Kris Murray 1st-Team All-B1G, Rebraca 3rd-Team

Flip was so consistent and had good improvement from last year and the media gives him third team but the coaches only honorable mention? Figure it would be the other way around. Of course who really fills that stuff out and sends it in? Logically the coaches would know better, see it, and give him more props than the media would.

So what's Kris Murray thinking for next year? Is he leaving for the NBA or coming back?

Last edited:
So what's Chris Murray thinking for next year? Is he leaving for the NBA or coming back?
[/QUOTE

He at the very least will be testing the waters to the maximum to see what his draft status is. In my opinion. one league or the other he is gone. Hope I am wrong as we will really need him next year even more than this past season.

Flip was so consistent and had good improvement from last year and the media gives him third team but the coaches only honorable mention? Figure it would be the other way around. Of course who really fills that stuff out and sends it in? Logically the coaches would know better, see it, and give him more props than the media would.
I am just so pleased he got Big Ten recognition. Great guy! Exceptional teammate!

So what's Chris Murray thinking for next year? Is he leaving for the NBA or coming back?
I think he takes his B1G 20 points a game, capitalizes on the moderate success Keegan is having, and takes it to the next level. While I would like to see him back one more year, his earnings potential is going to erode the more he stays in college. Maybe not, I have no idea what he is getting in NIL. Lets see what he does from here on out and maybe (I hope) sends his stock ticker up a notch by getting us in the 2nd weekend of the tourney..........

As a follow, how many of us would trade having Kris one more year vs a significant run in the NCAA's? By significant, I mean elite 8 type of run.............after the Nebby debacle, I don't see it happening, but then again, stranger things have happened.

As a follow, how many of us would trade having Kris one more year vs a significant run in the NCAA's? By significant, I mean elite 8 type of run.............after the Nebby debacle, I don't see it happening, but then again, stranger things have happened.
With what is lost for next season, liklihood of a run NEXT season prob lower than this one. Prob not coming back, but not going to be drafted nearly as high as his bro. Late first round, early 2nd?

Without Kris, the Elite Eight might be a bit more difficult than it has been so far

In Hawkeye Basketball History

"Head coach Fran McCaffery has coached a first-team All-Big Ten honoree in eight of the last 10 seasons, matching the most over a 10-year span in program history (1939-48). Murray joins Devyn Marble (2014), Aaron White (2015), Jarrod Uthoff (2016), Peter Jok (2017), Garza (2020 and 2021), and Keegan Murray (2022) as first team selections."

This and Peyton getting a well-deserved Sixth Man of the Year award

:cool:

Last edited:
let me clarify, kinda confusing I think.........would you rather see an elite 8 run this year, when it would mean Kris becomes eligible for the draft, or experience our usual status quo if it meant Kris came back for unfinished business next year?

I understand, Kris has some consistency issues, and 3 pt shooting can be cold, but he is still the best we have consistently right now

All-Big Ten first-team selections under Fran McCaffery: 8

All-Big Ten first-team selections under Todd Lickliter, Steve Alford, Tom Davis and George Raveling COMBINED: 8

just saying for all of you who long for times when they were better
Basketball is a team game. If we follow up Nebraska with an early BTT exit and an early NCAA tourney exit will that fact keep you warm at night? When a friend who is a Purdue fans ribs you about how they are still playing are you gonna come back with we had 1 first teamer and 3 honorable mentions and you only had 1 first teamer and 2 honorable mentions??

Also think you have to go back. If there was only one all B1G team and POY, FOY, Def. POY for a total of 8 vs. the 52 honors slots you have now it is not apples to apples. The awards are fine but certainly a watered down version compared to back in the day. 66 if you count the sportsman slots. Almost as many B1G awards as NCAA tournament teams. :)

Last edited:
Basketball is a team game. If we follow up Nebraska with an early BTT exit and an early NCAA tourney exit will that fact keep you warm at night? When a friend who is a Purdue fans ribs you about how they are still playing are you gonna come back with we had 1 first teamer and 3 honorable mentions and you only had 1 first teamer and 2 honorable mentions??

Also think you have to go back. If there was only one all B1G team and POY, FOY, Def. POY for a total of 8 vs. the 52 honors slots you have now it is not apples to apples. The awards are fine but certainly a watered down version compared to back in the day. 66 if you count the sportsman slots. Almost as many B1G awards as NCAA tournament teams. :)
Absolutely apple to apples. Those are first team selections my man, pretty sure they only had a first team since whenever. Not watered down in any fashion. Can’t be better than first team. Fran’s had 8 of em, the previous 4 coaches had 8 of em.

hopefully that makes sense -

He may have got 1st team....but his shot has been pretty 3rd team.
Tied 2nd Big scoring. 1st and the other 2nd didn't really shoot 3s.

17th in shooting percentage. Only 3 others made 14 plus per game. 4 didn't score double digits

Pretty 3rd Team? Drew double teams a lot.

And he didn't play the worst Big Defensive team in fg%

I think he takes his B1G 20 points a game, capitalizes on the moderate success Keegan is having, and takes it to the next level. While I would like to see him back one more year, his earnings potential is going to erode the more he stays in college. Maybe not, I have no idea what he is getting in NIL. Lets see what he does from here on out and maybe (I hope) sends his stock ticker up a notch by getting us in the 2nd weekend of the tourney..........
Given Keagan is 89th in the NBA in minutes played and 105th in scoring. 100th in boards. Not All Star, but not exactly moderate. 89th in minutes played.

30 teams. 150 starting spots.... Pretty decent I would say. More non-starters than starters.

Tied 2nd Big scoring. 1st and the other 2nd didn't really shoot 3s.

17th in shooting percentage. Only 3 others made 14 plus per game. 4 didn't score double digits

Pretty 3rd Team? Drew double teams a lot.

And he didn't play the worst Big Defensive team in fg%
Ya….the stats do say otherwise….but I do agree with observation made by analysts he is mechanically off shooting 3s

Latest posts