KOK's playcalling is unreal

:p:p:p cib, you are killing me!

Those last 2 series were irrelevant. Nothing more than academic because there was still time left on the clock.

This game was lost on the 1st offensive series of the 2nd half and, actually, back in the 1st half. Please, explain the strategic advantage gained by the wr reverse and bubble screen calls on 1st down -- plays that take forever to develop -- against a fast, experienced defense. Please, what's you're apology for the coaching competence with regard to game-flow / momentum when you're driving the ball but resort to 2 plays that require more precise and extensive execution to be successful but that we've run only a handful of times all season with little to zero success.

I'm just curious what I'm missing.
That reverse play needs to be ripped out of the playbook and burned.

It tends to result in a first down more often than not. McNutt has gained 11 yards a carry this year on 5 carries, and I believe all but one were on end arounds.

Yeah, against crappy defenses. You can't run an end around against a good defense unless you have set it up and they aren't staying home.

Agreed. Iowa will always underachieve until KF realizes his way of coaching offense doesn't work.

Weve had teams with very good personnel on offense and it still dosen't work.

We go as far as the defense can carry us and no further.

The overall strategy is questionable at best, the play calling and personnel decisions are terrible, and there is never any rhythm or continuity to an Iowa offense. Oh yeah, need I mention clock management.

We saw against Pittsburg that this team has strengths that can be very potent and yet somehow the coaches have found absolutely no way to harness this, and I don't think they care to.

Honestly, how do you watch what happened against Pitt and not attempt to duplicate that the rest of the season rather than relying on pounding the ball with a fullback?

Im sick of it.

You all are clowns. They're doing just for given the talent that they're able to recruit to Iowa. I'm not trying to bash Iowa by any means here but it's just a fact that most great offensive playmakers in high school don't ever come here. The coaches do a great job turning the talent they're able to get I commit here into decent offensive talent. Remember McNutt was a QB originally and they were able to turn him into a very successful receiver.

As far as the Pitt comment goes. You're clueless if you think we shoul just be able to throw Vandenberg out there in the shotgun all day and pick apart defenses. The Pitt coaching staff completely dropped the ball in that game and went to prevent defense (which if given time can be picked apart by any QB playing in his families Thanksgiving backyard game) way too early which then gave Iowa big momentum throughout the rest if the game. They even admitted they went to it too early.

Agreed. Iowa will always underachieve until KF realizes his way of coaching offense doesn't work.Weve had teams with very good personnel on offense and it still dosen't work.We go as far as the defense can carry us and no further.The overall strategy is questionable at best, the play calling and personnel decisions are terrible, and there is never any rhythm or continuity to an Iowa offense. Oh yeah, need I mention clock management. We saw against Pittsburg that this team has strengths that can be very potent and yet somehow the coaches have found absolutely no way to harness this, and I don't think they care to. Honestly, how do you watch what happened against Pitt and not attempt to duplicate that the rest of the season rather than relying on pounding the ball with a fullback?Im sick of it.
You all are clowns. They're doing just for given the talent that they're able to recruit to Iowa. I'm not trying to bash Iowa by any means here but it's just a fact that most great offensive playmakers in high school don't ever come here. The coaches do a great job turning the talent they're able to get I commit here into decent offensive talent. Remember McNutt was a QB originally and they were able to turn him into a very successful receiver.As far as the Pitt comment goes. You're clueless if you think we shoul just be able to throw Vandenberg out there in the shotgun all day and pick apart defenses. The Pitt coaching staff completely dropped the ball in that game and went to prevent defense (which if given time can be picked apart by any QB playing in his families Thanksgiving backyard game) way too early which then gave Iowa big momentum throughout the rest if the game. They even admitted they went to it too early.

Iowa State's offense is more dynamic than Iowa's and utilizes more players that touch the ball. They must have more resources and a better recruiting pipeline than Iowa.... O'keefe would not be here but for his friendship with Ferentz. He literally had not spend one second at a D1 school prior to Iowa, he spent less than one year at Fordham (1aa) and the bulk of his career at Alleghey, which is the equivalent of Wartburg or Simpson. I recall very cleary looking at his background when Ferentz hired him and asking how the heck can you bring this guy in to run the offense? If they were related it would be blatant nepotism, but because they were just close friends we just have to deal with yet. Go check out O'keefe's resume and tell me how he even got an interview, let alone the coordinator job.

I guess I didn't see anything glaringly bad about the offensive gameplan at all. JVB's had an awesome year and I'm really excited about having him back for one more, but he didn't have his best day yesterday. I felt he looked a little tight...but in his defense, I think the Nebraska D had a LOT to do with this - the coverage was pretty tight all day long.

Whatever was going on, when your QB can't distribute the ball around in the passing game, what exactly do you want any OC to do?

I thought the Nebraska D looked very good in pass defense and I think the windows were looking really, really small to JVB (which isn't an accusation...they WERE really small, for the most part) - end result = a pretty flaccid day for the offense.

I'm looking for JVB to give the Cornsuckers their comeuppance next year in Kinnick, though... :)

I guess I didn't see anything glaringly bad about the offensive gameplan at all. JVB's had an awesome year and I'm really excited about having him back for one more, but he didn't have his best day yesterday. I felt he looked a little tight...but in his defense, I think the Nebraska D had a LOT to do with this - the coverage was pretty tight all day long.

Whatever was going on, when your QB can't distribute the ball around in the passing game, what exactly do you want any OC to do?

I thought the Nebraska D looked very good in pass defense and I think the windows were looking really, really small to JVB (which isn't an accusation...they WERE really small, for the most part) - end result = a pretty flaccid day for the offense.

I'm looking for JVB to give the Cornsuckers their comeuppance next year in Kinnick, though... :)
This is all very true.

Except they had the wind in the 3rd quarter, and choose not to go into hurry-up, throw on every down until they were against the wind.
Next time can you dig a little deeper to find a way to blame it on the coaches:rolleyes: WOW!

Next time can you dig a little deeper to find a way to blame it on the coaches:rolleyes: WOW!

I'm sorry. Our athletes matched up well with Nebraska's athletes. I'm not some Johnny come lately. I was, until recently a supporter of the coaching staff. I understand many times plays are called for reasons not self-evident to the average fan.

I played at a level that I know a couple of things.

I also know even Nebraska was confused about why we didn't continue to run the ball.

I know some other things, but I also know sometimes it's just best to say nothing, so that's what I'll do.

I'm sorry. Our athletes matched up well with Nebraska's athletes. I'm not some Johnny come lately. I was, until recently a supporter of the coaching staff. I understand many times plays are called for reasons not self-evident to the average fan.

I played at a level that I know a couple of things.

I also know even Nebraska was confused about why we didn't continue to run the ball.

I know some other things, but I also know sometimes it's just best to say nothing, so that's what I'll do.
I think what many people fail to realize (not necessarily you) is that going to Lincoln and winning would be tough no matter who the coach is or how good our team is. We lost. End of story.

You can be certain that one of us will, and the post will be followed by YOU digging even deeper to defend these gutless, confused, schematically outmatched "coaches" on the Iowa sideline. Why, cib?? :confused:

You can be certain that one of us will, and the post will be followed by YOU digging even deeper to defend these gutless, confused, schematically outmatched "coaches" on the Iowa sideline. Why, cib?? :confused:
I don't defend....just trying to remain as rational as possible. Every win, we've got the greatest team on earth...and every loss, we need to fire our coaches. Fickle.

I think what many people fail to realize (not necessarily you) is that going to Lincoln and winning would be tough no matter who the coach is or how good our team is. We lost. End of story.

You're correct. Winning would have been difficult. Our best opportunity was in the first quarter (and we were winning the game within the game, and the battle of both lines), and the third quarter. That's what some of us are upset about. The two best opportunities, notwithstanding some player execution issues, were also blown by some basic coaching errors.

Maybe you, and about 10% of the folks on here will get this. The rest will come up with reasons to blast me.

Not every time a play isn't successful is it the fault of the play call. The fact that Nebraska could be run against, and we went away from it is an epic failure in overall game plan, and on field decision making.

I don't defend....just trying to remain as rational as possible. Every win, we've got the greatest team on earth...and every loss, we need to fire our coaches. Fickle.

So which Ferentz are you: Brian? Mary? Tito?

By the way, thanks to Vin for quoting me in his sig. I think.

Some are fickle, but there is a fairly substantial group of long-term, knowledgeable fans that have always been alarmed by the KF/KOK/Norm "way". Yes, winning may temporarily drown us out, but we're still here, pointing out the same elemental flaws in the Iowa system under Ferentz.

Latest posts