KF Sideline Meltdown

bitmap

We really wondered what had KF so worked up on the sideline. I figured maybe it was a cheap shot on one of the players like the last trip to Lincoln.

I recorded the game so I watched that sequence again.

Turns out the line judge missed an illegal touch. The TE (#11) that caught the pass for the first down was covered by a WR on the LOS. The WR was out of position and that made the TE an ineligible receiver.

Later I heard that this was the same officiating crew that was in Madison last week. A bad call there lost the game for the Badgers. I don't think this fact was lost on KF.

So what you had on display there was a rookie level officiating mistake and then the dissing of the greatest developer of offensive linemen and tight ends in our time. Even though their wireless mics didn't work for much of the game, you could hear one of the refs saying "I warned him twice" through the other official's mic just before he announced the penalty.

Kirk Ferentz is who he is. Had the WR lined up a step back I'm sure KF would have said, if asked about it, "That's football". Say what you will about him this year - one thing is for certain - he is invested in his team.

https://youtu.be/S6Xsb7QTelU

They got a big pass play on a formation where the eventual receiver (the tight end) was covered on the LOS by the slot receiver. He was asked about it in the postgame and he said something like, "we had a disagreement about how they lined up". The replay, though, showed it was a brutal call.

I've seen "So Prowd" got 100X more bizerk on the sidelines without getting a flag......That was a bullsh!t flag by the official. Boo freaking hoo, KF threw his stocking cap, no way that deserves a 15 yard penalty.

Ah, c'mon.

19284727-standard.jpg

rhoadsfinalsmaller.gif

rhoadsrockinfinal.gif

It likely goes back to the "trust your eyes" comment by the coaches a couple weeks ago.

The formation would indicate that that man isn't going out for a pass... but yet then he was illegally allowed to.

Then to top if off Kirk throws his stocking cap... and somehow that is a 15 yard penalty.

Amateur hour.

That's the Kirk I've always wanted to see. He needs a little Franimaniac in him.

he's like that often. he just doesn't go pelini so the cameras don't focus on it. and if you pick your spots - then the refs will tend to listen - if you are like pelini or paw - that reaction just goes unnoticed.

early in his career at iowa, only coach i've ever seen get the refs to pick up a flag and change their call - not once, but twice.

he was correct about the non-call - let to a big play - he should not have been penalized for throwing his hat.

We really wondered what had KF so worked up on the sideline. I figured maybe it was a cheap shot on one of the players like the last trip to Lincoln.

Turns out the line judge missed an illegal touch. The TE (#11) that caught the pass for the first down was covered by a WR on the LOS. The WR was out of position and that made the TE an ineligible receiver.

Later I heard that this was the same officiating crew that was in Madison last week. A bad call there lost the game for the Badgers. I don't think this fact was lost on KF.

So what you had on display there was a rookie level officiating mistake and then the dissing of the greatest developer of offensive linemen and tight ends in our time. Even though their wireless mics didn't work for much of the game, you could hear one of the refs saying "I warned him twice" through the other official's mic just before he announced the penalty.

Kirk Ferentz is who he is. Had the WR lined up a step back I'm sure KF would have said, if asked about it, "That's football". Say what you will about him this year - one thing is for certain - he is invested in his team.

If he lined up legally he would have been covered by a backer. Maybe it still would have been completed, but he wouldn't have been ignored

No way at this level should that every be missed.. Fact!!

The warning was sufficient for the line judge to pile on over a hat toss was ridiculous.

If he lined up legally he would have been covered by a backer. Maybe it still would have been completed, but he wouldn't have been ignored

THIS!

The no-call was incredibly unfair to the defense. KF saw it right away.

Also, how do you get an unsportsmanlike penalty for throwing a soft, fluffy cotton stocking cap? I'm guessing that someone's mother was insulted as well...

Weird that a guy known for not going nuts would get a flag so quickly. They hadn't even finished announcing the sideline warning when the flag came out.

I like it when Kirk gets worked up. Fires up the boyz. BTW, in 2015 Iowa has generally benefited from the officiating more than being victimized by it. Yesterday was no different.

IIRC, Iowa had a touchdown pass to Scott Chandler negated on a similar play in the 2006 Alamo Bowl, which the Hawks went on to lose 26-24 to Texass.

Latest posts