KF Responds to Ed Cunningham Comments

He just wanted his QB to go out on his own terms.

So how many other players get to make personnel decisions? Should we get rid of our coaches and put a trained monkey on the sideline dressed in a Hawkeye cheerleader outfit and let the players vote on who the starters will be and which players need to rotate in & out of the game?

8595ede6f6acbb8e39eaf395c3fd088a--andy-williams-iowa-hawkeyes.jpg

CJB is an insane competitor and why we luv him. But the HC has an allegiance to the team first, and to the team's future second. Individual needs factor in way down the list. At some point in that blowout loss you have to play for the future.

And now for a 65 minute rant on Bearkiller in 2012 with a Juco AA; Prepstar AA plus 2 future NFL QBs sitting on the bench. This whole, "I have to obey the wishes of my QB even though I am the HC" nonsense has givin us the McCann/Banks controversy - the JC/Stanzi controversy - the Bearkiller controversy - the Rudock/CJB controversy. ENUFF! You're paid like a HC to make the tough calls Kirk, now MAKE THEM!!!!

Last edited:
I think KF should have pulled C.J. But this is football. Someone mentioned the B. Leftwich game. Phillip Rivers played a playoff game with a torn ACL. Jack Youngblood played in the Super Bowl with a broken leg.

KF didn't make the decision maliciously without regard to C.J. He just wanted his QB to go out on his own terms.
As was engrained into my head as a child... Two wrongs or multiple wrongs don't make a right... I don't think KF maliciously does anything to intentionally hurt a kid either. Football isn't a game for pansies don't get me wrong. There's a fine line there to a point. But what went on with CJ most would say along with other examples you listed there as well was just too far over it.

The only time it's a jerk move is when you leave an injured player in because you care more about the win than you do about the player. That wasn't the case here. In fact, we probably had a slightly better chance to win with Stanley than we did with Beathard.

I was a little annoyed he left him in at the time because a coach should put winning over loyalty and in this case Kirk gave any small chance of winning away to be loyal to a player in his last game. I was over it the next day.

It was terrible to leave him in a useless game that was a blow out loss when you knew you had a QB competition coming up the next season.

Thats great he was cleared. But unless CJ could throw a 27 point pass, he doenst need to be in there.

Did CJ get pulled when Penn State ran over us? I don't recall Stanley going into that one when the ending was not in question. Why did no one complain as loudly then?

Multiple issues are getting mixed up here

1) was there long term health issues that could have made CJ's hamstring injury worse by keeping CJ in the game?

2) could the fact that CJ could not run have exposed him to more potential hits and additional injuries?

3) why was CJ left in the game when it was obvious he was hurting Iowa's chances to score by remaining in the game.

4) why was CJ left in the game once it was obvious Iowa had no chance to win the game?

Not sure KF really addressed any of these questions but I guess KF does not really have to since these decisions did not screw up CJ or Iowa in the long run. No harm. No problem.

So how many other players get to make personnel decisions? Should we get rid of our coaches and put a trained monkey on the sideline dressed in a Hawkeye cheerleader outfit and let the players vote on who the starters will be and which players need to rotate in & out of the game?

8595ede6f6acbb8e39eaf395c3fd088a--andy-williams-iowa-hawkeyes.jpg

CJB is an insane competitor and why we luv him. But the HC has an allegiance to the team first, and to the team's future second. Individual needs factor in way down the list. At some point in that blowout loss you have to play for the future.

And now for a 65 minute rant on Bearkiller in 2012 with a Juco AA; Prepstar AA plus 2 future NFL QBs sitting on the bench. This whole, "I have to obey the wishes of my QB even though I am the HC" nonsense has givin us the McCann/Banks controversy - the JC/Stanzi controversy - the Bearkiller controversy - the Rudock/CJB controversy. ENUFF! You're paid like a HC to make the tough calls Kirk, now MAKE THEM!!!!

I agree with most of this post. But to answer your question, a select few on every team get to make the decision, and CJ was one of the ones on that team that could.

As far as this thread goes, it's more about whether Kirk screwed up and left an injured player in too long because he risked further injury. It sounds like you (and me) think he screwed up because he chose to help one player over helping the whole team. That's kinda a different topic really.

In the context of this OP, I don't think Kirk was wrong. In the context of your post, I think he was.

Did CJ get pulled when Penn State ran over us? I don't recall Stanley going into that one when the ending was not in question. Why did no one complain as loudly then?

I think I did.
KF needs to change his policy.
Why was Wadley in at the end of the Wyoming game?
There are plenty of guys that need to see game time. And we have opportunities to get them in.
I dont get it.

Anyone who has ever played football at the HS level or beyond knows the diff between playing with pain and unable to play. Often a coach will jump in and help the player make the tough call to not go back in, but I never saw nor heard of any coach forcing a clearly injured player to get back in the game against the player's wishes.
Especially in today's world where everything is on video for the whole world to see and the hyper-sense of awareness these days towards concussions.

Multiple issues are getting mixed up here

1) was there long term health issues that could have made CJ's hamstring injury worse by keeping CJ in the game?

2) could the fact that CJ could not run have exposed him to more potential hits and additional injuries?

3) why was CJ left in the game when it was obvious he was hurting Iowa's chances to score by remaining in the game.

4) why was CJ left in the game once it was obvious Iowa had no chance to win the game?

Not sure KF really addressed any of these questions but I guess KF does not really have to since these decisions did not screw up CJ or Iowa in the long run. No harm. No problem.

Issue conflation is not a barrier to internet discussion. Agree with your points.

Cunningham was projecting what could have happened, but didn't. It sounds like Kirk was dealing with the medical condition at hand, which did not present itself as further injury to that existing medical condition. The "what if" to CJB, i.e., his lack of mobility could have led to a different injury, did not appear to be addressed or fully contemplated (but that's conjecture on my part). I suppose in light of the Rhabdo incident, the UI Football program is more acutely aware of issues concerning the health of the players, and perhaps more prickly when someone questions their sensitivity to a player's health. I will give the benefit of the doubt to the staff that they were acting in good faith, and not believing they were putting CJB's future at risk.

In that sense, both have points to make. No harm, no foul, but maybe also a bit of the dodging of the bullet, too. From my expert seat, on my couch, it seemed like he should have come out, for no other reason than to give Stanley some more game experience in a game Iowa had no chance to win (but also because it appeared that CJB was moving with all the nimbleness of a tortoise in the middle of the desert in August).

Jane, don't you and Tracy have something better to do than post on Hawkeye Nation?
Babe, I thought we agreed not to do this in public???

And next you PM me pics make sure you finish the manscaping. I know those man boobs are hard to see under but you have a mirror.

-------He played the CYA, scapegoat card when he used "medically cleared" as a bullshit excuse.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
100% dead nutz on point

I am the first one to yell "rub some dirt on it" when someone gets hurt that I really want to see stay in the game....but last years game even made a pr*** like me say "this is PAINFUL to watch and VERY wrong!!!"

Ferentz is full of shit here. He played the CYA, scapegoat card when he used "medically cleared" as a bullshit excuse. Ed McCaffery was "medically cleared" before he broke his leg on tv but he didn't keep playing after it happened. And don't whine about those not being the same circumstances. Beathard was visibly hurt, walking around like he was just in a car accident.

I'm not a strict Ferentz hater but he's dead wrong.

So CJ Beathard was so badly hurt in that January bowl game that there's no way he could possibly have shined at the combine in March and had an NFL team trade up to take him in the 3rd round in April.

Right?

Disagree here. A pulled hammy doesn't necessarily mean, as a QB, he can't compete. Hell, I remember the Marshall game where Leftwich's olinemen were carrying him after every completion because he literally couldn't walk to get to the next huddle. Or games where QBs competed with a bum, even separated, non-throwing shoulder. He wasn't concussed and he was a senior that had earned the capital necessary to go out like he wanted to.

I didn't hear you or anyone else complaining during the undefeated run in 2015 when CJ was competing with a sports hernia.

It's football, injuries happen. As long as we're not talking about a head injury, let him stay in and compete....

Well, uh, the point is that kirk left CJ in even after our assess were fully whipped and CJ was obviously injured. So, you know, there's that.

So CJ Beathard was so badly hurt in that January bowl game that there's no way he could possibly have shined at the combine in March and had an NFL team trade up to take him in the 3rd round in April.

Right?

Do you know who wasn't obviously injured, at a point in the game where we'd already been fully kicked in the teeth? Our backup qb's. They weren't injured.

Do you know who wasn't obviously injured, at a point in the game where we'd already been fully kicked in the teeth? Our backup qb's. They weren't injured.

Beathard was the starter. He earned the right to stay in if healthy. He coulda pulled himself out at any point.

Hell UCLA came back down 34 to Texas A&M on Saturday. Was Iowa going to do that? Of course not. But athletes aren't wired to just give up

Beathard was the starter. He earned the right to stay in if healthy. He coulda pulled himself out at any point.

Hell UCLA came back down 34 to Texas A&M on Saturday. Was Iowa going to do that? Of course not. But athletes aren't wired to just give up

And a coach can say "you're injured, and I don't want to risk you getting injured worse. Thank you for your dedication and I respect what you've done for our program. I want to give the young guys a chance in a bowl game so they can use this experience to help the team next season".

If KF pulls him out and he doesn't finish the game, I think cj's stock for the draft takes a hit. That's what I think and suspect both cj and KF must've considered this possibility even though it won't get a mention.

Latest posts