Kinnick cell phone coverage

Verizon data is hit or miss for me most times. I don't use it for texting. I just use it to get updates on other scores. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I do remember a few years ago for the Ohio State night game (or was it Michigan?), Verizon and ATT brought in mobile towers to handle the extra capacity. I don't remember it helping all that much though.

ATT coverage in Iowa City is horrible. Anytime I travel there I want to go to US Cellular and get a pre-paid phone to use while I'm there. Last time I was there I was sitting at the Sanctuary and watch the signal meter on my phone go from 4 bars of G+ down to one bar, to 4 bars of E, before dropping down to 1 bar of E. All of this happened while not moving from my barstool.

I doubt getting signal is a problem, its most likely network congestion. having 120,000 people in the span of 4 blocks tends to do that to a network. Unfortunately it probably wont get better until the 4g services are launched.

I should say thats the problem with Verizon anyway, as I always have signal, just can get any traffic through.

I have US Cellular and it works great. I listen to the game live on WHO through an app while the game is going to keep up with stats and player changes and never had any problems last year.

Had the same problem with Verizon last week at the Knoxville Nationals (approx. 20, 000) fans on Wed. and Thurs. but by Friday the problem had been fixed and my Droid worked fine. Don't know what was done to fix the problem but it must not have been to difficult to fix that quickly.
I have sprint and my EVO worked perfectly fine on Thursday and Saturday of the Knoxville races. I guess I chalk it up to the possibility that majority of the people who go to those races do not have cell phones :)

I have Verizon and it usually never works. Last year at the Penn State game I was trying to send pictures of the crowd to my friends and only 1 text made it out and that was early in the game. I tried to send about 5 or 6 pictures and all but the one failed.

Thanks for all the responses.

Here are the reasons I would like coverage:

1. ideally, to have a box score open that I can refresh for game stats. it drives me nuts that I'm at the game and have much less knowledge of the game stats than the people at home.

2. grandma is watching the kids and the wife would prefer to have phone capabilities.

Are you f'ing kidding? This makes me think that you haven't actually been to a game.

The team total stats are always available and are constantly updated. Individual stats are routinely displayed on the big scoreboard.

Seriously, have you been to a game before?

Last edited:
No one has US cell or T-Mobile lmao that's why they work. I'm guessing like 40k of the fans in Kinnick has Verizon.

US cell is quite widespread in the state of Iowa.
THere is no comparison to the voice quality of US Cell

My daughters Iphone is ATT and the internet on it is way faster than any other phone.
My co-worker has verizon and the internet is exactly the same speed as US cel.

I have an iPhone with AT&T. When I'm at Kinnick, I get zero coverage and I may as well have a brick in my pocket.

Does anyone else have a smartphone that they are able to use at Kinnick? From what carrier?

Thanks.

Funny I was there on saturday for Kids day and i had 4 bars in the concourse and 5 bars in the stadium. On a AT&T andriod phone

Funny I was there on saturday for Kids day and i had 4 bars in the concourse and 5 bars in the stadium. On a AT&T andriod phone

That's because it was Kid's Day and there wasn't tens of thousands of people trying to use the mobile network. It's not a coverage issue within Kinnick, it's a capacity issue on game day.

Yes, alot of people have US cell but more have Verizon. I didn't have a problem before with US at all but I got tired of having to choose from the phones every other company had up for sale a year earlier.

That's because it was Kid's Day and there wasn't tens of thousands of people trying to use the mobile network. It's not a coverage issue within Kinnick, it's a capacity issue on game day.

This. If I walk about a mile from the stadium after the game, I get all sorts of text and phone messages. I'm sure I'm hitting a different tower by then.

Are you f'ing kidding? This makes me think that you haven't actually been to a game.

The team total stats are always available and are constantly updated. Individual stats are routinely displayed on the big scoreboard.

Seriously, have you been to a game before?

Since the start of the 2001 season, I have missed two home games. How about you, mr. internet tough guy?

You are delusional if you claim total team stats are "always available" and individual stats are "routinely displayed".

Verizon is launching 4g LTE which allows a crazy amount of bandwidth which will eliminate the problem. Should have it by first kickoff most likely.

Latest posts