Lainez

Reading all these comments causes me to visualize two 268 lb fat chicks sitting at home with a large bowl of ice cream, three boxes of Crispy Cream donuts, and six bags of potatoes chips skimming threw the newest male magazines talking about the cute guys they would like to date.

Our offense is an effing mess and so it don’t matter who KF brings in as an OC it will take time, maybe three years if we are lucky to be able to repair the damage done over the last three seasons. To make matters worse Kirk is still the head coach and his idea of starting an offense is relative to him trying to start a car using a hand-crank attached to the crankshaft coming out of the front of the engine.

God I hope he proves me wrong but twenty-five years says otherwise.

Is that Mary in the picture below?
You for got the diet Pepsi to wash it down with!

Yeap, I agree with that assessment. Seems if I remember after dad came knocking Bethard became the guy.
Parents of both QBs told KF the QBs were transferring if not starting. KF picked the better long term talent over a more consistent and very good, highly recruited QB. Both parents forced a choice before the bowl game. Doesn't KF get credit for making the better decision for picking potential and athleticism?

Iowa hasn't had a history of QB problems until Brian became OC. Brian inherited a good offense, a historic level QB, AA TEs, OLs, a future NFL WR and a future NFL RB. Things started to decline as soon as Nate S graduated. The QB play before that was 3 years of Nate, a couple of years of JVB and no question about JVB's junior year, the preceding two seasons, a competition that went on most of the season followed by two excellent seasons for CJ. Rudock was a good QB that ended up in the NFL. Stanzi for 2 seasons and 11 games is pretty good QBing. I think KF gets credit for picking the right guy based on potential and athleticism.

Jake C is a strange case. Without arguing opinions, I would only note that only Petras has completed a higher percentage of passes than Jake C in the last four years. Jake threw for 17 TDs in his 1 year as a starter and all 5 of the guys that have played QB for Iowa in the last two seasons have collectively thrown for only 16 TDs. Interceptions, 22 & 23 16, Jake C 6. I say this to demonstrate how uniquely and historically bad the QBing has been for the last four seasons.

Drew Tate for three years no controversy. Nate C was the obvious starter. BB was the obvious starter in 02 and was not ready to play full time in 01. Please do not repeat the lie that KF just didn't understand Banks. Brad, Kirk and Ken all said during 02 and after the season that BB was not ready. BB didn't even get a D1 offer and no offers but Iowa at QB. Shouldn't the only coach in America to see a QB in BB get a lot of credit for that find?

Kyle was the nominal starter for the first three seasons, but he was fragile, so the job was a revolving circus for the first two years.

There is a pretty bright line when the QBing turned bad and it's the year BF ran out of Nate S. It's just gotten worse from there.​

Cade no better than Hill. Why in the world do you make statements like this? You sound flat out stupid. I guess you want to be the Paul Finebaum of the minor leagues. I think you are on track.
Fry might be right. At this very minute we don't know if Cade can run or plant so Hill might be better than Cade right now. Cade in a powered wheelchair might be better than Zeeke right now.

Even at 80%, which is about all we ever saw Cade of last season, he was still light years better than anything Hill brought to the table. Even his sad and injured efforts to scramble were better than anything Hill did. I would take Cade at 80% any day of the week and twice on Sunday over a 100% healthy Hill. Not a close call. These two are not the same QBs in any respect.

I agree that the Cade that played for Iowa at 80% is a shadow of what he was at Michigan. He also had a lot better coaching and personnel at Michigan. Whether we ever get what was paid for is an open question. I would not bet the season on Cade playing all of 2024, so a transfer QB is in order. What I do know is that Deacon Hill should never take another snap at Iowa again. Ever. We know what he is and its just not good enough. Not even close.
You may want to look at Penix’s injury record before we count Cade out. You there, Fry?

Lol. Give me one concrete piece of evidence he’s better. Because he played better at Michigan? By that logic Scott Frost is a great coach.
Well, Cade threw for + .500 and Hill was less than .500. Cade threw for 4 TDs in 5 1/2 games and Deeke threw for 5 TDs in 9 1/2 games. McNamara threw 3 interceptions in 5 1/2 games and Hill threw for 8 interceptions in 9 1/2 games.

Cannot find individual fumbles but my guess is Deeke probably had 6 or 7 lost fumbles.

Neither played well but other than Alex Padilla no previous starter in the Ferentz era has been as consistently inaccurate and easily turned over than Deacon Hill.

Even at 80%, which is about all we ever saw Cade of last season, he was still light years better than anything Hill brought to the table. Even his sad and injured efforts to scramble were better than anything Hill did. I would take Cade at 80% any day of the week and twice on Sunday over a 100% healthy Hill. Not a close call. These two are not the same QBs in any respect.

I agree that the Cade that played for Iowa at 80% is a shadow of what he was at Michigan. He also had a lot better coaching and personnel at Michigan. Whether we ever get what was paid for is an open question. I would not bet the season on Cade playing all of 2024, so a transfer QB is in order. What I do know is that Deacon Hill should never take another snap at Iowa again. Ever. We know what he is and its just not good enough. Not even close.
I'll agree that 80% Cade is head and shoulders better then Hill, but as I said they were both turnover machines and neither could move in or outside the pocket. While Cade may have been better, neither were anywhere near efficient enough to run an offense.

That's not a shot at Cade its the fact that IMO the Cade we got was nothing more then a shell of his former self and after the most recent injury I don't think we have anyone near what would be considered an starting QB on the roster. I hope I'm wrong.

Edit: I'll note after reading the stats provided in previous posts I may have been wrong about Cade being a "turnover machine" and the gap between he and Hill was much greater in that department. However the fact is neither QB moved the chains and combined the position simply didn't perform. A successful offense cannot and should not be outgained in total yards by their punter on the season.

Last edited:
I think something that holds Iowa and a lot of teams back is this dumb stigma that you can only play one QB? What a narrow view tradition that hinders development at the position.

Rotating QBs will serve to protect our glass jaw QB by limiting his exposure to hits. Iowa should plan from the get go to rotate in Resar or Lainez for several series per game, and for specialized situations like sneaks and gadgets. Give the D more to plan for, and limit the exposure to Cade in the hopes he lasts longer. And, if he does get hurt, you have a back-up with game experience.

New Orleans has done this for years. Iowa did it with Banks. This is a sensible approach to the QB position, especially when you don't have a Penix type guy in your program.

I'll agree that 80% Cade is head and shoulders better then Hill, but as I said they were both turnover machines and neither could move in or outside the pocket. While Cade may have been better, neither were anywhere near efficient enough to run an offense.

That's not a shot at Cade its the fact that IMO the Cade we got was nothing more then a shell of his former self and after the most recent injury I don't think we have anyone near what would be considered an starting QB on the roster. I hope I'm wrong.

Edit: I'll note after reading the stats provided in previous posts I may have been wrong about Cade being a "turnover machine" and the gap between he and Hill was much greater in that department. However the fact is neither QB moved the chains and combined the position simply didn't perform. A successful offense cannot and should not be outgained in total yards by their punter on the season.
Check out Michael Penix’ s injury list prior to this season.

Unless we flip the switch on our O-line, and we can pass protect and open holes, Cade will be a sitting duck and likely get injured again. The other issue, once you blow your ACL out, the potential to reinjure it is quite a bit higher. He has done it twice now.

I love the kid. Has promoted and pimped the Hawkeyes before, during and after his injury. But unless he can show otherwise, he is damaged goods. I can only hope he has a solid rehab and is able to show us what he can do. But it's likely Marco is #1 leaving Spring Ball.

And with a new OC, maybe there's a chance this OC has more say who his QB1 is. I'm a little shocked we have yet to get an announcement. Maybe there is negotiations on how much control the OC will have over the playbook and etc.

Wasn't the OC for Washington a hopeful for a candidate? Chryst and Philban would both be done with their duties for their perspective teams. Just seems a bit odd that 8 days have passed and nothing. I kind of figured it would be announced very quickly.

Maybe KF preferred to allow the college football season to end (as of last night) and then announce. But I think there has to be some real direct discussion on the amount of say that the next OC will have. I mean if I was a candidate, that would definitely be one of my first questions.

Check out Michael Penix’ s injury list prior to this season.
Fair enough, but how many others out there never fully recovered or came back half the player they were? I'm not saying it's impossible or can't happen and like I said I hope I'm wrong and Cade comes back better then he was at Michigan. That said though I stand by assessment that we don't have a starting QB on our roster at this time. We don't know if Cade will even be ready to go by fall camp, we don't know enough about Lainez, we know it's not Hill, Resar is an unknown at this point, but we don't have a sure thing at QB going into the fall.

Fair enough, but how many others out there never fully recovered or came back half the player they were? I'm not saying it's impossible or can't happen and like I said I hope I'm wrong and Cade comes back better then he was at Michigan. That said though I stand by assessment that we don't have a starting QB on our roster at this time. We don't know if Cade will even be ready to go by fall camp, we don't know enough about Lainez, we know it's not Hill, Resar is an unknown at this point, but we don't have a sure thing at QB going into the fall.
You are absolutely right. We have very little idea who we can count on. Yes. Fry and others provided me with the data on recovery from knee surgery. Not promising.

But. Penix is an example of a guy who made it back. And, I don’t think it would make sense to assume Cade won’t come back healthy. We have to start somewhere. Surely not with Hill, ever. Lainez and Resar are unknowns, but were recruited as dual threat.
I see three unknowns and the same three as possibles. So it goes. Lots of teams going into Spring and Fall face the same issues.

Totally false. KF benched Christensen after he had been a multi-year starter and replaced him with Stanzi. JC was one of the highest rated recruits in the KF era, and he was benched because he was ineffective and the back-up, an underrecruited kid, was better. The change was absolutely meaningful.

While McCann was not benched, Banks was getting reps in 2001 as a change of pace QB.

KF also tried to bench Petras through claiming alleged injuries, but his back-up was just as bad.

He also refused to start Banks despite the fans wanting him to start. Same old worn out excuse. “McCann gave us the best chance to win”. B.S. Truth = I am too proud to admit when I am wrong. After Banks was the runner-up Heisman dinner ever admit he should have benched McCann earlier???

Gimme a break.

These aren’t student athletes. They’re semi-pro football players. If you’re getting paid to do a job, you’re going to get criticism. In some cases the players are getting paid as much or more than certain assistant coaches.

You know I have already made the semi-pro analogy on here before. Twenty years for a coach vrs one year for a player. Twenty years and waiting for that conference championship. With the West Coast teams coming in this upcoming fall and only one division it’s going to disenfranchise a lot of big ten team’s fans.

I can see them changing things once again to a three or four division Big Ten Conference to keep most teams and their fans involved. Three divisions and a wild card team or four divisions and divisional winners playing on.

It’s coming and not a question of if but when. Like you said and I agree it’s a semi-pro sport.

One more point; Haven’t we butchered Hill enough?? Remember the old rule on the forum of not doing personal attacks against the players??? I get it as it was painful to watch but enough is enough.

I also realize that a good percentage of those criticisms are directed toward Kirk for not giving the backups some reps.

Sure. Go ahead and double down. The reality is that neither of us has a clue about how Cade will perform in 2024.
What sucks is we won't get a look this spring at him either... He won't be practicing 100% till August at the earliest probably. There's no telling how Cade will look you're dead on. We can guess and everything but to say he'll be the Cade we played against for Michigan is a hopeful guess. I think he can be good. But only if he's 100% I don't think a 70% Cade does us much good. And if he's less then that decisions would need to be made.

So how will new OC run things? Lainez over Hill for #1 reps this spring? I mean anything other then that is just stupid I would think. Hill needs to be buried on the depth chart behind Resar and encouraged to transfer out. Let it be known he's not taking a snap here again.

He also refused to start Banks despite the fans wanting him to start. Same old worn out excuse. “McCann gave us the best chance to win”. B.S. Truth = I am too proud to admit when I am wrong. After Banks was the runner-up Heisman dinner ever admit he should have benched McCann earlier???
Big D, you should not continue to promote this false mythology. While it's true that some of the fans, no known players as I recall, wanted BB the gist of the attack has been denied and refuted by everyone involved. Brad, Kirk and Ken all were asked a million times if BB had been ready to start as a junior. They always said no and frequently gave reasons. So the actual people involved say the opposite of a gaggle of permanently discontented pseudo fans. I believe the actual people involved to have much better insight into "what happened" so I'm going with Brad, Ken and Kirk's version.

People conflate the two seasons without remembering all the mental errors, dangerous throws, inability to read the field that happened as a junior. Brad only ran a couple of packages which helped him look better than say running the two-minute offense.

BB had ZERO offers at QB coming out of JUCO. So how about some praise for the only staff and HC in the country that saw a QB in BB at all? That was pretty smart, right?

There's a pretty bright line where the QBing started to deteriorate, the first season without Nate Stanley. After that it was BF and his recruits. BF just did not know what to do with QBs.​

I don’t see the vast majority of people crossing the line with their assessments of any of the players. The biggest criticisms have been about their abilities and performances not personal attacks. Most all of the high level athletes I have known in my life have had two things in common 1) They are their own toughest critics 2) If the noise (opponents, media, fans) does make its way to them they have an instant desire to prove them wrong and shut them up. They are competitive on a whole different level.

With that being said I think most of the talk around inadequate QB room (and the offense in general) seems to be more dumbfounded than anything else. Essentially- ‘This QB(OC) is terrible… the coach says he’s been great… he’s terrible though right? How can we all see it but Kirk can’t?’ We can’t believe the disconnect between what our eyes are seeing and what we are being told and given.

There is a quickly growing number of people that are saying they are ready to move on from Kirk but deep down I think every single Hawkeye fan would give anything for him to just let go of the offense and turn this thing around. We want him to be the one to lead us to a BIG championship. We want him to take us to the CFP. Seeing him fall to this point is just sad and frustrating because we all just want him to live up to what we think he could be.

Or maybe not… I just had a whole pot of coffee and feel like I can hear colors now.

Excellent Post

I just had a whole pot of coffee and feel like I can hear colors now.

:cool:

He stuck to his position that Banks was not ready to be the full-time starter his first year. Ya know, cause he could not fully grasp the super duper complicated offense (the one where you call the play the coach sends in and then you can audible to a run left or a run right).

KF is nothing if not slow on the QB change front. Again, the starter has to really stink and the back-up has to walk on water in practice. When that happens, then 5 or 6 games later KF will make the change.....

He stuck to his position that Banks was not ready to be the full-time starter his first year. Ya know, cause he could not fully grasp the super duper complicated offense (the one where you call the play the coach sends in and then you can audible to a run left or a run right).

KF is nothing if not slow on the QB change front. Again, the starter has to really stink and the back-up has to walk on water in practice. When that happens, then 5 or 6 games later KF will make the change.....
When you're still propagating a 24-year-old lie just to slag the coach of the team you purportedly support is at the point when negativity for its own sake appears the motivation for posting you might not really support Iowa football.

Latest posts