Lack of night games a downer for at least one Hawkeye

Yes, they did. I believe MSU has opened their season more than once with a Friday night game. OSU has done it once, I believe. Always season openers. I believe OSU justifies it by saying school isn't in session yet.

Yeah, "school" has always been such a huge concern for the O$U football team...

Delany was talking about Big Ten games, not non-conference games. MSU plays Jacksonville St in their home opener on Friday nite again this year. They played Boise St on Friday nite to open the season also.

My comment was tongue in cheek, but for Delaney to rule out all weeknight games would be dumb, IMO. If a couple of the lower/mid tier teams in the conference wanted to rumble on a Friday night, why stop em? I could see a minny vs NW game being pretty good television on a Friday night. Or Indiana vs a Rutgers/Maryland could be another nice Friday night game.

Some good exposure for these schools and the conference.

Illinois, Maryland, and Rutgers are playing OSU, UM, MSU, PSU, and Nebraska in night games. 4 of 5 have history behind them, MSU has done well lately. Not to mention Maryland and Rutgers are new to the league. Some are on ABC/ESPN, Iowa and B1G have less control over those. I stand behind my comment, win more consistently. Iowa's schedule this year doesn't help. Last year they were coming off a 4-8 season. It also depends on other marquee games on the same day. That's why some games aren't determined until later.

There's buzz about this team this year (and some mags/websites pick them to contend for the west). There is definitely opportunity for a night game. I remember the NW game from 2011 was a pretty good night game. High scoring, fast(ish) paced, back n forth, big plays, card stunt beforehand, etc.

My comment was tongue in cheek, but for Delaney to rule out all weeknight games would be dumb, IMO. If a couple of the lower/mid tier teams in the conference wanted to rumble on a Friday night, why stop em? I could see a minny vs NW game being pretty good television on a Friday night. Or Indiana vs a Rutgers/Maryland could be another nice Friday night game.

Some good exposure for these schools and the conference.

There's buzz about this team this year (and some mags/websites pick them to contend for the west). There is definitely opportunity for a night game. I remember the NW game from 2011 was a pretty good night game. High scoring, fast(ish) paced, back n forth, big plays, card stunt beforehand, etc.

I would not welcome Iowa to the Friday nite league game approach...as Barta said, not logistically feasible really with all the hospital complex up and running full tilt on a workday. RU vs NW...ok....no problem.

Latest posts