Kyle Meyer

I was wondering if Fran was trying to get Meyer in hopes of also getting his foot in with the Celtics. They have some serious talent coming out of there about almost annually. Get in good with the coach and maybe you can start snagging some big time prospects.

Maybe that would be icing on the cake. However, ESPN's description of Meyer seems right up Fran's alley for a 4-5.
Kyle Meyer ESPN Profile

UncleHawk

I was wondering if Fran was trying to get Meyer in hopes of also getting his foot in with the Celtics. They have some serious talent coming out of there about almost annually. Get in good with the coach and maybe you can start snagging some big time prospects.

Fran isn't in the position to offer a scholarship to someone he doesn't think is worthy, just to get in good with an AAU program.

Fran isn't in the position to offer a scholarship to someone he doesn't think is worthy, just to get in good with an AAU program.

I didn't say he wasn't worthy.

Let's say you have 2 or 3 guys that you really like. One of those guys plays on an AAU team you want to get a pipeline with. The other two don't. Who do you offer? That's all I'm saying. Recruiting is all about relationships and it looks like Fran is trying to get in with a really good program. It's a good thing

Let's say you have 2 or 3 guys that you really like. One of those guys plays on an AAU team you want to get a pipeline with. The other two don't. Who do you offer? That's all I'm saying. Recruiting is all about relationships and it looks like Fran is trying to get in with a really good program. It's a good thing

Or Fran saw a kid he liked and offered. This notion that he elected to give an offer to a kid even in part based on the AAU team he plays on is stupid.

He's coached for many years, Speraw coached for many years, Dillard was very involved with Nike basketball camps, they have connections and relationships, this is just an offer to a kid that they think can play.

You offer the best available player. Each kid is different, regardless if you have recruited a pipeline very well.

Maybe that would be icing on the cake. However, ESPN's description of Meyer seems right up Fran's alley for a 4-5.
Kyle Meyer ESPN Profile

UncleHawk

Thanks for the link. That seemed pretty much in line with the video earlier in the thread. He looks like he may still be growing into the body which hopefully means the upside is there. I can relate to him wearing the straps on the knees, and there was never anything more painful than going through a huge growth spurt at that age while playing ball. The pain and awkwardness went away with age, and hopefully they don't effect him in the future.

If Meyer commits to Iowa. What does McCaffery do with Woodbury? Does he continue to recruit Woodbury or does he pull Iowa's offer?

With the loss of Archie, Brommer, Cartwright & Gatens next year, can Iowa afford to use two scholarships on projects?

If Meyer commits to Iowa. What does McCaffery do with Woodbury? Does he continue to recruit Woodbury or does he pull Iowa's offer?

With the loss of Archie, Brommer, Cartwright & Gatens next year, can Iowa afford to use two scholarships on projects?

How is Meyer a project?

Last edited:

No way he pulls Woodbury's offer. He's near the top of Iowa's list for 2012. Meyer will probably be a 4, Woodbury the 5.

Who says they're both projects?

Or Fran saw a kid he liked and offered. This notion that he elected to give an offer to a kid even in part based on the AAU team he plays on is stupid.

He's coached for many years, Speraw coached for many years, Dillard was very involved with Nike basketball camps, they have connections and relationships, this is just an offer to a kid that they think can play.

You have no idea how college recruiting goes down do you? Like I said, coaches try and get in with big time AAU programs or prep schools all the time. They try and place kids at prep schools to help the prep school win more games, which makes the prep school happy, which in turn makes the prep coach more likely to send his best players to your school.

Like I said, Fran offered this kid b/c he is good. I am just wondering if he is trying to get a pipeline in on one of the best AAU programs. It would be a smart move by him and would pay off huge if he could get some connections there.

You have no idea how college recruiting goes down do you? Like I said, coaches try and get in with big time AAU programs or prep schools all the time. They try and place kids at prep schools to help the prep school win more games, which makes the prep school happy, which in turn makes the prep coach more likely to send his best players to your school.

Like I said, Fran offered this kid b/c he is good. I am just wondering if he is trying to get a pipeline in on one of the best AAU programs. It would be a smart move by him and would pay off huge if he could get some connections there.

You even say yourself he offered because he is good, and you are WONDERING IF HE IS TRYING TO GET A PIPELINE.

So please don't act like you have some insider knowledge of the recruiting game.....Your theory is just that, a theory, and you have no idea at all how Fran or Fred for that matter goes about recruiting.....

You even say yourself he offered because he is good, and you are WONDERING IF HE IS TRYING TO GET A PIPELINE.

So please don't act like you have some insider knowledge of the recruiting game.....Your theory is just that, a theory, and you have no idea at all how Fran or Fred for that matter goes about recruiting.....

3 players. All seem similar in talent. Player A comes from a decent AAU team in Iowa. Player B comes from a Ohio. Player C comes from one of the best AAU programs in the entire country.

Who do you think Fran is going to offer? Get a clue man. It's the game of recruiting. All I asked, and it is valid to anyone who actually follows college basketball recruiting, is if Fran is trying to get an in with the Celtics AAU program. If he is, good for him! They have serious talent

In defense of Cyclone17, I'm sure the Iowa football team offered Marcus Coker just because he is good, but they certainly don't mind the relationship that started with DeMatha as a result.

I don't think that should ever be the main motivation for offering a player, but it definitely doesn't hurt.

Neither Woodbury or Meyer are projects. They are both solid D1 post prospects who can contribute mintues right away. Meyer is a power forward and Woodbury is a center, so Iowa can take both. Not only can Iowa take both, Iowa needs the size badly to fill in for the losses of Cole, Brommer and Archie over the next couple seasons.

Next time do your homework before you make a post.

In defense of Cyclone17, I'm sure the Iowa football team offered Marcus Coker just because he is good, but they certainly don't mind the relationship that started with DeMatha as a result.

I don't think that should ever be the main motivation for offering a player, but it definitely doesn't hurt.

That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying the kid isn't good, but what makes Iowa go after one 4 star kid any different than another 4 star kid? Connections. Recruiting is all about connections and you want to get them at the right schools. DeMatha in football is a big connection for Kirk Ferentz. If you are really going to go after the good prospects, you may as well go after the school that is traditionally known for producing D1 schools. It's an added bonus when you go back to recruit again

3 players. All seem similar in talent. Player A comes from a decent AAU team in Iowa. Player B comes from a Ohio. Player C comes from one of the best AAU programs in the entire country.

Who do you think Fran is going to offer? Get a clue man. It's the game of recruiting. All I asked, and it is valid to anyone who actually follows college basketball recruiting, is if Fran is trying to get an in with the Celtics AAU program. If he is, good for him! They have serious talent

All things equal, you absolutely go with the kid that opens up better future recruiting possibilities. I'm picking up what you're laying down.

Neither Woodbury or Meyer are projects. They are both solid D1 post prospects who can contribute mintues right away. Meyer is a power forward and Woodbury is a center, so Iowa can take both. Not only can Iowa take both, Iowa needs the size badly to fill in for the losses of Cole, Brommer and Archie over the next couple seasons.

Next time do your homework before you make a post.

All but about 5 to 10 centers a year are projects IMO. You rarely get a 6'10 or taller HS player that steps on campus and isn't somewhat a project. The guys that are ready to compete right away go to Kentucky, Duke, etc.

True,but not all projects are created equal.
On Scouts,Woodbury is ranked the #74 player in the country...so yes,he is a project,but one that is considered to have a high ceiling.
Basabe was a project,but is better than expected.
Not an exact science,but if a guy like Meyer is playing alongside top rated big guys against other top rated big guys and holds his own, he probably can play pretty quickly.

True,but not all projects are created equal.
On Scouts,Woodbury is ranked the #74 player in the country...so yes,he is a project,but one that is considered to have a high ceiling.
Basabe was a project,but is better than expected.
Not an exact science,but if a guy like Meyer is playing alongside top rated big guys against other top rated big guys and holds his own, he probably can play pretty quickly.

Completely agree.

Latest posts