Last year after four games...

Jon:

Neither of those teams was strong enough to end up in the Rose Bowl. While they were able to put together strong seasons, they both finished behind other teams. In 2004 it was UM, in 2009 it was OSU. That is what I meant. They were good, but the lack of an overpowering run game left them out of the top spot in the Big Ten.

Now, that being said, the running situation right now looks a bit more like it has the potential to be like 2004 than 2009. That would mean the Hawks would probably need other B10 teams to stumble to get a share of the title instead of being able to win the title outright. Now if they were able to find another back who could ramp upnthe run game things would be different.

Every time I see a CAARHawk post like this, I feel like I should respond with something witty. But then I remind myself that this is the guy who said we'd all know if Coach Fran was the right guy by Thanksgiving of this year.

Again, this.

We're IOWA. No matter what some people think, this is not a 'glamour' team - it never has been. No one outside of the alumni and people who live in Iowa (especially on the coasts and in the media) will ever look at the Hawkeyes in the same way they look at OSU or Michigan. We don't have the cachet those teams have. We grind. We work as a team - remember we had other standout players than just SG in '08. We win ugly (observe - last year). But we have earned the respect of coaches and teams, especially in the hard knocks conference we play in.

National title? Even if we blew out every single team and ran up the score for the coveted 'style points' (do I hear quacking?), the powers that be would never let it happen. And as much as it would be well-deserved if we had gone 12-0, I'd rather play well - our way - and finish the season taking out the Big 10 before the playoffs start and grab the roses.

KF will make sure the team remembers this game - I'm sure the image of an AZ player sitting on Stanzi has been sent to every O-lineman with the words, "Don't EVER let this happen again." Our special teams players probably won't be able to sit for at least a week (if you catch my drift ;p). And the D? I wouldn't go anywhere near the front four - they're mad now.

This may have been the best thing for this team. They won't forget...

GO HAWKS.

"Dress well, and drink a lot - that's what college is for."
- Ian Shoales

Great post and a great way of looking at things for where we now sit.

the reason is it's hard to shake...is...this was gonna be the year...everything was set up for a natl championship run....and now that is OVER............

LSU won it all with 2 losses ... we can still (with one loss, on the road, by one late score)

Latest posts