Labas

Hypothetical that would never happen: we bring in a new offensive coordinator who runs a spread-run system. We tell Coop, come back to Iowa for one more year, you are our guy at QB. Would the chance of playing QB one last time before turning pro be enough to entice him back?

Hypothetical that would never happen: we bring in a new offensive coordinator who runs a spread-run system. We tell Coop, come back to Iowa for one more year, you are our guy at QB. Would the chance of playing QB one last time before turning pro be enough to entice him back?

No

I would hope people in his inner circle would just say no. He has so many hits in him and you don’t know what the Nebraska shot took away from that.

This was the year to use him on both sides of the ball. You didn’t need to go Travis Hunter and play him 135 snaps, but a package of 10-12 plays on offense per game would/will have worked.

Minnesota game will be the last time teams kick to him. As you know, Iowa is slow to adjust and they will wait 2 games before they add Seeden(SP?) along side Coop to return punts.

No

I would hope people in his inner circle would just say no. He has so many hits in him and you don’t know what the Nebraska shot took away from that.

This was the year to use him on both sides of the ball. You didn’t need to go Travis Hunter and play him 135 snaps, but a package of 10-12 plays on offense per game would/will have worked.

Minnesota game will be the last time teams kick to him. As you know, Iowa is slow to adjust and they will wait 2 games before they add Seeden(SP?) along side Coop to return punts.

Wetjen? Good idea...we made some hay with McCarron back there alongside Desmond King when teams stopped kicking toward him.

Wetjen? Good idea...we made some hay with McCarron back there alongside Desmond King when teams stopped kicking toward him.

Wetjen

Yeah, that is the guy I meant. I’m old so I butcher names all the time. The premise remains the same tho, Northwestern and every one else won’t kick to him, so throw Wetjen back there alongside Coop.

Continuing the Deacon experiment without giving Joe a chance is just pure stubborn at this point. I kind of get he was a freshman RS last year but right now we have to be fielding the worst QB in our NCAA division.

Deacon has showed no trajectory of improvement. Not at all. So try the next guy. Maybe he's a gamer.

Most intelligent human beings would say “Hey the offense isn’t working, so let’s try a different approach.” I think as long as Kirk kept winning he thought it didn’t matter and that it would guarantee Brian’s position.

The loss was a huge setback for those reasons and brings the problem to the forefront again.

Parker could be offered Head Coach positions and get to choose the new offensive coordinator and make his top defensive position coach the defensive coordinator position. This would keep continuity in the defense standards.

Who would know the better offensive coordinator’s in college football better than Parker. At least Parker has proven his ability to expect excellence from his players.

Who’s responsible!!!!! Yes the coaches but the fans have a say in it too if they would stick together and say enough is enough quit throwing money at them. I know the fans don’t pay all the bills per say but they will take notice when no one shows up .
This is a silly post. I have heard it a million times. So, Iowa fans continue to show up, including sold out season tickets for fans and students. And the donations from the rich and powerful continue to roll in. Just forget about this solution.

Quarterback play overall in the B1G is really bad this year and Iowa is several notches below that.

Lainez and Resar both can move so we shall see after 2024.

Dochterman and Leistikow on their pod went through all the quarterbacks recruited to Iowa since Nate Stanley and I have to say the list is brutal.

Ferentz has this weird passive-aggressive thing of throwing shade at the backup quarterback. Maybe he is annoyed about people questioning why he doesn’t give the backup a look…I dunno. Anyway, I think Labas is gone as soon as the regular season is over. Frankly, I wouldn’t blame him.
He will bail out and transfer.

Quarterback play overall in the B1G is really bad this year and Iowa is several notches below that.

Lainez and Resar both can move so we shall see after 2024.

Dochterman and Leistikow on their pod went through all the quarterbacks recruited to Iowa since Nate Stanley and I have to say the list is brutal.

Ferentz has this weird passive-aggressive thing of throwing shade at the backup quarterback. Maybe he is annoyed about people questioning why he doesn’t give the backup a look…I dunno. Anyway, I think Labas is gone as soon as the regular season is over. Frankly, I wouldn’t blame him.

Here is the link to the podcast.
Good analysis.

Labas won the bowl for Christ's sake. And he managed that game very nicely. We have everything to gain and nothing to lose by starting him.
Labas was 14/24 for 139 and a TD.
No int / no fumbles
Better than what we are putting out there with Hill.

Labas was 14/24 for 139 and a TD.
No int / no fumbles
Better than what we are putting out there with Hill.
We would absolutely love those numbers...but sad state of affairs when we are pining for a QB with 58% completion % and 5.8 ypa.

Last edited:
I don't know the answer but why hasn't he played a down since McNamara got hurt? Played the bowl game last year and familiar with the God awful offensive scheme. And he can move a little. Ahhhh, there's the answer!
Lol
The lack of depth at QB has been an issue for a long time at Iowa. The reputation of Iowa makes recruiting that much harder. Somehow they got Cade but that was erased with his injuries. What you reap is what you sew and they are reaping a bitter harvest.

Without a new product to sell recruits I don't see it getting much better anytime soon.

People have been saying that ya can't expect to with much or for long unless you have an offense. I wonder if Kirk is starting to realize that.
Did you say lack of depth or lack of development????

We would absolutely love those numbers...but said state of affairs when we are pining for a QB with 58% completion % and 5.8 ypa.
I would add the bowl game was Labas' first start/game.
With a similar performance against MN, I think we win.

Continuing the Deacon experiment without giving Joe a chance is just pure stubborn at this point. I kind of get he was a freshman RS last year but right now we have to be fielding the worst QB in our NCAA division.

Deacon has showed no trajectory of improvement. Not at all. So try the next guy. Maybe he's a gamer.
Plus it's to the point that the fanbase is becoming so apathetic at this time. You at least give the fans some hope and a reason to be a bit optimistic if a change was made, IMO. It's gunna get bad if they just keep trucking the same out on the field. There is absolutely NO REASON to not change at this point. Three years of the worst offense in NCAA and a QB (solid and nice young man) that doesn't see to be progressing or making the offense move. I mean I'm no rocket surgeon by any means, but what the hell?

Plus it's to the point that the fanbase is becoming so apathetic at this time. You at least give the fans some hope and a reason to be a bit optimistic if a change was made, IMO. It's gunna get bad if they just keep trucking the same out on the field. There is absolutely NO REASON to not change at this point. Three years of the worst offense in NCAA and a QB (solid and nice young man) that doesn't see to be progressing or making the offense move. I mean I'm no rocket surgeon by any means, but what the hell?
Neither Kirk or Brian has shown any demonstrable competence to manage any aspect of the QB situation at Iowa.