Lambeau Field wants big ten title game

Some of us consider that a plus.

You're not telling me anything I don't know already...don't confuse what I think will happen with how I feel about it...I don't care if they play indoors or out as long as the Hawks are standing on one of the 2 sidelines waiting for the coin to be flipped.

The league's inagural championship game, and all subsequent games, needs to focus on the two teams who deserve to be there and the play on the field.

Not the weather.

The game is not about showing how tough the fans are, not about how many beers they can drink in sub-zero temperature and not about the dozens of TV camera shots of water vapor coming out of player's mouths in order to demonstrate how "tough" the league is.

It's about showcasing the Big-10 in the best light to the entire nation on primetime. An ice or snow storm for example would completely ruin the game....completely.

I'll repeat again. The game is about the game and teams.

Let's learn from the SEC. They have the best weather of any conference. And where have they played their championship game since 1994?...indoors at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. This is not by accident.

As a Packers and Hawkeye fan watch the Hawks win a the big ten title on saturday night....celebrate/tailgate until sunday kickoff for the Packers. That would be a wild weekend. Who needs a hotel room?

My heart says Soldier Field, but my head tells me that they'll play this game at Lucas Oil Field. The coaches and AD's will want to make sure that weather doesn't interfere with the game.

I like the idea of no Championship game. Add another bye week and play the last regular season game on the first Dec week-end, if all the Big ten wans to play games on that week-end. As you all know it is very rare that the loser in these tile games ever get a BCS bowl bid. I also like the arguement about the fans traveling 2-4 weeks later to a bowl game after traveling the title game. I think it will hurt bowl attendence for the loser of this game. if they hold the title game, and i am sure they will, then this game needs to be in driving distance for all schools. INDY might fit that bill. But i favor chicago, but my guess is Penn St never would accept that. I do not want to see this game in the state of Ohio and Michigan.

I love this idea- even though it may not happen. I hate even mentioning the idea of not letting the weather get in the way. It's the Big Ten, the weather gets into the way of HUGE games all the time. In bowl games, the weather gets in the way. It's football, it's the Big Ten- both teams have to play in it.

You have this game outdoors because NO team in the Big Ten has an indoor home stadium anymore. Lambeau Field screams Big Ten to me- and there's plenty of luxury boxes for the "suits" as you call it to watch from upstairs. The community would welcome the fan bases beyond the welcoming the fan bases for their economic impact.

30K fans from each team are NOT going to show up at both the championship game and a bowl game. Thus, for the championship game, you need disinterested walk-up fans...and you're not going to get nearly as many of those in Green Bay (which is pretty isolated) as compared to Indy.

There's a huge difference between playing in a southern bowl game in a bit of rain versus negative temps and snow/cold/ice for a nationally television, all-eyes-on-it, Big-10 league championship game.

If you're a passing team, playing in crappy weather changes your gameplan. It puts you at a disadvantage. Change for the game you say? What happens when you have to change it all back again for your bowl game? Not fair again.

It needs to be played indoors and this is truly a no-brainer.

City is too small.

City is too far out of the way.

City supports a regional airport, but it's expensive to fly there. Budget-minded commercial fliers have to go into Milwaukee...112 miles away...then rent a car.

Weather is too unpredictable.

Turf is basically garbage that time of year.

It's not just the "cold"...it could be miserable conditions, sleet, freezing rain, fat Wisconsin chicks slammin' shots of Hidden Valley Ranch, snow...wind...It's like the Super Bowl...they'll want it played in ideal conditions.

See I don't understand this part, what if there is a crappy day during the regular season and an upset happens that cost a team the conference title? Should it not count because on Oct whatever date the weather was crappy and team A couldn't run or throw like they usually do because of the bad weather?

We aren't talking about playing the game at the end of December, it is the following week after Thanksgiving when the regular season comes to an end. Yes it could be nasty out, but like I said above the week before could be nasty as well and cost a team a trip to the title game, what is the difference?

30K fans from each team are NOT going to show up at both the championship game and a bowl game. Thus, for the championship game, you need disinterested walk-up fans...and you're not going to get nearly as many of those in Green Bay (which is pretty isolated) as compared to Indy.

There's a huge difference between playing in a southern bowl game in a bit of rain versus negative temps and snow/cold/ice for a nationally television, all-eyes-on-it, Big-10 league championship game.

If you're a passing team, playing in crappy weather changes your gameplan. It puts you at a disadvantage. Change for the game you say? What happens when you have to change it all back again for your bowl game? Not fair again.

It needs to be played indoors and this is truly a no-brainer.

What about regular season games? Upsets happen in crappy weather in October/November that could cost a team a trip to the Big Ten title game, so should upsets not count?

No brainer is hardly the case, but your opinion is well received.

Most likely the bowl game will have gorgeous weather in a travel/vacation destination. An outdoor championship game will be cold, classic big ten football weather. The two will be able to attract different Iowa fans than the championship game- the fan that doesn't want to travel and play in a cold weather location for the championship versus the fan that wants a vacation, great weather bowl game. You'll get people that will go to both, but now there are options and benefits to either from an Iowa standpoint. And honestly, as someone who has been involved in the bowl selection process, it makes the bowl a more desirable destination for the traveling fans in warm, vacation weather for big ten fans.

PLUS, this is MADE for TV... the Big Ten championship, in cold weather under the lights in prime time. TV would jump at it. Not that TV wouldn't jump at ANY Big Ten championship game, but it adds to the promotion.

I mean look at the super bowl...they're having that in New York City in the cold in a couple years...Green Bay would be the same way. Get the voice over guy from NFL films...and have him do the lead in...lol it would be GREAT

See I don't understand this part, what if there is a crappy day during the regular season and an upset happens that cost a team the conference title? Should it not count because on Oct whatever date the weather was crappy and team A couldn't run or throw like they usually do because of the bad weather?

We aren't talking about playing the game at the end of December, it is the following week after Thanksgiving when the regular season comes to an end. Yes it could be nasty out, but like I said above the week before could be nasty as well and cost a team a trip to the title game, what is the difference?

A regular season game isn't a multi-million dollar, primetime showcase for the conference...sure, some regular season games are in primetime, but the conference doesn't even allow for that once the calendar hits November...

Do you think the conference is going to NOT want the game in primetime? Or risk losing money because no one wants to pay big bucks for 12-3 games, played in rain, snow and slop, risking serious injury to the best players on the best teams, when the winner may be playing for a national title in a month. When they could've played it in perfect conditions, where no one would have any gripes no matter what happens?

City is too small.

City is too far out of the way.

City supports a regional airport, but it's expensive to fly there. Budget-minded commercial fliers have to go into Milwaukee...112 miles away...then rent a car.

Weather is too unpredictable.

Turf is basically garbage that time of year.

You never been to Green Bay have you. If you think you have seen tailgating you haven't seen nothing until you go to Green BAy. It not a bad drive from Iowa. The locals my sell it out on its on just to get in the stadium. These are the same people who show up to scoop snow at the stadium out for free. To small isn't that what they say about Iowa?

You never been to Green Bay have you. If you think you have seen tailgating you haven't seen nothing until you go to Green BAy. It not a bad drive from Iowa. The locals my sell it out on its on just to get in the stadium. These are the same people who show up to scoop snow at the stadium out for free. To small isn't that what they say about Iowa?

Some of you guys on here are really really myoptic as to what exactly the Big-10 title game is all about. It's not about showing how tough we are in the league by playing in sub-zero outdoor weather, drinking a 12-pack in a parking lot in the snow or anything even close. It's about putting butts in seats. BUTTS IN SEATS. The suits don't want 15K empty seats showing up on TV. And as Big-10 fans, you shouldn't either.

Let's just say for argument sake, PSU plays Nebraska for the title game.

My premise is you need about 25-30% of your capacity to be from college FB fans not associated with the two teams playing because very few fans with a team in the championship game are going to shell out top dollar to go to both the championship game and a bowl game. You need local walk-up interest to fill up the championship game IMO. (Personally, I'll go to a bowl game over the championship game). GB is 102K in size. Sorry, but I don't see 20K Greenbay fans paying top dollar to watch Nebraska play Penn State.

And yes, I've been to GB approximately 10x...and I've purchased items in the gift shop adjacent to the field. (I own a ski chalet in Iron River, MI and drive through GB to get there).

It's 302 miles from Davenport to GB....365 miles from IC, 432 miles from Des Moines, 391 miles from Indy, 208 miles from Chicago, 448 miles from Ann Arbor, 562 miles to Columbus. You get the point....people are not going to drive to GB from any of those areas to see Nebraska play Penn State. Now, if the game is in Indy for example, it's very centrally located and people will be more likely to drive to an 'event' where their team isn't playing to see the 'event.' Plus Indy is almost 800,000 people, a melting pot of college football fans from throughout the midwest..I know...I used to live there.

As far as PSU and Nebraska fans are concerned, due to its isolation, it's not easy getting to GB via air. If you fly into GB, you pay an arm and a leg. Budget-minded travelers must go through Milwaukee, then drive another two hours in an expensive rental car. Indy is relatively cheap to fly into.

For the reasons I've cited GB doesn't play into a logical business model. It's too isolated and it's just not a good business venue...sorry.

Last edited:
Some of you guys on here are really really myoptic as to what exactly the Big-10 title game is all about. It's not about showing how tough we are in the league by playing in sub-zero outdoor weather, drinking a 12-pack in a parking lot in the snow or anything even close. It's about putting butts in seats. BUTTS IN SEATS. The suits don't want 15K empty seats showing up on TV. And as Big-10 fans, you shouldn't either.

Let's just say for argument sake, PSU plays Nebraska for the title game.

My premise is you need about 25-30% of your capacity to be from college FB fans not associated with the two teams playing because very few fans with a team in the championship game are going to shell out top dollar to go to both the championship game and a bowl game. You need local walk-up interest to fill up the championship game IMO. (Personally, I'll go to a bowl game over the championship game). GB is 102K in size. Sorry, but I don't see 20K Greenbay fans paying top dollar to watch Nebraska play Penn State.

And yes, I've been to GB approximately 10x...and I've purchased items in the gift shop adjacent to the field. (I own a ski chalet in Iron River, MI and drive through GB to get there).

It's 302 miles from Davenport to GB....365 miles from IC, 432 miles from Des Moines, 391 miles from Indy, 208 miles from Chicago, 448 miles from Ann Arbor, 562 miles to Columbus. You get the point....people are not going to drive to GB from any of those areas to see Nebraska play Penn State. Now, if the game is in Indy for example, it's very centrally located and people will be more likely to drive to an 'event' where their team isn't playing to see the 'event.' Plus Indy is almost 800,000 people, a melting pot of college football fans from throughout the midwest..I know...I used to live there.

As far as PSU and Nebraska fans are concerned, due to its isolation, it's not easy getting to GB via air. If you fly into GB, you pay an arm and a leg. Budget-minded travelers must go through Milwaukee, then drive another two hours in an expensive rental car. Indy is relatively cheap to fly into.

For the reasons I've cited GB doesn't play into a logical business model. It's too isolated and it's just not a good business venue...sorry.

Well, I guess that settles it. :confused::confused:.

I would drive to Green Bay to watch the Hawks play, and I'm guessing I'm not alone. Nebraska fans would as well.

Well, I guess that settles it. :confused::confused:.

I would drive to Green Bay to watch the Hawks play, and I'm guessing I'm not alone. Nebraska fans would as well.

OK....three questions:

#1--You'd give up going to a 3-day bowl event/game to make a long ovenight dash to GB to watch a champ game the Hawks were in?

I know I couldn't afford the time/money to do both. There's nothing to do in GB in the dead of winter. I'd do the bowl venue over the champ game in a second. My premise is the game needs local walk-up ticket buyers. GB is isolated and expensive and my premise is there wouldn't be enough local walk up business.

#2--If you're a Hawk fan, do you make the long dash to GB to watch PSU/Nebraska?

I surely don't. See my premise from above...plus...I just don't see out-of-towners traveling to GB to watch a game in which their team is not playing. On the other hand, Indy is a Big-10 melting pot, and Chicago, which truly is a Big-10 melting pot is an easy 3 hour drive from Chicago. I see no trouble of non-participant-fans showing up at the gates.

#3--OK..suppose, just suppose, I'm wavering on wanting to see the Hawks in both the champ game and bowl game. If it's in GB, I'd probably say no thanks, again, due to the cost/cold/isolation of the area. If it's in Indy, I'd lean to the "yes" since the drive is about the same, the area is tailor made for game participants (things to do around the arena, safe area, good transportation services) and is easy to fly into if I chose to fly.

Given those choices, wouldn't you be swayed to go to Indy but not GB?

I think a lot of people would.

Last edited:

Latest posts