KF running program into ground.

The true fans aren't fussed by what's happened in the past, it's what is going to happen in the future that matters. Football really mirrors life in that regard.

004ACP_Philip_Seymour_Hoffman_018.jpg

100% true. And it may justifiably get him fired. But, we are talking about Ferentz's tenure at Iowa right, not just cherry picking the bad stuff?[/QUOTE]

Ferentz is 8 games over .500 in B10 games career. He's not nearly as bad as many on here say he is but his record speaks for itself. A solid, slightly above average B10 coach. Nothing more, nothing less.

He does have 2 co-championships but in neither season, or in his 2nd BCS game season, did he even field the best team in the conference.

2 BCS games, many top 10 final rankings, multiple big ten championships (2?). yes, we all want more of these. yes, the program is terrible now as an on the field product. If he continues to lose, he should be fired. But Kirk Ferentz's record speaks for itself. Perspective, folks.

6 out of the last 8 years - 7 regular season wins or fewer. The guy is an average coach. We can get an average coach almost anywhere.

Where did he get out coached today? Name one instance please? All I heard was the last offensive play. Like JVB had all day to find a receiver. It wasn't a bad play, we just needed to get him the ball downfiled. He couldn't, and didn't make a move, and it was a good open field tackle by Purdue.

While there are time I questions his coaching, the players just didn't execute today. The injury of the two O Linemen spelled the end of our season. It wouldn't have mattered even if we had Weisman today.

Where did he get out coached today? Name one instance please? All I heard was the last offensive play. Like JVB had all day to find a receiver. It wasn't a bad play, we just needed to get him the ball downfiled. He couldn't, and didn't make a move, and it was a good open field tackle by Purdue.

While there are time I questions his coaching, the players just didn't execute today. The injury of the two O Linemen spelled the end of our season. It wouldn't have mattered even if we had Weisman today.

Well, Kurt said he got outcoached today, so that's one.

And I think we win with Weisman today.

Well, Kurt said he got outcoached today, so that's one.

And I think we win with Weisman today.

Kirk did say he got out coached today. He also said we lost the game in the first half. I'm not sure Weisman would have made a difference though, our O Line is horrible with the new guys.

I just start paying attention to the younger players. When Cotton drops a pass, I realize he is a frosh. When Keenan drops a ball, I pray that this leaves, right along with KoK and NP.

Kirk did say he got out coached today. He also said we lost the game in the first half. I'm not sure Weisman would have made a difference though, our O Line is horrible with the new guys.

I just start paying attention to the younger players. When Cotton drops a pass, I realize he is a frosh. When Keenan drops a ball, I pray that this leaves, right along with KoK and NP.

Our problem in the first half was failing to convert multiple times on 3rd and short. We also got the ball inside the 5 in the 2nd half and failed to score a TD. I think a healthy Weitman changes that.

Yes, let's continue to hold onto the past. Bottomline is the program is headed in the wrong direction. To reference what Kirk did three years ago means nothing today. Do you think your boss would care if you told him or her that "Hey, I had a great year three years ago ..." ... Sorry does not fly. Not in today's world. Not with the money involved and the expectations. Fans expect more and they should. We are now a mediocre football team in the Big 10. That is a reason for concern.

Cycle:
2001: Ascension
2002-04: explosion
2005: disappointment
2006: regression
2007: implosion
2008: ascension
2009: explosion
2010: disappointment
2011: regression
2012: implosion

Without starting a new thread, I'd like to ask Jon Miller this: I know you say that this year's and next year's senior classes have been decimated by players leaving early, getting kicked out, etc...but, you also say that those same classes were ranked at or near the bottom of the Big Ten for that particular year. My question, even if those bottom-ranked classes were still intact, how much of a difference would it really be making? In theory, if they were a bottom-ranked class, would they be that good anyway? Doesn't that mean the recruiting/coaching is to be held accountable?

Yes, let's continue to hold onto the past. Bottomline is the program is headed in the wrong direction. To reference what Kirk did three years ago means nothing today. Do you think your boss would care if you told him or her that "Hey, I had a great year three years ago ..." ... Sorry does not fly. Not in today's world. Not with the money involved and the expectations. Fans expect more and they should. We are now a mediocre football team in the Big 10. That is a reason for concern.

THIS. RIGHT ON THE MONEY HERE Des MoinesHawki. Well said.

I am soooooo tired of this.

Let's just use your premise. If the players aren't "executing" on a regular basis who is responsible for that?

1. The coaches should take a real hard look at themselves and ask if the best players are on the field, and are they putting those players in the best position to succeed, and

2. They need to correct whatever problem is leading to a lack of execution.

For example, how many times must James Morris take himself out of the play leading to a wide open middle?
Is that what you teach a middle linebacker? To leave the middle wide open?

How many times did the color guy today criticize JVB? Too many to count. He was rushing every thing. Horrible footwork, very antsy in the pocket. I would suspect it is not all his fault as something very wrong has happened since last year. (2011 after 10 games - 23 TD passes. This year - 5). But if it is still happening 10 games into the season then you are either failing as a coach to help him correct this, or you are failing as a coach not to make a substitution.

I don't see how people are still defending this staff. We have a losing record with a pitifully easy schedule.

With our facilities, coaching salary, and great fan base, Iowa does not need to settle for being a "second tier" program.

It doesn't matter. Kirk won't get fired, won't get hired anywhere else and won't resign. His buyout is $22 million. He could go 0-12 and it wouldn't matter. The fact is he is here until 2020. Need to let the freshmen develop and coordinators get feet wet. Iowa is a lower tier Big Ten team, Kirk exceeded that for a few seasons. This season is what Iowa is.

Or a mid-level MAC team at best.

I'm also tired of the "didn't execute" excuse. I watched the 4th and 3 play at the end of the game today. HE EXECUTED! He caught the damn ball! That is the definition of executing!

Why didn't someone COACH him to run a route that goes beyond the first down sticks? THAT IS COACHING!

Kurt always says that the Iowa program is "not sexy".

Well right now, his coaching and season record are "not sexy"

Latest posts