Kirk's Next Move?

SCHawkeye2

What will Kirk's next move be?
No matter how much he may want to, resigning in protest would cost him millions.
UI doesnt want to fire him for many reasons, not least of which it is the millions of $ remaining in his contract.
A negotiated settlement to resign at year-end?

Kirk is a very good coach in many respects. Best thing he can do is help fix the offense. That will help the fans, players, administrators and most of all fix his reputation.

KF isn't getting fired... I've thought even before this yr this could be his last. Now I'm just more convinced it will. With how the college football landscape is changing no more east west divisions and conference expansion and now this I think he already knows he's wrapping it up. Just a matter of when he'll make it public. He could sit on it till the bowl game or so or announce it this afternoon. Nothing would surprise me besides say him choosing a new OC sooner then later.

I could see BF just stepping down now. To coach this out the rest of the way would be pretty damn tough to do. So I don't know. That could go either way too.

There is no evidence that KF is as embittered as this post is suggesting. Is he upset that his son is being let go at the end of the year whether he likes it or not? Assuredly. And, while he obviously has a blind spot for his son in this regard, he is also not a moron, and sees that his offense is absolutely a drag on his program as a whole. BF is also not an idiot and can see the results on the field too. They may not like this decision, but they really cannot argue with its ultimate merits.

Both BF and KF are professionals and have been the face of, or part of, Iowa football for decades. I expect both men to do what they always do, which is focus on the team and winning, and then evaluate things at the end of the season. BF will land a new gig. KF will decide if this is how he wants to go out. I would bet KF wants to keep coaching at Iowa.

Depends on how the conversation went w/ Beth in regards to letting Brian go. I feel Kirk's demeanor at the press conference today will potentially let us know how it went down.

I would love to see him come out and give a Mike Gundy type rant. "I'm a man! Brian is a good kid that did nothing wrong, etc., come after me, I'm 60+"

But I assume a lot of monotone non-committal answers and a lot of we're just focused on NW, etc.

He shut down the players access - my read is he isn't happy. To the OP, my guess is retire
Totally get why he shut down the players access today. He probably didn't have a chance to address the team about it hardly yet. Maybe this morning they did hard to say. But yeah any kid with strong opinions on it he may want to muzzle for PRs sake.

There is no evidence that KF is as embittered as this post is suggesting. Is he upset that his son is being let go at the end of the year whether he likes it or not? Assuredly. And, while he obviously has a blind spot for his son in this regard, he is also not a moron, and sees that his offense is absolutely a drag on his program as a whole. BF is also not an idiot and can see the results on the field too. They may not like this decision, but they really cannot argue with its ultimate merits.

Both BF and KF are professionals and have been the face of, or part of, Iowa football for decades. I expect both men to do what they always do, which is focus on the team and winning, and then evaluate things at the end of the season. BF will land a new gig. KF will decide if this is how he wants to go out. I would bet KF wants to keep coaching at Iowa.

I'm kind of where you are. I understand KF being upset with how this has gone down, but he and Brian had to expect it, to be honest. He's not dumb. I understand the past couple days were pretty upsetting, but I would think in a way it would be a bit liberating to each of them to a point. I would think KF would have a little sense of relief that it is finally over and they can move on. He knows Brian will be fine.

I'm not surprised he did that as all media would just ask the players about the situation. That is not needed at this point in time.
I just get the idea that this has been forced on him. IMO, it's a good thing and part of why Beth was brought in. Iowa isn't going to allow KF to hold Iowa football hostage down the stretch regardless of his previous success. My guess is he doesn't like it and this could be it. If so, I am fine with it, the only way Iowa's offense is going to change is by removing our HC IMO, or a drastic change in ideals for Kirk and I don't see that happening any time soon.

I just hope it's the right move. It probably is the right move...that said, who you hire next is the real move that needs to have the focus.

I like your point of view. I hope you are right.

I think Brian coaches out the year. Maybe not a bowl game. I think he is genuinely sincere in his statement about doing what he needs to do as long as he's employed by the program. I think he genuinely tries and thinks he's doing what's best (outside of actual performance), and often is. Sure, nobody's perfect and his sense of what's best might not always be ideal. Mine wouldn't be. I doubt anybody is that perfect. But, I do believe he is genuine and I'm OK with it. I would rather let it play out while they all work behind the scenes to decide on a way forward than just throwing people in, or throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. I also wonder if there's not a little weight off his shoulders. Bittersweet feelings on his part, I'm sure. Bitter and bittersweet. But, maybe it allows him to breathe a little and take chances at rearranging (whatever that means). And maybe he gets that latitude out of pity and gratitude from his dad. Who knows, maybe we end up questioning the decision. Well, I don't see that. But at least maybe thinking "why weren't we doing that all along?!?!?!?!?!?"

I do believe the news came out a minimum of 24 hours faster than they wanted it to. My guess is the timeline was full of a number of pitfalls and didn't proceed the way anyone wanted it to. Nobody who reaches the level of interim AD at a Big 10 university would allow information like this to reach the public without being in front of it, unless there was a variety of circumstances that makes that essentially impossible or inadvisable.

I just get the idea that this has been forced on him. IMO, it's a good thing and part of why Beth was brought in. Iowa isn't going to allow KF to hold Iowa football hostage down the stretch regardless of his previous success. My guess is he doesn't like it and this could be it. If so, I am fine with it, the only way Iowa's offense is going to change is by removing our HC IMO, or a drastic change in ideals for Kirk and I don't see that happening any time soon.

I just hope it's the right move. It probably is the right move...that said, who you hire next is the real move that needs to have the focus.

I'm sure he doesn't like it because he likes "yes men" and he would not be challenged which is an unkn to him at this time. This makes people like him pretty nervous. Deep down I'm sure he realized it wasn't looking good but I think he hoped it could be turned around to be a great season.

I will always respect what he has done as a coach and appreciate it, but, everyone knows this was going or is going to happen at some point. Never a good time and there will be apprehension regardless if it is after this season or after 2-3 more.

Kirk next move should be assigning Brian to coach from the Press Box. Brian is under contract and if he quit now he would be sacrificing his remaining salary. What would be awkward for Brian is being on the sideline at the two remaining home games and walking off Duke Slater Field for the final time as a Hawkeye coach. It has been a major part of his life. Moving him away from the sideline would eliminate a distraction for the team. Secondly, how much effort is he going to put in the next 4 weeks? From personal experience you shut down to only the essential duties because you're leaving to the next assignment or retiring. This would allow Kirk to substitute someone else doing the game plan and play calling.

Once the bowl game is over and the transfer portal opens it will influence Kirk's decision. Another factor will be losing some of his assistant coaches. If Parker and Woods get job offers they cannot refuse, that will hasten his decision.

Latest posts