KF's B10 Media Day

I totally agree that the onus is on the reporters to be knowledgeable enough about Iowa football to have questions for Ferentz. I just thought it odd that they had plenty of questions for Kill and O'Brien who proceeded Kirk. It was just a very uncomfortable situation.

Mostly those would be Iowa reporters.

1) Not that many of them attended.
2) Iowa media have been well-trained by the Iowa coaches and SIDs office to be passive in their questioning. Don't want to lose access to the coaches and cushy press row seats for games, after all.

Settle down folks. Don't go looking for a hanging tree just yet.

First, Kirk will spend 90 minutes at a table tomorrow. The media gets him the entire time in a better setting. What you see on TV the first day is just that; made for TV. If a best writer has a few good questions he is going to ask them tomorrow where he can get plenty of time for follow ups and have an actual conversation. In that big room setting you might get one.

So that's one of the reasons why few things of substance will ever come through on the first day, podium interviews. It's like why the On the Sides have always new way better than the main pressers

Miler and Brinson were talking about this today and stated how disrespected Kirk was and shows how nationally perceived Iowa football is and apathetic. Told listeners to get ready for a long season.

Then when asked about Paul Rhoads presser last week and how he had a bunch of questions asked, they said it shows the interest in Iowa State and charisma of Rhoads. They said shows how much excitement is shown for Iowa State and apparently they are convinced that will lead to an 8-4 record!!!

What a bunch of crap.

Miler and Brinson were talking about this today and stated how disrespected Kirk was and shows how nationally perceived Iowa football is and apathetic. Told listeners to get ready for a long season.

Then when asked about Paul Rhoads presser last week and how he had a bunch of questions asked, they said it shows the interest in Iowa State and charisma of Rhoads. They said shows how much excitement is shown for Iowa State and apparently they are convinced that will lead to an 8-4 record!!!

What a bunch of crap.

Interesting correlation. More questions = More wins. Sounds scientific (or the tortured reasoning of the local radio personalities).

What a bunch of crap.

Given my experience at Ferentz pressers in general, and at events like this, I would not make such a leap. As I said, most of the beat guys are going to ask the angles they have in a more intimate setting, where there is chance for engagement from five feet away and no hinderance to follow up questions...the room Kirk was in yesterday is huge...a ballroom...with seating for over 500. Today, if they do things as they have in the past. Kirk and each one of the coaches and players available will be seated at circular tables with their names on them..surrounded by 15 chairs. Kirk's table usually starts out with all the Iowa guys. The past few years, I've just put a recorder down at Kirk's table and let it roll the entire 90 minutes. Two years ago I just decided to stay at his table the entire time.

You just get a much better chance to ask anything in that setting..actually, it's the best setting all year to do such a thing.

Also, Kirk's presser was the end of the day and after 11 other coaches had finished...and it's not like Iowa has a lot of national storylines right about now.

This is a tempest in a teapot here.

Latest posts