa

BTW, who the hell is laurence Holmes?
Probably since when we walked in and got a kid like Ulis out of their backyard to come instead of staying in state. Only guess I have. And the DP show is about the only sports talk radio I listen to much. No clue who that dude is.

He hates basketball and he hates players? Lol what?
Right!? Because he hates his two oldest sons so much he makes them play for him too... What a jerk of a coach he must be... Give me a break. Hyperbole shock jock radio at it's not so finest.

Probably since when we walked in and got a kid like Ulis out of their backyard to come instead of staying in state. Only guess I have. And the DP show is about the only sports talk radio I listen to much. No clue who that dude is.
Exactly.

Illinois was once Iowa's most hated rival. I remember Ed Horton and Ken Norman having to be separated in the tunnel at halftime once. But they haven't been relevant enough in anything for a while to be hated. Maybe that worm is turning.

Illinois hates Iowa with a passion because they think they should be so much better than us, but they aren't. Even the year Illinois made it to the final game, Iowa damned near beat them at home but Pierce missed some clutch late free throws. They hate our football team, too.

Iz generally doesn't look like he's going to kill someone when he's mad.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Fran must have turned down an interview request
I remember Kirk turned down Rome's show (when he used to be relevant) back after the Orange bowl I think, and man, did he ever turn into a Iowa hater. Kirk said something like "I don't like his type of show." Rome and Coward are part of the yell the loudest and create non-existent controversy crowd the ruined ESPN. It's funny that Iowa and Notre Dame are essentially the same types of team. The difference is that "so called" sports media journalist love it when the Irish have a chance to play in the Playoffs but hate it when Iowa is in consideration. It's the same in basketball, Iowa doesn't pass the eye-ball test for them. I think the media has a Fran cam going at all times in case he melts down. Izzo was face to face with their star player who basically yelled right back at Izzo and lasted for half the game. The announcers kept heaping praise on Izzo.

I remember Kirk turned down Rome's show (when he used to be relevant) back after the Orange bowl I think, and man, did he ever turn into a Iowa hater. Kirk said something like "I don't like his type of show." Rome and Coward are part of the yell the loudest and create non-existent controversy crowd the ruined ESPN. It's funny that Iowa and Notre Dame are essentially the same types of team. The difference is that "so called" sports media journalist love it when the Irish have a chance to play in the Playoffs but hate it when Iowa is in consideration. It's the same in basketball, Iowa doesn't pass the eye-ball test for them. I think the media has a Fran cam going at all times in case he melts down. Izzo was face to face with their star player who basically yelled right back at Izzo and lasted for half the game. The announcers kept heaping praise on Izzo.
I sorta remember that time when KF turned down a Rome interview. KF being how he is though I'm not sure he ever publicly said why he turned it down though. I think that was one sided from Rome and yeah he just held a grudge over the program for pretty much that run of 3 yrs where we were in the top 10. He didn't have a ton of nice things to say. I haven't heard 10 words from Rome in a long long time. Is he still on the radio/tv? I thought he'd disappeared with all that $ he'd made. I bet he's the highest paid sports radio dude of all time with as long as he'd been doing it.

Latest posts