Last Jedi

Darth Vader was not in the last two Star Wars movies. He died in Return of the Jedi, Episode 6. And when Luke opened a can of whoop ass on the First Order it was pretty impressive, more so than anything Vader did.

I believe he was referring to this scene from Rogue One.

George was a great world builder, and could tell a good story when he had people around him to bounce ideas off him, or just flat out tell him "no that's a dumb idea". With the prequels, so much of his crew was afraid to criticize him or his decisions. And, as much as he did screw up, his the feel and tone of his version of Star Wars was consistent. Now that they lost his voice, there is an obvious difference. TFA had it a little bit. Rogue One not as much, but it was intended to be different. TLJ does not.

Darth Vader was not in the last two Star Wars movies. He died in Return of the Jedi, Episode 6. And when Luke opened a can of whoop ass on the First Order it was pretty impressive, more so than anything Vader did.
Rogue one, you know what I mean.

I believe he was referring to this scene from Rogue One.

Chronologically, Rogue One was between "Revenge of the Sith" and "A New Hope"; kind of Episode 3.5. The last two are "The Force Awakens" and "The Last Jedi".

I liked it. Everyone has their own idea on where the story should go. This is one.

The real spoiler alert - It's all make believe. Every part of it. Oops, sorry.

Someone please explain this to me:

The first/original came out in 1977. I was 15. I went to see it. It was good. I went to see the next one. It, too, was good. I enjoyed both. When the thrid came out while I was in college, I watched--mainly because it had Carrie Fisher in a bikini--and thought it was good, but it certainly didn't "captivate" me.

Forty years later, men my age get dressed up in costume to go see the premier of the latest release. What am I missing?

I've never seen any of the series other than the first 3. My thought was why mess with a masterpiece trilogy? Part of being in the artistic community is creativity and inventing something totally new, especially if you're in film making.
My thoughts hearken back to the Godfather movies. When G III came out it was obvious it was made only to cash in on the franchise and not make any real artistic statement. I'm getting the same feeling with this overdoing of Star Wars.

I'm with you on that. I rarely bother with sequels. Haven't bothered with Star Wars after the three original movies. I thought I would eventually see them, but it has never come up.

The first/original came out in 1977. I was 15. I went to see it. It was good. I went to see the next one. It, too, was good. I enjoyed both. When the thrid came out while I was in college, I watched--mainly because it had Carrie Fisher in a bikini--and thought it was good, but it certainly didn't "captivate" me.

Forty years later, men my age get dressed up in costume to go see the premier of the latest release. What am I missing?
I think it’s usually more about what they are missing and it’s women.

You're missing this.

I grew up with Star Wars, and the prequels came out during my childhood, but I see it as this. At the time of the original release, very few films had special effects to the level of Star Wars. I'd argue that a lot of them still stand up pretty well today. The plot was alright, and the score was pretty good, but the special effects were outstanding. And, in a period without VCR or replays on TV, the only way to experience it again was to buy another ticket and watch it at the theater another time. So, through word of mouth and people who wanted to see it again, ticket sales exploded, turning it into a unprecedented hit. Humorously, 20th Century Fox wrote it off as a summer filler movie, and allowed George Lucas to keep all of the merchandising rights to Star Wars, making him filthy, stinking rich.

But, as many sci-fi nerds do, the fans began to take ownership of the property. They begged for more, and thus began the Expanded Universe. Most casual fans wouldn't know about this, but the EU was any additional books, comics, video games, or other tales that fit into the Star Wars lore. With a whole galaxy to work with, it was quite untamed space for writers, and so the EU really exploded in the '90s after ROTJ had been out for some time, and people were still clamoring for more with the prequels still a few years away. This built into hype further, as when Star Wars did return in 1999, they set box office records again, and captured another generation of younger viewers. Sure, the prequels were bad, but as a Star Wars fan, I can't bring myself to hate them. I didn't discover the EU until about middle school, but as a huge nerd and Star Wars fan, I ate it up. Looking back, there was a lot of cliche, fanfic-tier crap in the EU, but when there is only 6 movies of such a popular franchise which (at the time) was thought to be over and done with, you take what you can get. Just my 2 cents.

Here's my thing. When I watch Star Wars or football, I want to be entertained. I'm not there to listen to your political agenda. I went from watching 10 hours a week of NFL to 0 in 2016 when someone thought he needed to take a knee on 9/11. Haven't watched a game yet this year. Same with Star Wars. I don't want to give the plot away bince you ain't seen it, so I'll leave it at that.

Yes there are a lot of allegorical subjects/metaphors in the script to compare to our current world's ills etc. But are you not going to watch Mr Smith goes to Washington or The Grapes of Wrath or not read Jack London or Upton Sinclair because of discussion of social issues. The whole Star Wars franchise is about poor downtrodden rebels fighting against autocratic, merciless dictators starting with the very first released movie so have you not liked or watched any of these movies.

And it is easy to skip the national anthem part of the NFL and start watching at the opening kickoff.

I saw the star wars yesterday and I give it a B. My son is a big franchise fan and he gave it a C and we both feel this way from some of the same reasons which I will give in another post with big spoiler alert banner so people who have not seen the movie can skip the post.

I've never really got Star Wars. Campy, lame effects, disjointed stories with holes all over the place. Star Trek kicks Star Wars in the ass. I'd rather be on the Enterprise.

Well campy is the key as when I was growing up we watched Commando Cody, Flash Gordon and animated outer space serials in the late 50's and 60's. Not sure if G Lucas was trying to replicate these earlier types shows but even the opening scroll reminds you of these older shows. And yes even the lame effects and illogical action lends itself to being way over the top.

I thought the last star wars, the first with Daisy Ridley, is way better than this one. I thought Rogue One was very good and I think it was done outside of the main producers.

I don’t think it is nostalgia. I literally just don’t care about any of the characters. Disney’s focus is more on diversity than it is on interesting, compelling character stories. As others have said, it is rehashing the same plot (poorly) with worse characters and more CGI.

I could be more specific but won’t yet for spoilers, but super Leia was silly.

Yes, the whole super Leia as you call her was one major problem for my son and I.

Imagine this guy falling for that stupid phone banter in the beginning
Tarkin-ep-4-2-1024x437.jpg

You can’t because it would never happen. Not every character needs a laugh track.

Yes, that was totally illogical plot action #1 in this movie and it took place right at the beginning. It should have been a very dark set of scenes.

I love the original 3 movies, but as an adult I can’t watch any of them now without thinking that...

1. There’s no sound in space. No blaster sounds, no TIE fighter sounds (other than the light saber the most recognizable audio bit in a movie period), and no explosion sounds. All of those epic battles in space would be 100% silent.

2. How do they just walk around the Millennium Falcon like there’s earth-equivalent gravity? Shouldn’t they be weightless just like on the space station?

3. Why do X-Wing fighters bank when they turn like an Earth aircraft would have to do because of the air? Can’t they just turn left?

4. How do all of those planets have the exact, perfect atmosphere for people to breathe?

I want answers dammit.

Well Fryowa, a viewer has to definitely let the writers and directors have a wide berth with the laws of physics and chemistry in these films. I have degrees in science from the UI and I just let these and other sci-fi movies play loose with most of these items like light speed, wormhole travel, decelerating or accelerating extremely fast without rupturing every organ and blood vessel in your body. Do you see how quickly those ships decelerate coming out of light speed. I just let them have those sci-fi processes and the noise in outer space. 2001 A Space Odyssey and its sequel 2010 probably show outer space travel as good as any.

Of course all the planets they are on are goldilocks type planets and the people are there because they have livable environments. It might be better for the rebels to hide on a non-livable planet that they create livable environs under the surface. But I thought it was so illogical at the end of the movie that the rebels said they were escaping to a unknown planet that had not been charted. WTF??? The planet was right there in view of the bad guys!!!!!

Latest posts