Lack of Athletes really shows

Well, the thing that really stood out to me was that they didn't have a freshman player score a point all year. They had juniors and seniors that have worked their asses off and they were mature players. Iowa was playing a true freshman and counting on him all year...Garza is a soph, Connor McCaffery is really a freshman...so it showed a bit.

CM is old enough to be a junior.

Iowa just played one of the most athletic teams in the country and lost in OT in the biggest game of the season for both teams. If Iowa lacks athletes, it must have a great coach .... and that can't be....or it's not as dramatic as the OP states.

Iowa just played one of the most athletic teams in the country and lost in OT in the biggest game of the season for both teams. If Iowa lacks athletes, it must have a great coach .... and that can't be....or it's not as dramatic as the OP states.

I really don't get people. Our players are terrible because Fran I'd a terrible recruiter. But Fran is also a terrible coach and that's why we didn't make the sweet 16. Terrible players and coaches don't make the NIT, let alone the sweet 16.

I really don't get people. Our players are terrible because Fran I'd a terrible recruiter. But Fran is also a terrible coach and that's why we didn't make the sweet 16. Terrible players and coaches don't make the NIT, let alone the sweet 16.

It's really people just wanting to dash Iowa fan's hope. We all know this team and program is far from perfect but Iowa played with a lot of heart yesterday. People saw it. They recognized it. Not just Iowa fans. Both of my bosses (one a Creighton fan/one a Husker fan) came into work today and told me how much they enjoyed our team and how tough they were. There is NO moral victory, but you can't help but be a little excited about Iowa hoops after this season. This year wasn't good enough, Fran hasn't been good enough as a whole. But IMO, it's ok to just stop being so "hard core" for a moment and say "whew, that was fun, we have things to build on. Iowa basketball is back on a good path" because it is. 23 wins is the most wins by a NCAA qualifying team in 13 seasons. 5 wins over nationally ranked teams. Undefeated Non Con. Iowa doesn't really lack anything. It's all there, now you have to put it together. If you're selling differently, you're being disingenuous. Iowa hasn't even arrived yet, so chill with make believe ceilings.

It's really people just wanting to dash Iowa fan's hope. We all know this team and program is far from perfect but Iowa played with a lot of heart yesterday. People saw it. They recognized it. Not just Iowa fans. Both of my bosses (one a Creighton fan/one a Husker fan) came into work today and told me how much they enjoyed our team and how tough they were. There is NO moral victory, but you can't help but be a little excited about Iowa hoops after this season. This year wasn't good enough, Fran hasn't been good enough as a whole. But IMO, it's ok to just stop being so "hard core" for a moment and say "whew, that was fun, we have things to build on. Iowa basketball is back on a good path" because it is. 23 wins is the most wins by a NCAA qualifying team in 13 seasons. 5 wins over nationally ranked teams. Undefeated Non Con. Iowa doesn't really lack anything. It's all there, now you have to put it together. If you're selling differently, you're being disingenuous. Iowa hasn't even arrived yet, so chill with make believe ceilings.

Agree with your assessment for the most part, however "Iowa doesn't really lack anything" ....I would say we lack a true point guard. I will give Jbo credit. I thought he handled that postion as best as he could. He was dogged by other teams because they realized he's vulnerable in that position. You couldn't overplay a really good point guard and not end up playing for it at the rim with constant drives and dish offs. You overplay say Carsten Edwards or Cassius Winston and they will kill you.

Agree with your assessment for the most part, however "Iowa doesn't really lack anything" ....I would say we lack a true point guard. I will give Jbo credit. I thought he handled that postion as best as he could. He was dogged by other teams because they realized he's vulnerable in that position. You couldn't overplay a really good point guard and not end up playing for it at the rim with constant drives and dish offs. You overplay say Carsten Edwards or Cassius Winston and they will kill you.

they have a highly ranked and "true" PG coming in next season, as well as a Senior who is the most prolific shooter in school history and a 3rd year Soph at the position. They have what they need to be successful.

I will say this. I still feel Iowa needs to be more athletic, mainly on the perimeter. But - definitely not at the expense of skill. Hopefully Toussaint helps remedy this.

Maybe they can run and jump, but getting more athletic doesn't help you much if the guys you bring in can't dribble, catch, pass, or shoot.

Give me good basketball players. But if you are not athletic, I feel it's a mistake to try to run and gun against better athletes. Vice versa if you DO have a team full of good athletes.

IMO, fit your style around the personnel that you have.

I think the point is more like, Fran hasn't gotten Iowa to the sweet 16 in 9 years and his teams have tailed off at the end of seasons and Iowa under Fran doesn't have a prototypical PG of much talent, ever, and, they come out in the Big Dance vs talented teams and get down by 20+ points when the half rolls around and Fran gets rewarded in his contract, plus bonuses for these results. Underachieving, poor fundamental teams, with average coaching and recruiting is the norm.

Was Cinci "athletic"? I wonder if they wished they had some shooters? Cause it's a nice luxury having guys who can put the rock in the hoop.
The Admiral came out energized and shooting from the get go and pretty much sealed Iowa's fate early on.

unsure what you are you responding to?
Maybe I misunderstood what you posted, I thought you were saying that TN would like some competent shooters, and my point was, they seem to have some good shooters already. They buried Iowa early and often in the first half with good shooting. That's all.

Maybe I misunderstood what you posted, I thought you were saying that TN would like some competent shooters, and my point was, they seem to have some good shooters already. They buried Iowa early and often in the first half with good shooting. That's all.

you replied to my question

"Is Cinci considered athletic?"

Latest posts