Kirk Ferentz...the next Tom Davis?

I don't post very often, but at my age, when something really bothers me, I feel the need to preach to the inexperienced and naive whether it's my kids, my co-workers or fellow Hawkeye fans...to share my 50 years of wisdom, trials and tribulations so that others may learn without the same amount of pain that I've endured...My Hawkeye football memories go back pre-Hayden to the days of Frank Laterbur and Bob Commings. Memories of winless seasons....memories of the times when Iowa State was more relevant than Iowa...

As 2012 unfolds, it seems more and more fans are lining up to jump on the Fire Ferentz bandwagon. It reminds me of the same sort of posse that lined up to lynch Tom Davis when his contract was non-renewed after the 1998-99 basketball season. What followed was some of the worst basketball in Hawkeye history and unfortunate tenures of Steve Alford and Todd Lickliter. The Hawkeyes have only recently landed what appears to be a credible basketball coach with an improving and exciting program. What remains to be seen is that whether we can return to respectibility in the Big Ten and possibly the national scene. Even if the Hawkeyes can regain a nationally respected system, what certainty is there that Coach Fran will stay at Iowa and not move on to another school that has more tradition or cash. If Coach Fran is successful, you can bet he'll get about a dozen offers a day that will come with more storied traditions or more money and prestige.

If you look at Kirk's history at Iowa, it's eerily similar to Coach Davis'.

1. Coach Davis completed 13 seasons at Iowa beginning in 1986-87 and finished in 1998 -99. Coach Ferentz completed 13 seasons last year starting in fall after Coach Davis left 1999-2000. This year is his 14th season.

2. Coach Davis' teams highest Big Ten finish was a tie for second in 96-97, but went to the NCAA tournament 9 different seasons, the NIT once and only twice did not appear in the postseason. Coach Ferentz' teams highest Big Ten finish was a tie for first in 2002 and 2004. They've been to bowl games 10 of the 13 seasons.

3. Both coaches are men of integrity, compassion and lifelong commitments to the University of Iowa. Coach Davis handled his departure with class and has always maintained an outstanding relationship with the University.

While Coach Ferentz has had several offers to leave, he's remained loyal to the Hawkeyes, Iowa City and his family. While many fans complain about his salary, it seems apparent that the University of Iowa and the athletic donors have been willing to pay him to ensure his continued employment rather than lose him to another college or pro team. I'm sure everyone of those people complaining about his salary would fight to the death for the opportunity to extract the maximum salary that their employer would be willing to pay them.

I personally believe, that while I'm disappointed in the recent start, that I'll stand by Coach Ferentz as long as he'd like to coach at Iowa and I will not join the posse that wants him to be replaced.

As the saying goes...better the devil you know than the devil you don't...
A few recent examples from high profile schools include:

Rich Rodriguez - Michigan
Frank Solich / Bill Callahan - Nebraska
Gerry Faust / Bob Davie / Tyrone Willingham / Charlie Weis - Notre Dame
John L Smith - Arkansas
Foge Fazio / Paul Hackett / Johnny Majors (again) / Walt Harris / Dave Wannstadt - Pittsburgh
Joe Paterno - Penn State

In summary, we are not Michigan, Notre Dame, Nebraska or Penn State --- but more like the University of Pittsburgh. The odds of picking the next best thing for Iowa Football are very long and difficult. The next big thing may very well come in and behave like Steve Alford and cripple our program for years in the same way our basketball program was crippled. If it happens at schools like Nebraska, Notre Dame and other gold plated programs, it hard to believe it's nothing more than a lottery ticket to pluck the next Coach Kirk from Maine or Coach Fran from Sienna.

I was excited to see Kirk make some coaching changes this year and I think we need to be patient. While the Iowa program is a good job, it's not Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State and anyone we hire will extract a similar salary and face the same hurdles that our current coaches face with fact that we can't offer some of the same luxuries, legal or otherwise that many of the blue ribbon programs offer.
Kirk's coaching tenure is kind of like my first marriage --- after 13 years, I was ready for a new wife. When it actually happened, it turned my life upside down and I still haven't recovered fully twelve years later. She left with my house, half of my money and I've never found a replacement that didn't come with more baggage that than the first one. --- Trust me...nothing good can come of this. That is all....

First off great post, I too have often thought there is a lot of similarities between Kirk and the good Dr. First off I think the argument that we are not a blue blood in football is old and bothersome. There is more parity in college football then ever before, scholarship limits and that have changed the face of the game. Bill Snyder is a great coach, some can argue but to build a winner at K-State once was huge, twice is amazing. I think most informed Iowa fans know who the brains of the Iowa resurrection was...Bill Snyder. I think when Kirk makes the money he does, expectations come with it. He knows that and so does the fan base. There are very few coaches who would not come to Iowa with the salary we offer. I simply do not and never will buy the we are Iowa argument. I think Kirk did some very smart things in hiring two young guns this year. If he was really smart he would of let Brian be the offensive coordinator. He was going to be O coordinator at an NFL program if not for New England. Kirk simply has a mild demeanor and is a genuine nice guy. In this day and age, I know I coach and teach, that is not what young athletes want. They want the bling, they want the dazzle, they want fire and brimstone, they want someone to lead them with a passionate style. Kirk simply is not that man, and I am not saying that is a bad thing. When I see Iowa play I see a team that is reserved, I see a style of play that is reserved, I see a team afraid to win. I know that sounds cliche...but it is true in athletics. Athletes today want someone who takes chances, is willing to take a chance to sacrifice big things for HIS GUYS.

I know I sound like I want Kirk out...I don't. I want him to allow his young passionate coaches to start being passionate. Showing their individual groups the passion and fire they want and need. I watch other teams in all the leagues, there is passion and there is fire in the current successful programs. Not a head coach mismanaging the clock, not willing to take chances, and assistant coaches who show little or no emotion. I know I have binoculars and I go to all home games, they are fired up. Tell me the last time you saw an assistant coach meeting their guys and jumping and body slamming them as they come to the sideline? This generation of athlete demands that attention and style..like it or not.

If things stay the same we will be paying for a top 10 coach and approaching a top 10 program maybe once every four or five years. So what has to happen...well only Mr. Barta and Mr. Ferentz know what has to happen. I hope together they figure it out. Because a man as good as the Captain deserves to be handled in a professional and caring manner. He has done much for Iowa football and the University of Iowa. However today you are judged on results, earn the big bucks, and expectations follow. Ask Frank Solich...nice guys finish last in this business. Trust me...something good can come for this...the question is what will it be?

First off great post, I too have often thought there is a lot of similarities between Kirk and the good Dr. First off I think the argument that we are not a blue blood in football is old and bothersome. There is more parity in college football then ever before, scholarship limits and that have changed the face of the game. Bill Snyder is a great coach, some can argue but to build a winner at K-State once was huge, twice is amazing. I think most informed Iowa fans know who the brains of the Iowa resurrection was...Bill Snyder. I think when Kirk makes the money he does, expectations come with it. He knows that and so does the fan base. There are very few coaches who would not come to Iowa with the salary we offer. I simply do not and never will buy the we are Iowa argument. I think Kirk did some very smart things in hiring two young guns this year. If he was really smart he would of let Brian be the offensive coordinator. He was going to be O coordinator at an NFL program if not for New England. Kirk simply has a mild demeanor and is a genuine nice guy. In this day and age, I know I coach and teach, that is not what young athletes want. They want the bling, they want the dazzle, they want fire and brimstone, they want someone to lead them with a passionate style. Kirk simply is not that man, and I am not saying that is a bad thing. When I see Iowa play I see a team that is reserved, I see a style of play that is reserved, I see a team afraid to win. I know that sounds cliche...but it is true in athletics. Athletes today want someone who takes chances, is willing to take a chance to sacrifice big things for HIS GUYS.

I know I sound like I want Kirk out...I don't. I want him to allow his young passionate coaches to start being passionate. Showing their individual groups the passion and fire they want and need. I watch other teams in all the leagues, there is passion and there is fire in the current successful programs. Not a head coach mismanaging the clock, not willing to take chances, and assistant coaches who show little or no emotion. I know I have binoculars and I go to all home games, they are fired up. Tell me the last time you saw an assistant coach meeting their guys and jumping and body slamming them as they come to the sideline? This generation of athlete demands that attention and style..like it or not.

If things stay the same we will be paying for a top 10 coach and approaching a top 10 program maybe once every four or five years. So what has to happen...well only Mr. Barta and Mr. Ferentz know what has to happen. I hope together they figure it out. Because a man as good as the Captain deserves to be handled in a professional and caring manner. He has done much for Iowa football and the University of Iowa. However today you are judged on results, earn the big bucks, and expectations follow. Ask Frank Solich...nice guys finish last in this business. Trust me...something good can come for this...the question is what will it be?

Nice post.

SayberHawk, Loesshillshawk. As disappointed as I am at last weekends defeat, I agree with your points. The financial impact of terminating a contract with 7+ years on it can't be taken lightly. The impact may go beyond the football program as Iowa doesn't have the endowments or resources of the major institutions. Not that Iowa compares with Nebraska, or any of the national powers, just look at how long it took to get them back on the winning track. Nebraska still isn't in the national title hunt and it's been two(?) decades since Osborn retired. There are many other examples. Alabama...30 years(?) to get back to national prominance. Michigan is still going through problems. Firing the coach is a short term despiration answer. In the end it will cause more problems than it solves.

There is a lot of talent on this team and most of it is returning next year. It maybe a long year, but the future isn't as bad as some think.

You point out some similarities...good post. But I'd suggest some big differences as well.

Mr. Davis's teams often over-performed (especially his last one that made the Sweet 16), largely due to his scheme. Ferentz's teams often under-perform... also largely due to his scheme.

Mr. Davis was widely respected, but he never had the kind of National profile Ferentz has enjoyed. So Ferentz had much more leverage with which to elevate and strengthen the program. Looking at where we are today...he obviously failed to take advantage of it.

Mr. Davis seemed to lose a step after the Chris Street accident. I can understand that, it was a heart-breaking event...and I don't think Mr. Davis was ever the same. Ferentz did lose his Father a few years ago, but I don't see that as quite as tramatic an event...circle of life and all that. His "slip" inconveniently comes on the heels of a huge juicy contract extension. So why he seems to have gone "flat" is up for speculation. But having nothing to prove, and a golden parachute... certainly is a consideration.

And if we look at this year as "the end"... Davis's final team was spirited and achieved more than most thought they could. This year's Ferentz squad is as bad as the team KFz fielded during his early rebuilding years. Pathetic.

But you know what the biggest similarity is? Neither one of them knew when to use a timeout.

I still haven't made up my mind about KF. But I'm willing to wait until the season is over.
Glad the decision isn't mine to make.

I don't post very often, but at my age, when something really bothers me, I feel the need to preach to the inexperienced and naive whether it's my kids, my co-workers or fellow Hawkeye fans...to share my 50 years of wisdom, trials and tribulations so that others may learn without the same amount of pain that I've endured...My Hawkeye football memories go back pre-Hayden to the days of Frank Laterbur and Bob Commings. Memories of winless seasons....memories of the times when Iowa State was more relevant than Iowa...

As 2012 unfolds, it seems more and more fans are lining up to jump on the Fire Ferentz bandwagon. It reminds me of the same sort of posse that lined up to lynch Tom Davis when his contract was non-renewed after the 1998-99 basketball season. What followed was some of the worst basketball in Hawkeye history and unfortunate tenures of Steve Alford and Todd Lickliter. The Hawkeyes have only recently landed what appears to be a credible basketball coach with an improving and exciting program. What remains to be seen is that whether we can return to respectibility in the Big Ten and possibly the national scene. Even if the Hawkeyes can regain a nationally respected system, what certainty is there that Coach Fran will stay at Iowa and not move on to another school that has more tradition or cash. If Coach Fran is successful, you can bet he'll get about a dozen offers a day that will come with more storied traditions or more money and prestige.

1. Coach Davis completed 13 seasons at Iowa beginning in 1986-87 and finished in 1998 -99. Coach Ferentz completed 13 seasons last year starting in fall after Coach Davis left 1999-2000. This year is his 14th season.

2. Coach Davis' teams highest Big Ten finish was a tie for second in 96-97, but went to the NCAA tournament 9 different seasons, the NIT once and only twice did not appear in the postseason. Coach Ferentz' teams highest Big Ten finish was a tie for first in 2002 and 2004. They've been to bowl games 10 of the 13 seasons.

3. Both coaches are men of integrity, compassion and lifelong commitments to the University of Iowa. Coach Davis handled his departure with class and has always maintained an outstanding relationship with the University.

While Coach Ferentz has had several offers to leave, he's remained loyal to the Hawkeyes, Iowa City and his family. While many fans complain about his salary, it seems apparent that the University of Iowa and the athletic donors have been willing to pay him to ensure his continued employment rather than lose him to another college or pro team. I'm sure everyone of those people complaining about his salary would fight to the death for the opportunity to extract the maximum salary that their employer would be willing to pay them.

I personally believe, that while I'm disappointed in the recent start, that I'll stand by Coach Ferentz as long as he'd like to coach at Iowa and I will not join the posse that wants him to be replaced.

John L Smith - Arkansas
Foge Fazio / Paul Hackett / Johnny Majors (again) / Walt Harris / Dave Wannstadt - Pittsburgh
Joe Paterno - Penn State

In summary, we are not Michigan, Notre Dame, Nebraska or Penn State --- but more like the University of Pittsburgh. The odds of picking the next best thing for Iowa Football are very long and difficult. The next big thing may very well come in and behave like Steve Alford and cripple our program for years in the same way our basketball program was crippled. If it happens at schools like Nebraska, Notre Dame and other gold plated programs, it hard to believe it's nothing more than a lottery ticket to pluck the next Coach Kirk from Maine or Coach Fran from Sienna.

I was excited to see Kirk make some coaching changes this year and I think we need to be patient. While the Iowa program is a good job, it's not Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State and anyone we hire will extract a similar salary and face the same hurdles that our current coaches face with fact that we can't offer some of the same luxuries, legal or otherwise that many of the blue ribbon programs offer.
Kirk's coaching tenure is kind of like my first marriage --- after 13 years, I was ready for a new wife. When it actually happened, it turned my life upside down and I still haven't recovered fully twelve years later. She left with my house, half of my money and I've never found a replacement that didn't come with more baggage that than the first one. --- Trust me...nothing good can come of this. That is all....

There is very little in common between the two. TD almost always beat "lesser" teams. It was the teams in the upper echelon that we couldn't ever seem to get over the hump against (hence the "next level" talk). KF has never shown the ability to beat the teams he is supposed to beat with any consistency. TD was a fiery coach who often would get after his players (especially early in his career...he softened following the death of Street), but almost to a man, his players considered him sort of a father figure. KF has rarely been animated and, while respected by his players, has never had that close relationship with them that he is described as a warm coach or a father-type figure. Davis is the winningest coach in Hawkeye history. KF will not be. Most of Davis' issues were largely out of his control. The death of Chris Street, the ruling of Ray Thompson being ineligible even though he was eligible by NCAA standards, etc. KF's issues have been self-inflicted by his ultra-conservative style and lack of imagination.

Oh, and to all the old-timers out there.....the 1970's are gone and are never coming back. This is a new era of college football. It is no longer a regional sport. It is no longer funded on shoestring budgets. We have the Top 15 athletic department revenues in the country, some of the best facilities in the country, a solid conference affiliation and some of the best fans in all of college football. We will have no problem attracting the best and brightest when it comes time to find a new coach.

For every Rich Rod, there is an Urban Meyer for Ron Zook.
For every Bill Callahan at Nebraska, there is a Lou Holtz for Gerry Faust at Notre Dame
For every John L Smith at Arkansas there is a Nick Saban for Gerry DiNardo at LSU

You can't spend your whole life living in fear of change or living with the mentality that "we're just little ol' Iowa". In terms of funding, facilities, conference affiliation, and fans we are a Big Boy. It's time our fans, especially the older ones, started acting like it.

This is a program on a steep decline. I too am in my 50's and have seen a lot. Why so many are ok with the current downhill spiral that this program is on is maddening. You don't get better by standing pat. Yes, sometimes new coaching hires are mistakes but it is important to at least want to try and be better. The Alford hire looked like it would pay great dividends at the time. Who knew Stevie was such a dick. But at least we made an attempt to raise our national profile. The Lickliter hire was beyond a head scratcher. Did anyone actually think this would have a good ending. The odds are that by the time Kirk retires in 2016 (my prediction) this program will be a former shadow of itself. We can only hope that we will have a new AD by then who will at least want us to be more than just competitive. I have great respect and appreciation for Ferentz but the odds of us having a winning big ten season during the rest of his tenure is not good. It should never be acceptable for Iowa to consistently lose to Minnesota, Iowa State and Northwestern, let alone the occasional MAC schools. We can do better. I hope Kirk will do the right thing and retire before 2016 but I'm not optimistic.

Last edited:

Grand slam.. Sums things up beautifully. Well done!!

This is a program on a steep decline. I too am in my 50's and have seen a lot. Why so many are ok with the current downhill spiral that this program is on is maddening. You don't get better by standing pat. Yes, sometimes new coaching hires are mistakes but it is important to at least want to try and be better. The Alford hire looked like it would pay great dividends at the time. Who knew Stevie was such a dick. But at least we made an attempt to raise our national profile. The Lickliter hire was beyond a head scratcher. Did anyone actually think this would have a good ending. The odds are that by the time Kirk retires in 2016 (my prediction) this program will be a former shadow of itself. We can only hope that we will have a new AD by then who will at least want us to be more than just competitive. I have great respect and appreciation for Ferentz but the odds of us having a winning big ten season during the rest of his tenure is not good. It should never be acceptable for Iowa to consistently lose to Minnesota, Iowa State and Northwestern, let alone the occasional MAC schools. We can do better. I hope Kirk will do the right thing and retire before 2016 but I'm not optimistic.

This is pretty much how I feel. I don't see much hope with the program in its current state. The Ferentz defenders point to the youth and inexperience on the roster. That's all well and good if the youth and inexperience is full of 4 and 5 star recruits, but it's not. The youth on our roster isn't much more talented, if more talented at all, then what we are currently trotting out there each week. I wouldn't be complaining nearly as much about this season if I knew that next season and the season after would be better, but right now I just don't see things with the program getting any better. That's where my frustration lies.

SayberHawk, loesshillshawk....very good posts. I would agree with everything that Sayber said except throwing Frank Solich's name in there. He was 58-19 in six years at Nebraska. Unfortunately, you can't lose three games a year at Nebraska and expect to keep your job. I also disagree about the Bill Snyder comment by loesshillshawk. Snyder did an amazing job at KSU, but a big part of that job was to keep filling the roster with JUCO players. That meant constant depth problems, and after a year or two, he was back to the well again. That is not a cycle that you want to get into.

John L Smith - Arkansas
Joe Paterno - Penn State

Good post. I was one of those who wanted Mr. Davis out,and I was dead wrong. BB is easier to rebound from a dip,also. Football programs that get down take years to turn around. We have a man at the helm who has taken us to success. I honestly think that there is zero serious contemplation of removing KF anytime soon in the administrative offices at Iowa. We might have a losing season...it happens,but it will take a series of losing seasons to seriously consider buying out KF.

Losing seasons stink,but sometimes a fanbase might need a cold slap back to reality. Iowa is the single worst football producing state for any BCS school ,including Nebraska with two BCS schools to split the talent up....get real,gang.

KF can frustrate us all,but that is the nature of sport....roll with it.

Everyone always talks about how KF is such a classy and honorable guy. I am not saying he isn't. However, given the fact that he has been made rich beyond his wildest dreams by the University and for the last 3 years has certainly not delivered by any stretch of the imagination, wouldn't the "classy and honorable" thing be to either (1) resign or (2) refuse his salary? Neither will ever happen. You know why? B/C KF and his agent are not stupid. They are not going to make that poor of a business decision based upon being "classy"", etc. Thus, in my opinion, if this thing gets really nasty and you have people booing him in the stands, countless articles written, etc., so be it. He will have brought it on himself.

"You can't spend your whole life living in fear of change or living with the mentality that "we're just little ol' Iowa". In terms of funding, facilities, conference affiliation, and fans we are a Big Boy."

Agreed.

Latest posts