KF's B10 Media Day

The problem is Kirk's answer is every writer would already know what it would be.

That's true but that's never slowed em down before. You would think with an entire off season of time the media would have had more questions and relevant topics to discuss.

That said I don't think that hurts KFs feelings one little bit.

That's true but that's never slowed em down before. You would think with an entire off season of time the media would have had more questions and relevant topics to discuss.

His master plan is working. Before long he wont even have to talk to them. Don't under estimate Kirk's craftiness.

I'm, glad it played out this way. Did it hurt his feelings, probably not. Will it be noted, probably so.

In 1990 coming off a 5-6 year Coach Fry and Jim Johnson (DT) had similar experiences(I can't remember who else we took as a player, it might have been Nick Bell, or Rob Baxley).

The only positive or interesting, and certainly prophetic comment came from the MC, who was the one and only Keith Jackson. He said something about each team, and when it came to the Hawks he said, and this is pretty much verbatim, "there isn't a lot of talk about Iowa here today. Well, I know one thing, you better strap your chinstrap on tight when you line up against a Hayden Fry team. They are a proud buch. They have been too good for too long, and if opponents have the short memories, they’ll get slobber knocked right out of the stadium. '

As camp opened there were nightly meetings. At one Jim and Hayden passionately shared their Chicago experience, the slights, that we were picked 8th, (wisky and NW were picked 9 and 10) and that no one thinks we'll be worth a damn. What happened, Iowa beat Michigan, a MSU Perles Team, and a top 5 Illinois team all on the way to Pasadena.

Will Iowa replicate that this year? No one knows and we'll find out as it unfolds.

However, I believe there was some wisdom in Keith Jackson's words, and some parallels... people are sleeping on the Hawks, people have short memories, and one things that Iowa will certainly be is very physical, very angry, and very resolved…..and I believe a much tougher out than most suspect.

Didn't get the chance to watch it, but what I'm gathering from the comments, there was a lot of prolonged silence from the press.

To Ferentz, that's the perfect press conference. So, maybe going 4-8 has its unintended benefits.

The problem is Kirk's answer is every writer would already know what it would be.

Guys have been working hard........hard working bunch........long ways to go........playing hard........great bunch of hard working guys.

8 minutes on the mic, what an epic joke, that's were Hawkeye football is at, even the Gopher's Jerry Kill was asked more questions. Kfed didn't get a single question about the QB battle or the 3 LBs that return. Unreal.

Speaking of Jerry Kill, last year there were more questions about his health than there were about his team.

You guys act like he was the only one it happened to. The media in that room was awful. I watched the Gary Andersen bit and there were several points where the conference almost ended because no one would ask a question. Same thing with Dantonio. I'm sure some of it is the demeanor of the coach as the two I mentioned and KF are all pretty low-key guys who rarely give noteworthy interviews.

Plus it's pretty well known that no one is expecting anything special out of Iowa this season. No one except Hawknick. He's about the only person I've seen who's expecting big things. You combine that with the fact KF is a boring interview and this is what you get. Shouldn't be a big surprise. Of course the haters are gonna run with it.

It is pretty miserable reporting when they didn't even manage to ask about the QB situation... In the end who really cares. It's about as important as the cup size of the cheerleaders on the sidelines.

<<It's about as important as the cup size of the cheerleaders on the sidelines>>

Uh, that's VERY important. For the girl cheerleaders, that is.

I'm, glad it played out this way. Did it hurt his feelings, probably not. Will it be noted, probably so.

In 1990 coming off a 5-6 year Coach Fry and Jim Johnson (DT) had similar experiences(I can't remember who else we took as a player, it might have been Nick Bell, or Rob Baxley).

The only positive or interesting, and certainly prophetic comment came from the MC, who was the one and only Keith Jackson. He said something about each team, and when it came to the Hawks he said, and this is pretty much verbatim, "there isn't a lot of talk about Iowa here today. Well, I know one thing, you better strap your chinstrap on tight when you line up against a Hayden Fry team. They are a proud buch. They have been too good for too long, and if opponents have the short memories, they’ll get slobber knocked right out of the stadium. '

As camp opened there were nightly meetings. At one Jim and Hayden passionately shared their Chicago experience, the slights, that we were picked 8th, (wisky and NW were picked 9 and 10) and that no one thinks we'll be worth a damn. What happened, Iowa beat Michigan, a MSU Perles Team, and a top 5 Illinois team all on the way to Pasadena.

Will Iowa replicate that this year? No one knows and we'll find out as it unfolds.

However, I believe there was some wisdom in Keith Jackson's words, and some parallels... people are sleeping on the Hawks, people have short memories, and one things that Iowa will certainly be is very physical, very angry, and very resolved…..and I believe a much tougher out than most suspect.

Where is Jim Johnson these days? When he was in Orlando he came to the picnic and all the game watches. Great guy.

The press had a bunch of questions ready. Then right before the presser an announcement was made that said KF would not address the Aaron Hernandez situation. That pretty much killed everyone's prepared questions.

So then they just tried to come up with questions based on what they know about the returning Iowa players...crickets.

Wow...are they blaming KF for the Aaron Hernandez thing too? Did he chew the gum first or something? I love the way the KF Haters somehow equate unprepared media to somehow being a reflection on Iowa Football in general. If you are doing your job...there are a ton of story lines and guess what, they should be prepared and have no out like, it's Iowa, who cares. That's freaking ridiculous. Do your job, know what the issues, are and put the man on the spot. In that setting...KF can't just deflect everything. Strap on a pair of balls and put him on the spot...it's a big money machine at Iowa and he's running it...he should be open game. I get why the regular beat writers at Iowa don't challenge him...but the Big Ten media can and they should. GD, QB situation, new coaches, there are a ton of things to get questions out there. Lame arse media types if you ask me.

Really not a big deal. KF pressers often leave as many questions as answers. He learned the Belichick who is the king at saying very little. Just the way he rolls. Anybody expecting insight for Kirk's time is fooling themselves. The reporters could have asked questions for an hour and it wouldn't have changed how info was actually given.

IIRC his appearance was at 1:30 p.m. Did the media pigs have time to feed at the trough before then? If so, after a long morning of meetings and coach appearances, the energy level could have been flagging a bit. Still, unfortunate no one asked about the QB situation.

The press had a bunch of questions ready. Then right before the presser an announcement was made that said KF would not address the Aaron Hernandez situation. That pretty much killed everyone's prepared questions.

So then they just tried to come up with questions based on what they know about the returning Iowa players...crickets.

Ok, that explains it. When I heard about the lack of questions I immediately wondered why nobody asked him about Hernandez. Probably a good thing nothing was asked about that on a national stage. I'm sure Ferentz was very pleased not having to comment on that.

That said, it's pretty lazy of the media to look at a B1G team that had one of the worst offenses last year and has a 3 way qb competition coming into this season and not ask a single question about it. Especially the the B1G network guys. What else do they have to do but cover B1G teams? Probably more of a work conference for them where they're looking to duck out as soon as possible and start hitting the sauce.

he has a knack for saying nothing and even a great knack for ensuring his answers do not elicit further questions.

I totally agree that the onus is on the reporters to be knowledgeable enough about Iowa football to have questions for Ferentz. I just thought it odd that they had plenty of questions for Kill and O'Brien who proceeded Kirk. It was just a very uncomfortable situation.

The world at large has been making its statement about where they see KFz and Iowa football. And rightfully so.

Perhaps it's time some of us wearing the black and gold goggles...took em off and opened our eyes as well.

The world at large has been making its statement about where they see KFz and Iowa football. And rightfully so.

Perhaps it's time some of us wearing the black and gold goggles...took em off and opened our eyes as well.

I think we are slowly starting to see this happen now. Of course I don't wear black and gold glasses so I don't identify with about 3/4 of hawkeye nation.

Point being, I have a friend who actually does wear black and gold underwear. He's heard me complain about kf over the past few years and he does his best to put me in my place each time I do. Something has changed with him this year. The few times I've asked him how the hawks with do this year, he says something like this, "I have not been this pessimistic about the hawks for at least 10 years.". He has them picked to go 4-8.

I predict that if this is a bad year, kf will still have the majority of the hawk fan base on his side, but it won't be 75% like it is now. And I totally believe that kf is banking on 2014 to be a very good year.

FreedComanche

Latest posts