Kipers Rankings: Seniors only

PatrickAdamovicz

Mel has Ricky Stanzi as the 2nd best QB among Senior's behind Jake Locker. I don't understand the Locker love at all.

Also has Clayborn as the 2nd best DE among Senior's behind Kerrigan from Purdue. He has Clayborn at number 15 overall on his board.

Ballard is listed as the 4th best DT for senior's.

Donahue is rated as the 2nd best Punter as well.

For non-seniors, Mel doesn't have a Hawkeye listed in his top 5 for any position. So that means that McNutt, Sash and Prater aren't listed by him.

He does have one Cyclone, Kelechi Osemele the big left tackle, ranked at 5th among non-seniors at the tackle position.

So where would that put ricky for overall draft position??? maybe 3rd round or so?

So does everyone here agree that Stanzi is basically a lock to get drafted? I've got a $60 bet with my friend riding on it... my friend says Stanzi won't get drafted, I say he will.

I wonder how much money Kiper is getting from Stanzi's agent? Stanzi will probably never take a snap from center in the NFL outside of pre-season and practice.

Ricky Stanzi stats

12th best passer rating in 2010
31st highest completion % in 2010
27th most yards thrown in 2010
15th most yard per attempt in 2010
21st most TDs thrown in 2010

Do those statistically make it look like he is the 2nd best Sr QB in 2010? We've watched him play for 2 1/2 yrs now and he looks great, almost surreal, at times but he also throws pick 6s like they are candy and makes some of the dumbest mistakes when the O is in the red zone.

He certainly has improved statistically over the past 3 seasons but if you look at the losses that we had in 2010 and compare his passer rating to the games we won you will notice a huge variance. He simply doesn't play smart enough to be successful at the next level.

hawkeye12345, you make some valid points, but even if Stanzi doesn't play in the NFL he is going to get paid and be a good ambassador for the University of Iowa as he has been for the last few years.

Also, he is going to get paid even if he spends a few years on the practice rosters and then hangs up his cleats. Look at these stats.

2010 Draft
3rd Round - 85th Pick - Colt McCoy - 4 yr - 5 mil - 1.07 mil guaranteed
4th Round - 122nd Pick - Mike Kafka - 4 yr - 2.256 mil - 0.467 mil guaranteed
5th Round - 155th Pick - John Skelton - 4 yr - 1.972 mil - 0.182 mil guaranteed
5th Round - 168th Pick - Jonathan Crompton - 4 yr - 2.675 mil - 0.151 mil guaranteed

2009 Draft
4th Round - 101st Pick - Stephen McGee - 4 yr - 2.282 mil - 0.532 mil guaranteed
5th Round - 151st Pick - Rhett Bomar - 4 yr - 1.935 mil - 0.185 mil guaranteed
5th Round - 171st Pick - Nate Davis - 4 yr - undisclosed - 0.150 mil guaranteed

So Stanzi will get $150 K plus from the draft, have a shot to make a team as the 3rd QB and will always have a nice paying job from an Iowa alum when he leaves the NFL.

In my personal opinion, Stanzi is comparable to Kafka, Skelton and McGee as good QBs who need some work but have a chance to make it at the NFL level.

I wonder how much money Kiper is getting from Stanzi's agent? Stanzi will probably never take a snap from center in the NFL outside of pre-season and practice.

I'll take that bet, I've seen quarterbacks with far worse skill set than Ricky make an NFL roster.

Ricky Stanzi stats

12th best passer rating in 2010
31st highest completion % in 2010
27th most yards thrown in 2010
15th most yard per attempt in 2010
21st most TDs thrown in 2010

Do those statistically make it look like he is the 2nd best Sr QB in 2010? We've watched him play for 2 1/2 yrs now and he looks great, almost surreal, at times but he also throws pick 6s like they are candy and makes some of the dumbest mistakes when the O is in the red zone.

He certainly has improved statistically over the past 3 seasons but if you look at the losses that we had in 2010 and compare his passer rating to the games we won you will notice a huge variance. He simply doesn't play smart enough to be successful at the next level.

I'm guessing the pro scouts are looking more at Rick's potential than they are his stats. Whether Rick is a life-long back-up or not is yet to be determined. He runs well (better than most give him credit for) and has a decent arm. He seems like a film rat, so I'm guessing he'll say all the right things as well.

Kind of a stupid remark. Whether he was a world beater at Iowa or not he has above average potential. I would take that bet in a heartbeat given that Tebow is now starting for Denver. With great coaching, Ricky could do very well. He has the size and the experience against good competition. Nice comment though on your part.

Kind of a stupid remark. Whether he was a world beater at Iowa or not he has above average potential. I would take that bet in a heartbeat given that Tebow is now starting for Denver. With great coaching, Ricky could do very well. He has the size and the experience against good competition. Nice comment though on your part.

Jesus Christ take off the homer glasses sometime people. Comparing Stanzi to Tebow is like comparing Albert Young to Reggie Bush. One is a heisman trophy winner and the other is an undrafted free agent barely holding down a roster spot.

I'm not a hater on Stanzi but I've watched him now play for 2+ yrs and he does not have NFL talent. It's not like Kiper hasn't been in the papers for taking money from agents in order to pimp their players and improve their draft selection.

First Team All-Big10 Dan Persa
Second Team All-Big 10 Scott Tolzien

If the kid can't even get 1st or 2nd team in the Big10, where are all of these accolades coming from?

Ricky is an NFL QB. He has all the skills necessary. No one in their wildest minds thought Tom Brady was any type of NFL QB. Go look at Brady's numbers from his senior year at Michigan. Not saying that is going to be Ricky, but the point is that you never know, but the fact that he has all the measurables is a big plus.

Jesus Christ take off the homer glasses sometime people. Comparing Stanzi to Tebow is like comparing Albert Young to Reggie Bush. One is a heisman trophy winner and the other is an undrafted free agent barely holding down a roster spot.

I'm not a hater on Stanzi but I've watched him now play for 2+ yrs and he does not have NFL talent. It's not like Kiper hasn't been in the papers for taking money from agents in order to pimp their players and improve their draft selection.

Did Jim Sorgi (career backup at Wisconsin) have NFL talent? Not really. He wasn't even that good in college and he had a decent NFL run as (mainly) a backup. There is no way in hell you have any idea how decent Ricky will be in the NFL. He's got the arm, the build and the athletic ability.

Ricky is an NFL QB. He has all the skills necessary. No one in their wildest minds thought Tom Brady was any type of NFL QB. Go look at Brady's numbers from his senior year at Michigan. Not saying that is going to be Ricky, but the point is that you never know, but the fact that he has all the measurables is a big plus.

Again, you people are trying to compare an apple with a flippin cardboard box. Brady scored a 33 on the wonderlic. He was a smart kid playing behind future NFL draft pick Brian Griese and battling with Drew Henson for PT. He eventually beat out Henson (drafted by the Texans and played MLB) and started his final two years.

So lets see.....Brady learned from an excellent coach and had NFL caliber QBs surrounding him while Stanzi was coached by KOK and had the likes of Jake Christensen and Marvin McNutt competing for PT.

Not the same.

Jim Sorgi

Every Bear quarterback after Jim McMahon and before Cutler.

Drew Stanton.....Might be a couple of other recent ex-MSU qb(s) floating around on NFL rosters.

Chad Pennington has made a decent career barely being able to throw the ball 30 yards.