KOK worst OC in the Big10?

Please list the active OCs in the B10 who have more B10 wins than KOK. I want KOK to run the read option. No, we should run a spread like Texas Tech's when they had Crabtree. No, I want an option attack similar to Nebraska when they had Eric Crouch.

I can't wait until the mods throw the ban hammer down on idiots who start threads calling out coaches.

Please list the active OCs in the B10 who have more B10 wins than KOK. I want KOK to run the read option. No, we should run a spread like Texas Tech's when they had Crabtree. No, I want an option attack similar to Nebraska when they had Eric Crouch.

I can't wait until the mods throw the ban hammer down on idiots who start threads calling out coaches.

Wins are an imperfect stat for an OC, much like they are for pitchers in baseball. I don't agree with everything that KOK does, but I think I know only one person who does ;). Anyway, most of the time I agree with the way things get done. I don't want a spread, or to see the Hawks go for 50 every week like Oregon. But I would like to see them get that extra TD to put their foot on our opponent's throat. Note that I'm not saying they need to stomp on our opponents' throat. I just want them to make it clear to everyone (including the pollsters), that they very easily could have if they wanted to.

No, he is the best. He does more with less talent than anyone in the Big Ten.

But you might have just registered the worst post of all time. I'm serious.

Congratulations

Really? Even with all the garbage that Shane spews around here? :D

Well the great thing about this thread is that Hawkeye123456789 has really had a lot of good arguments for this case. "I think hes down there." That basically sums it up. :confused:

Actually, he is just having some fun with the earlier post that says "he's up there" (in that post the person is arguing that KOK is the best OC in the Big Ten).

Obviously it is not the worst post of all time. I think I accomplished that honor a few months ago!!!

But I must confess that I am not really sure how the heck you judge an OC anyway. Can you really use any criteria other than wins and losses? What criteria do you use? Average yards per game? Yards per play? Red Zone percentage? TDs per game? Turnovers per game? I really do not know.

I think you judge the OC based on wins and losses. Under that criteria, KOK has done well, winning almost 66% of his games at Iowa over the past 9 years. The offensive philosophy really has to compliment, and be consistent with, the philosophy of your team's defense on the other side of the ball.

I started this thread somewhat in jest at the other thread that thinks KOK is the best OC in the Big10. In all honesty, I think you can make an argument for him being good (not the best) and bad (not the worst). We need to score more points but at the same time the philosophy of the entire program is to be only as aggressive as necessary to win games. That philosophy lost us the game last year against fOSU when we played for OT. I still have no idea what the coaches were thinking on that one.

Our team isn't designed to score points quickly and when we get down early it's hard to make up the difference (see Arizona for example). When the design is to throw a lot of screens and hammer the ball up the middle, we have a difficult time of shifting gears.

I started this thread somewhat in jest at the other thread that thinks KOK is the best OC in the Big10. In all honesty, I think you can make an argument for him being good (not the best) and bad (not the worst). We need to score more points but at the same time the philosophy of the entire program is to be only as aggressive as necessary to win games. That philosophy lost us the game last year against fOSU when we played for OT. I still have no idea what the coaches were thinking on that one.

Our team isn't designed to score points quickly and when we get down early it's hard to make up the difference (see Arizona for example). When the design is to throw a lot of screens and hammer the ball up the middle, we have a difficult time of shifting gears.

The coaches were thinking they had a kid in the midst of his first road start at QB that had already thrown 2 picks. In the game trying drive alone he had a pick 6 negated by an encroachment penalty and a ball thrown into double coverage that somehow landed in Moeaki's hands.

It was the right move to call a draw and hope the RB breaks off 20 yards then play for a field goal. It didnt happen and they played for OT in hopes the D could win it. It did not work out for us but it was the right call.

There is an old saying: "Victory has a thousand brothers and defeat is an orphan"

Relating to KOK, I would say that "Victory has a thousand supporters and defeat has a thousand Monday Morning Quarterbacks"

If Iowa had won the Ohio State game in OT, you wouldn't hear very much about it any more. The defeat of course leads to the second-guessing.

I agree that Ferentz is conservative.

Compare him to Mark d'Antonio, who went for it with a fake field goal on 4th and 7 against NOtre Dame, one of their big rivals. And it worked!!!

Kirk does occasionally roll the dice: Remember the fake field goal in the Orange Bowl? It almost wne for a touchdown!!!

Every time I want to bash KOK, something happens to shake me back to reality. He has a wealth of knowledge of the game. When he had NO running backs they made it work with the short passing game. Last year during the Mich St. game the TD pass to McNutt they hadn't practiced in weeks. Again he drives me crazy with his play calling but, they somehow manage to win games and have put up some impressive offensive numbers over the years.

I knew this at one time about KOK, but had forgotten:

O'Keefe was the head coach at Fordham University in 1998 and was the head coach at Allegheny College for eight seasons (1990-97). His career record of 83-17-1 includes a 79-10-1 mark at Allegheny, where his team won five North Coast Athletic Conference titles and the 1990 NCAA Division III national title. O'Keefe led Allegheny to four undefeated regular seasons (1990, 1991, 1994 and 1996) and six NCAA playoffs.

Sure, it's not the Big 10, but there aren't that many coaches that boast that type of record over a 9 year stretch...I'm (re)impressed now that I've reminded myself!

Latest posts