Kirk Bohls says Mike Stoops is considering OSU, Neb & Iowa

I don't know about that...

The guy is the whipping boy for every Iowa fan's ire for the last decade. As a state employee, my guess is that he has a pretty nice pension plan at a rate pretty close to his salary?

The guy never made FU money, but probably did well enough over the past 14 years to put some cash away, and if he has a nice pension, he can ride out being a retired guy.

He is 58 years old, the window to go be the head guy somewhere is probably closing and if it is the end for Norm, maybe he is thinking that the timing seems to work here?

I'm sure we'll see him next year though - maybe as Defensive Coordinator?

If this is Norm's final game, I hope that we can get Stoops on as our DC. We need that fire and intensity.

Iowa needs a DC with fire and intensity... And a DC with schemes that are able to handle today's offenses - that are finally in the B1G.

Last edited:
... If this is Norm's final game, I hope that we can get Stoops on as our DC. We need that fire and intensity.
Iowa needs a DC with fire and intensity... And a DC with schemes that are able to handle today's offenses - that are finally in the B1G.

This ...after OSU's move to Meyer I think Iowa will be the last to be running a full blown pro style while everyone else is moving towards spread variations.

The Stoops' family may be from Youngstown, Ohio like Pelini but make no mistake, they are Hawkeyes through and through. Mark, Mike, and Bob all played here, under Hayden with Kirk on the staff. Bob said when his two sons are old enough, they will be playing at Iowa, he also said he would never coach against them, unless in a bowl game. Their father is buried in a Hawkeye jersey, or so I've heard.

My point is; that family has stronger Hawkeye roots and ties than most of us, and they would all love the opportunity to coach here. Especially with their old coach, Kirk Ferentz.

Mike would be a great addition to this staff, because I'm willing to bet good money he has been an Iowa Hawkeye since before he can remember. Someone who truly loves and cares about our program is a great hire.

I never heard about the KOK part, but the Norm part I have from a VERY reliable source. Feel free to call me a troll or a liar but this person is my friend and told me on the DL, not like you would know this person anyway but this individual is connected.

Maybe Stoops has been seen on a "scooter" in IC on multiple occasions....

This ...after OSU's move to Meyer I think Iowa will be the last to be running a full blown pro style while everyone else is moving towards spread variations.
What version of the spread to Wisconsin and MSU run?

MSU will throw in the wildcat a couple of times and trick plays to spread the field. I lump the wildcat in with spread. Wisky is in the shotgun alot and likes to spread the field with Wilson.

I never heard about the KOK part, but the Norm part I have from a VERY reliable source. Feel free to call me a troll or a liar but this person is my friend and told me on the DL, not like you would know this person anyway but this individual is connected.

Maybe Stoops has been seen on a "scooter" in IC on multiple occasions....

Damn, when you said you heard the same things as DP5555, I thought you meant KOK. If two of you heard it, I was inclined to get optomistic! Actually, I don't think our "problem" is KOK. I think it's our conservative captain.

I sort of hated M Stoops on the sidelines at Arizona. I could be swayed into being excited about having him as a DC here. Not sure he'd want to share the stage with LF at OSU. Having him at Nebby would suck for us.

every article i am reading says OSU has met and offered to him. pelini / stoops family friends and Stoops says he would be very interested in Nebby. all the Iowa talk is speculation. we'll sit on our lorals and **** this opportunity away. just watch.

#Arizona QB commit Nathan Sudfeld will be taking his official visit to Tucson this weekend. #Arkansas, #USC and now #Iowa involved.
Coincidence? I think not!!

I can't see Stoops fitting in with KF or Iowa. The guy may be a great D coordinator, but he is a lunatic. If he washed out in Tijuana North aka Tucson, not sure he will fit here. Norm is truly an icon on par with Hayden for what he has meant to this program.

I can't seem to find anything on it, but in 1984 I remember Mike Stoops laying the hardest hit ever in front of the visiting bench in Kinnick. I looked for some info or video and couldn't locate much, but I did find this gem with a hard nosed play (at about 5:55 mark) by #41 Mike Stoops vs Illinois. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoS1nJMbMD4]1984 Illinois at Iowa Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

I can't see Stoops fitting in with KF or Iowa. The guy may be a great D coordinator, but he is a lunatic. If he washed out in Tijuana North aka Tucson, not sure he will fit here. Norm is truly an icon on par with Hayden for what he has meant to this program.

I just don't see KF wanting such a demonstrative coach on the sidelines. When have we seen that during the KF era? Just would look and feel odd and don't believe KF wants any part of it. He would either be upstaged or would have to continually reign in Stoops. Now Stoops and Pelini would be like WWF tag team partners.

I don't care if Norm took a voluntary pay cut. It is pretty incredible to me that the HC is making around 20x the salary of the guy who by far is most responsible for the HC's success. I do hope KF has been finding other ways to reward Norm.

every article i am reading says OSU has met and offered to him. pelini / stoops family friends and Stoops says he would be very interested in Nebby. all the Iowa talk is speculation. we'll sit on our lorals and **** this opportunity away. just watch.

Is Iowa talk speculation :), i guess we will see. I'll say it again maybe he has been spotted on a moped in IC on afew different occasions, just sayin... Its like poker, you don't show everyone at your table your hand. I believe Iowa is very well involved and not just sitting by watching.

i want to know the name of the poster who came out a few weeks back and said it was a done deal, (under the table obviously). Have him string out the rest of the B1G and come to Iowa Mike!! Let them all court you, but come on home where you can be coach for life!

By Hiring Stoops, it gives us the Angle on the PAC-12 now. By hiring him it shows we are, theoretically, taking the next step!

I just don't see KF wanting such a demonstrative coach on the sidelines. When have we seen that during the KF era? Just would look and feel odd and don't believe KF wants any part of it. He would either be upstaged or would have to continually reign in Stoops. Now Stoops and Pelini would be like WWF tag team partners.I don't care if Norm took a voluntary pay cut. It is pretty incredible to me that the HC is making around 20x the salary of the guy who by far is most responsible for the HC's success. I do hope KF has been finding other ways to reward Norm.

Has Stoops always been this animated? Or did he become more animated when he had the extra pressure to wins ball games bc he was the head coach? Maybe being only DC will settle him down a bit ... probably not, but worth a shot.

Coach K gets pretty animated and seems to get along w KF. Phil Parker used to be pretty animated, not as much anymore.

Coach K and Parker are not on same level as Stoops, but they not laid back either.

I hope we get Stoops, but feel going to be tough to beat out OSU and Neb

colorado - stoops recovered a fumble at the 5:55 mark you reference - some one else did the heavy lifting that resulted in the ball being put on the turf....

I just don't see KF wanting such a demonstrative coach on the sidelines. When have we seen that during the KF era? Just would look and feel odd and don't believe KF wants any part of it. He would either be upstaged or would have to continually reign in Stoops. Now Stoops and Pelini would be like WWF tag team partners.

I don't care if Norm took a voluntary pay cut. It is pretty incredible to me that the HC is making around 20x the salary of the guy who by far is most responsible for the HC's success. I do hope KF has been finding other ways to reward Norm.

same can be said about Fry. not that he made 20x the dc as salaries weren't as out of hand then. but for as much praise as Fry got for being offensive minded, the mainstay over his 20 years was Brashier's defense. And his best teams had coincidentally his best defenses.

Latest posts