Labas out for now

Scott Dochterman
@ScottDochterman
·
6h

Talked to Spencer Petras a bit before the scrimmage. He’s a non-student at Iowa, just a football employee. His arm is back to usual strength after shredding his labrum and rotator cuff against Nebraska but he cannot throw without pain.
I tore my labrum in my left shoulder in 2014 and had surgery done by the same surgeon that did Jared Allen’s.

It feels great and I have normal range of motion and strength, but no way could I throw a baseball. If it happened in my right shoulder that would’ve been the end of coaching for me.

I can lift weights, swing a bat, swing a golf club, etc., but throwing something overhand is out of the question.

Yeah, McNamara going down shows how fragile Iowa's season will be. Can certainly afford an injury in the TE, DL, RB, & even WR rooms; but not in the QB or DB rooms.

I tore my labrum in my left shoulder in 2014 and had surgery done by the same surgeon that did Jared Allen’s.

It feels great and I have normal range of motion and strength, but no way could I throw a baseball. If it happened in my right shoulder that would’ve been the end of coaching for me.

I can lift weights, swing a bat, swing a golf club, etc., but throwing something overhand is out of the question.
I hear ya. I didn't tear a labrum, but did have an elbow injury at the end of my senior of college. For BP, I had to learn to throw differently, using more shoulder than elbow. It was great until about 20 years later, I had to have shoulder surgery. Now I just look a clown when I throw, but I can throw without pain. I just tell the guys that I may throw weird, but I can throw hard enough to hurt if they make fun of me.

I hope we don't have to listen to people for long say that Marco waaaaay behind just toooo young. When we hear that for more than a season or two we've probably got someone who doesn't pack the gear to play at this level.

Walked off without help.
Not even a real hitch to his giddy up either. He was just taking it slow and walking gingerly. So that's good. Just odd to have a guy have his leg give out when he wasn't cutting or even accelerating. He was just in mid stride kinda. Hope it's as minor as KF was letting on

Sidearm? I know ya said it's your left and I couldn't throw a ball lefty for shit. I can shoot a basketball lefty a little bit. FTs and layups anyway. But no way could I throw a baseball 2% as well as I can right handed. That's gotta be weird to not be able to throw overhand but have all other kinds of range of motion just fine.

What a shitty injury for a qb to have. If say Petras woulda had any future in football it sounds like that was just pretty much a death sentence for it.

Not even a real hitch to his giddy up either. He was just taking it slow and walking gingerly. So that's good. Just odd to have a guy have his leg give out when he wasn't cutting or even accelerating. He was just in mid stride kinda. Hope it's as minor as KF was letting on

Yea, most likely they told him if he as any inclination of pain or that something is just nor right to shut down. That's what I would do and tell the player in this situation at this position.

Sidearm? I know ya said it's your left and I couldn't throw a ball lefty for shit. I can shoot a basketball lefty a little bit. FTs and layups anyway. But no way could I throw a baseball 2% as well as I can right handed. That's gotta be weird to not be able to throw overhand but have all other kinds of range of motion just fine.

What a shitty injury for a qb to have. If say Petras woulda had any future in football it sounds like that was just pretty much a death sentence for it.
Never really tried to throw much just because I'm a righty.