KF Regrets Last Week's Comments About Deuce Hogan

Yes, that was a terrible lapse of word choices out of coach. I could not believe it when I heard it. Glad he is apologizing.

Ferentz said Tuesday “in retrospect” he wouldn’t have made that comment after Friday’s game.

“Probably would’ve been more appropriate if I said our third quarterback instead of naming his name,” Ferentz said Tuesday. “I’m not real comfortable with any third quarterback being in the game until they get to work as a one or two.”

I’m normally a fan of Kirk Ferentz, but that was a stupid thing to say. All he had to say was the third and fourth quarterbacks were running the practices. I also thought he was a little disrespectful to Charley Jones. News flash! Jones has done a lot for this team.

Boy, came off much worse than I originally thought after reading it.

Yep, Kirk is not a jokester and funny guy like Fry was. Kirk was trying, he says, to put a little tongue in cheek levity into a sort of bad situation with this top two qbs out with a virus.

Fry would have spun some deep, rural west Texas 'sayin' into this answer and had everyone laughing.

I’m normally a fan of Kirk Ferentz, but that was a stupid thing to say. All he had to say was the third and fourth quarterbacks were running the practices. I also thought he was a little disrespectful to Charley Jones. News flash! Jones has done a lot for this team.
When was that quote and what was it? I think I might have sort of noticed it but not sure if it is the same thing.

Much ado about nothing.

Can’t have 4 QBs anyway, best of luck to Hogan, and people need to quit being such fucking snowflakes about jokes. If someone can’t handle a joke like that they have a huge surprise coming at them when they get into the real world.
Although that may be true, Ferentz still needs to act like a professional and be mindful of what he says....especially with everything that has went down with this program as of late. But, he is acting like a professional here apologizing.

If it turned out we really needed Hogan for the Nebraska game and that was said, just not a great look out of coach.

Agree, at the end of the day, it will be water under the bridge.

I believe it was just after the Illinois game. Sort of alluded to the fact that Jones didn’t fit in very well when he arrived. Not a big deal, but I don’t remember him making those types of comments in the past.

No duece on the loose. Rats. Doubt he left because of that comment. Wish him best of luck. But worried about our lack of development with qbs. Great year but looking at next years schedule we have to have better qb play. And that starts w O coordinator and qb coach. Go hawks

I believe it was just after the Illinois game. Sort of alluded to the fact that Jones didn’t fit in very well when he arrived. Not a big deal, but I don’t remember him making those types of comments in the past.

Yeah, I sort of remember those comments and they sounded odd from Kirk. But I know he was trying to say something like "jones didnt know our system, we didnt know what we had, but he has added a lot'

We have all heard Kirk "speak" at halftimes and postgames and on Tuesday pressers and he can be nebulous at best sometimes.

We really need to recruit a QB. Drop back, preferred. Mobile, borderline dual threat, yeah for sure. Tough get. Granted. Don’t get an explosive runner, with pass skills secondary. Too many injuries in the BT. See Martinez. What does the NFL want? Aaron Rogers, etc. Capable escape artist but pass first. Great vision. Packer coach has developed a run game to protect AR. Smart. Recruit two quality RB’s, like we have now. Packers coach uses exclusively zone read, BTW. Pay attention, Iowa fans. That is what we need to sell at Iowa. NFL bound.

Signed,

Capt. Obvious

We really need to recruit a QB. Drop back, preferred. Mobile, borderline dual threat, yeah for sure. Tough get. Granted. Don’t get an explosive runner, with pass skills secondary. Too many injuries in the BT. See Martinez. What does the NFL want? Aaron Rogers, etc. Capable escape artist but pass first. Great vision. Packer coach has developed a run game to protect AR. Smart. Recruit two quality RB’s, like we have now. Packers coach uses exclusively zone read, BTW. Pay attention, Iowa fans. That is what we need to sell at Iowa. NFL bound.

Signed,

Capt. Obvious
Plummer?

Did you notice Kirk did not take back his implication that Duece would have basically sucked if he was forced to play. Kirk back-pedaled saying any QB that is 3rd string would not be ready, but the damage is done. Kirk could have apologized by stating Duece would have done fine if forced into action on short notice but thats not what he said. If I was Duece, I would be p!ssed too.

Last edited:
Much ado about nothing.

Can’t have 4 QBs anyway, best of luck to Hogan, and people need to quit being such fucking snowflakes about jokes. If someone can’t handle a joke like that they have a huge surprise coming at them when they get into the real world.

Agreed. I understand the kid being butthurt because he's 19 or 20 and doesn't know shit, but I can tell the Cap'n had no malice in the statement.

Anyway, what worries me is that Bielema is probably already on the phone with this kid. I suspect he's decent and a major upgrade over what Illinois currently has. Fitz has probably reached out as well. I really don't want to have to face a guy like that, but if a guy is buried at Iowa he ain't getting a top tier P5 look.

Did you notice Kirk did not take back his implication that Duece would have basically sucked if he was forced to play. Kirk back-pedaled saying any QB that is 3rd string would not be ready, but the damage is done. Kirk could have apologized by stating Duece would have done fine if forced into action on short notice but thats not what he said. If I was Duece, I would be passed too.
Meh, whatever. I was in the stadium when a backup quarterback came in for Richard Stanzi against a mediocre Northwestern team and looked completely lost. And that was one of the best Iowa teams ever. There are reps associated with the number a guy is assigned and we learned on that fateful day that the 2 gets no reps with the 1 offense. Where does that leave the 3? I totally get what Kirk is saying. Until a kid has had time in the saddle as the 1 or 2, you don't want him under center in a conference road game unless you're up by 5 TDs and he's just in to hand the ball off.

Latest posts