Kinnick gameday music changing. Marketing consultant hired

HawkinGoferLand

Iowa football will sound different at Kinnick Stadium this year, and it’s not just because of its $1 million sound system.
This off-season Iowa hired a consultant, Graystone Media, to provide guidance on in-stadium entertainment. The company works primarily with NFL and other college football programs and advises everything from music selection to video imagery and graphic

The school won’t shed its famous team introduction that begins with AC/DC’s “Back in Blackâ€￾ and concludes with a video montage and “Enter Sandman.â€￾

Read more at http://thegazette.com/subject/sport...aborate-on-music-20140828#uWVmLxJlJVljE7sP.99

I really look forward to seeing the players walk through the tunnel with Back in Black rocking. My kids love it too as does Carl Davis:

“It sends chills down your spine every time. It starts playing in the weight room ... and it gets a little bit closer to game day when that song comes on,” Davis said. “We’re really looking forward to it.” But the song has become such a staple to him that he wouldn’t want the intro to change.

Everyone please stand, join hands and join in and sing along...

don't forget to follow the bouncing ball!

[video=youtube;oNuX7bs2qAM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNuX7bs2qAM[/video]

They need to forcibly deny the geriatrics tickets, who sit on their hands at the game to keep the Buick's at home and their Depends on the Davenport. That is the problem. When I use to go with my Dad back in the 90's these old bastards who sat behind always bitched like the old hags they are for us standing up when Tim Dwight would be back for a punt return. Mind you these were in the west stands, 22 rows up on the northside of the 50 yard line, yard marker 46.

"Ultimately, the consultant relayed to Iowa that music can add or detract from a game-day experience."

Who knew? Wow .... that'll be $20,000 dolla ...

Iowa football will sound different at Kinnick Stadium this year, and it’s not just because of its $1 million sound system.
This off-season Iowa hired a consultant, Graystone Media, to provide guidance on in-stadium entertainment. The company works primarily with NFL and other college football programs and advises everything from music selection to video imagery and graphic

The school won’t shed its famous team introduction that begins with AC/DC’s “Back in Blackâ€￾ and concludes with a video montage and “Enter Sandman.â€￾

Read more at http://thegazette.com/subject/sport...aborate-on-music-20140828#uWVmLxJlJVljE7sP.99

About time. Looking forward to hearing the changes this weekend. Go Hawks!

"Ultimately, the consultant relayed to Iowa that music can add or detract from a game-day experience."

Who knew? Wow .... that'll be $20,000 dolla ...

Typical experience with any consultant in any industry. They tell the obvious to mgmt, which their underlings have been telling them forever.

My personal opinion is a lot of stadiums have a problem with the entire game being scripted. I have covered a lot of games and it is frustrating to see the defense sack a quarterback at the 1 yd line, the crowd goes crazy chanting DEFENSE, the opposing coach calls timeout, and the fans quiet to watch some stupid sponsored spot where you have to pull out your ticket to win a free piece of pizza.

Remember when you were younger. Some of the best parties, some of the best nights were ones that just happened. I think sometimes we overthink things. It's good to have a plan, but it is even better to be smart enough to know when the plan should change

I understand you have to sell advertising to make the almighty dollar. But try to not sell every dead ball, and allow a more organic, more dynamic experience to take place. Think outside the box and go off ******. It might surprise everyone.

I'm sorry . From Iowa . Love Iowa. Hawk for life. AC/DC Back in Black makes everyone from around the nation think that we are a cross between Beevis and Butthead, and Joe Dirt! Just sayin!!

They need to forcibly deny the geriatrics tickets, who sit on their hands at the game to keep the Buick's at home and their Depends on the Davenport. That is the problem. When I use to go with my Dad back in the 90's these old bastards who sat behind always bitched like the old hags they are for us standing up when Tim Dwight would be back for a punt return. Mind you these were in the west stands, 22 rows up on the northside of the 50 yard line, yard marker 46.

I have news for ya HM, the problem ain't the "geriatrics". Kinnick was largely dominated by old loyal season ticket holders when I was a student...and the place was nuts. They've always been a big part of the fan base, and most importantly the financial base. The problem is not them.

It's the wishy-washy fans who jumped on board during the hot seasons...and now decide whether or not to be a "fan" based on which team is on the visitor sidelines...or whether the Hawks have lost 2-3 games by late October. It's also the "fans" under 30 with the attention span of a house fly that can't focus their energy on one thing...especially a live, organic, analog thing... for more than 10-15 minutes. (WHAT?! no cell phone reception, Twitter, etc, OMG!!!) So they don't show up. The IOWA band has also become very weak. Watch a few other games on TV this weekend and notice the role the band plays...constant energy. The Hawkeye Marching Band is now directed by it's version of Todd Lickliter. Take it from someone who knows. And perhaps mostly...it's the fact that the East Bank PC crowd has gradually (and successfully) chipped away at the atmosphere on Melrose and around Kinnick over the last 15 years. Add all that up...and you have your answer.

I was in the stands a lot in the 80s when it was crazy as hell. And there were plenty of alums with gray hair. Every big time program has 'em...they pay the bills. That ain't the problem.

Last edited:
I'm sorry . From Iowa . Love Iowa. Hawk for life. AC/DC Back in Black makes everyone from around the nation think that we are a cross between Beevis and Butthead, and Joe Dirt! Just sayin!!

First of all...no one from "around the country" knows or cares what we walk in to. Second...everyone else likes it, so shut your pie hole.

More "Glory Days", and less "Bringin' on the Heartache"! A little "Thunderstruck", and a whole boatload of Santana's "Winning" mixed in with "In Heaven There is No Beer"!! 2 thumbs up for "doing something" with the music and 3 thumbs up for keeping Back in Black and Enter Sandman!

Since I'm 47 may be one of those geriatrics. Ive been going to almost every home game for the last 32 years. 1985 against Mich game still stands out as the loudest craziest game day experience and the place was full of geriatrics. Kinnick has always had its fair share of 60+ folks. They sure weren't quiet that days.

Since I'm 47 may be one of those geriatrics. Ive been going to almost every home game for the last 32 years. 1985 against Mich game still stands out as the loudest craziest game day experience and the place was full of geriatrics. Kinnick has always had its fair share of 60+ folks. They sure weren't quiet that days.

So what are you suggesting is the cause of the more tepid Kinnick experience these days? The product on the field?

Latest posts