Kirk signs contract extension, 7 Million a year through 2029

So let me get this straight. This is a thread complaining about a raise that we gave our HOF coach that has a record of 63-25 (71% winning percentage at a P5 school) since 2015 with 2 division titles, 5 top 25 AP final appearances, 26 players drafted to the NFL (6 in the first round)?

Is that right? Aight continue but never change Iowa fans. Never change!
Recently someone tweeted out that KFs buyout today if he were to be fired is 48 mil... It goes down by like 6 or 7 every year as they go by. So unless he retires before 2029 dude is guaranteed all that. I suspect he'll stick around till then. Or if he can pass the torch to his kid sooner he'd probably do that. (Nooo chance of that happening anytime soon if at all. I mean if that becomes a possibility then we'll be watching some really awesome football on offense)

I'm generally not a fan of those crazy large buyouts for coaches but KF is the exception. If only because I loathe the day whenever we replace him. That will be a sad day to me and the unknown of what the program will become (with a new AD as well I would assume) has some bad possibilities to it. If the school couldn't afford it that'd be one thing but since they can I'd rather have that security of him then the unknown so here's to him not getting fired anytime soon or at all.

So let me get this straight. This is a thread complaining about a raise that we gave our HOF coach that has a record of 63-25 (71% winning percentage at a P5 school) since 2015 with 2 division titles, 5 top 25 AP final appearances, 26 players drafted to the NFL (6 in the first round)?

Is that right? Aight continue but never change Iowa fans. Never change!
I’m fine with him being locked in. Unless LeVar Woods is the next head coach, the Hayden Fry era of Iowa football is over. And I don’t want to see that.

If LeVar gets hired at some point and can coach for 25 years, I’ll be in my 70s and can die happy.

KF is actually worth a lot more $$$ to Iowa and they've always got him at a song as far as return on investment. I've never understood the obsession with his pay and this makes him what? Fringe top 20 as far as pay but is the longest tenured coach in the game and coaches at one of the Power 2 conferences? They could give him a heap more of dough and I'd still be like, worth it.

KF is actually worth a lot more $$$ to Iowa and they've always got him at a song as far as return on investment. I've never understood the obsession with his pay and this makes him what? Fringe top 20 as far as pay but is the longest tenured coach in the game and coaches at one of the Power 2 conferences? They could give him a heap more of dough and I'd still be like, worth it.
That's the exact justification for it too. Would that big fancy practice facility be there with no KF? All the renovations that'd have been done to Kinnick the last 15 plus yrs? The overall state of the program is where it is due to him. I don't think it's much more complicated than that.

Just the stability of the program alone is worth that price tag.

I turn 42 next month and there have been two football head coaches at Iowa in my lifetime.

First of all the records dont prove that iowa isnt top 20. Did you add up all the wins for every team since 2000 NO. Ok. second i will say that the stability is why iowa is winning at a high level so i would say it goes hand in hand one is not more important then then the other. But i will gladly take Stabilty over Losing though.

For what it is worth, if you add up both decades, Iowa is 22nd out of 119 teams with 161 wins. Just behind Miama, Michigan, and Penn State. Tied with West Virginia. Just ahead of Ok St., Nebraska, and BYU.

Interesting tidbit...Notre Dame is 46th (20 fewer wins than Iowa over that span). But if you look at the last 5 years, Notre Dame is 6th in wins (Iowa is 13th).

Last edited:
For what it is worth, if you add up both decades, Iowa is 22nd out of 119 teams with 161 wins. Just behind Miama, Michigan, and Penn State. Tied with West Virginia. Just ahead of Ok St., Nebraska, and BYU.

Interesting tidbit...Notre Dame is 46th (20 fewer wins than Iowa over that span). But if you look at the last 5 years, Notre Dame is 6th in wins (Iowa is 13th).

And just because I have been messing around on Teamrankings.com, looking at numbers, here is one of my favorite myth-busting KF stats:

Since 2015, Iowa has the 3rd highest win% as a Vegas-favorite (91.4%). The only teams higher are Alabama (93.3%) and Clemson (92.8%). So cool it with the "Iowa always loses a game it shouldn't" noise...that is true of all teams. Upsets happen, but they happen less to Iowa (at least when judged by Vegas' "expectations") than to most teams.

And yes, I know that Vegas isn't necessarily predicting who will win, but rather trying to even out betting numbers. But it is a rough, historically-available proxy which represents how teams do when favored.

For all I care his buy out could be 100 Million. The bottom line is the university will never buy him out and he'll leave when he wants. IMO the buyout is absolutely irrelevant, because it's not going to happen and is a non-factor.

For all I care his buy out could be 100 Million. The bottom line is the university will never buy him out and he'll leave when he wants. IMO the buyout is absolutely irrelevant, because it's not going to happen and is a non-factor.
That's the thing. He's every bit as entrenched as Paterno was at PSU and Saban is at Bama now. Those folks on the outside in the media just don't corollate KF to them in that same sort of way but he absolutely is. And has been for quite awhile now

Last edited:

Latest posts