Lack of night games a downer for at least one Hawkeye

It would be nice to have a couple of night games. Kinnick Stadium looks awesome at night. I think the black friday game against Nebraska would be the perfect game to put at night.

Midweek games? Iowa State has made a tradition of playing on Thursdays or Fridays, but Big Ten schools have been slow to embrace this trend.
Conference commissioner Jim Delany said this year, "I don't think while I'm around here you're going to see Friday night games."

I don't always agree with Delany, but I hope this never changes. Nothing screams, "We're a worthless pile of crap program" than playing on a Friday night.

If Iowa ever fell that far and played a Friday night game I would support the firing of anybody involved with the decision and also support burning their houses down before they were able to move out of town. Don't get me wrong, it's just a game. I don't want anybody to get hurt in the fires, I'd just want to make sure all of their personal and sentimental belongings were destroyed. This is just hypothetical anyway, Iowa would never be so pathetic as to schedule Friday night games.

I don't always agree with Delany, but I hope this never changes. Nothing screams, "We're a worthless pile of crap program" than playing on a Friday night.

If Iowa ever fell that far and played a Friday night game I would support the firing of anybody involved with the decision and also support burning their houses down before they were able to move out of town. Don't get me wrong, it's just a game. I don't want anybody to get hurt in the fires, I'd just want to make sure all of their personal and sentimental belongings were destroyed. This is just hypothetical anyway, Iowa would never be so pathetic as to schedule Friday night games.

You're right on the money with that kinda thinkin', gohawkz...

Thursday or Friday night games before Thanksgiving are for high school football. Oh, ISU likes to play on those nights? I rest my case. If Iowa wants a Saturday night game or two then they need to consistently win 9+ games and be a B1G and national title contender.

Thursday or Friday night games before Thanksgiving are for high school football. Oh, ISU likes to play on those nights? I rest my case. If Iowa wants a Saturday night game or two then they need to consistently win 9+ games and be a B1G and national title contender.

This is just false. How'd illinois do last season? They have a night game this year.

That's the beauty of 2:30 starts in November. By the time the game ends at 5:30 or 6:00, its dark and it feels like a night game.

Personally I would not mind the black Friday game start at 2:30. I also would not mind having Wisconsin, Minny, Iowa, and Neb all play on black Friday in a double-header and rotate opponents. Maybe even the years that Minny is a host, they can move the game to the new dome for a night game. Uh, on second thought, leave the game outside.

That game gets pretty cold in the day time. But it would be pretty neat

I was in Kinnick for Nebby in 2012 and Michigan in 2013. I no longer fear a cold game.

Bring on the late November night games!!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't MSU play a Friday night game (against western Michigan maybe) a couple years ago?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't MSU play a Friday night game (against western Michigan maybe) a couple years ago?

Yes, they did. I believe MSU has opened their season more than once with a Friday night game. OSU has done it once, I believe. Always season openers. I believe OSU justifies it by saying school isn't in session yet.

Yes, they did. I believe MSU has opened their season more than once with a Friday night game. OSU has done it once, I believe. Always season openers. I believe OSU justifies it by saying school isn't in session yet.

Someone should tell em Delany says no.

I think our coach is more than happy with no night games. If we win all our games, then I'm okay with no night games. But, generally speaking, night games serve a high purpose of getting you exposure; meaning, you're going against less football games on t.v. at night. So, I am always in favor of having 1 or 2 night games a season.

Someone should tell em Delany says no.

Delany was talking about Big Ten games, not non-conference games. MSU plays Jacksonville St in their home opener on Friday nite again this year. They played Boise St on Friday nite to open the season also.

After reading that article, I have to ask:

How much pull does the AD have w game times?

This is just false. How'd illinois do last season? They have a night game this year.

As do Rutgers and Maryland, I think. Does Wisconsin have a BTN night game this year?
Illinois, Maryland, and Rutgers are playing OSU, UM, MSU, PSU, and Nebraska in night games. 4 of 5 have history behind them, MSU has done well lately. Not to mention Maryland and Rutgers are new to the league. Some are on ABC/ESPN, Iowa and B1G have less control over those. I stand behind my comment, win more consistently. Iowa's schedule this year doesn't help. Last year they were coming off a 4-8 season. It also depends on other marquee games on the same day. That's why some games aren't determined until later.

Latest posts