KF on 1700 The Champ at 12pm today (now)

Executive summary, pls. Ktnx

Couldn't take the risk of falling asleep so didn't listen to him. :)

Hey, did anybody catch "Two guys named Jim" on who radio last night? Talk about two totally different analysis on the practice game. Pat Hardy and Ed Podolak were both on and Hardy had a very negative review of the Hawks, and he stressed Iowa has no explosive playmaker on offense and didn't have good things to say about the D either. Ed had a very different view of the game and said this year's team is so much improved from last year, said that Iowa will be able to run on anybody this year, and that the passing game as MUCH improved from last year with the qb's and the wr's more in sync.

I don't know what to believe.

FreedComanche

Hey, did anybody catch "Two guys named Jim" on who radio last night? Talk about two totally different analysis on the practice game. Pat Hardy and Ed Podolak were both on and Hardy had a very negative review of the Hawks, and he stressed Iowa has no explosive playmaker on offense and didn't have good things to say about the D either. Ed had a very different view of the game and said this year's team is so much improved from last year, said that Iowa will be able to run on anybody this year, and that the passing game as MUCH improved from last year with the qb's and the wr's more in sync.

FreedComanche

I would lean towards the biased guy who has known nothing but football his entire life (Podolak). You still have to take it with a grain of salt though because Ed is as biased as they come.

Harty doesn't know jackshit tho. It's funny that his tweets on Saturday were almost all positive, but then you report that the very next day he had nothing positive to say about them. He works for the Register. That's all I need to know.

FreedComanche
Podolak also said before last year that Vandenberg was the best QB he'd seen at Iowa since Chuck Long and maybe even before. Who do I believe? hmmmmm

Pat Harty is the big ******* moron sportwriter in the world. If he had nothing but negatives to say about the football team, I expect them to be pretty good.

Not sure how Harty could come away from that game with those impressions. Maybe you could come away not being willing to predict how they would do,but most objective observers were encouraged. Do we have Ronnie Harmon on the team? Ok,maybe not, but there were a number of big plays against an Iowa defense designed to eliminate big plays.

He likes the way all 3 QBs are competing and fall practice will determine a starter. But he also noted 1987 when 3 QBs were even going into the season and Chuck Hartleib took control after the bullets started to fly. He has no regrets at giving Vandy every snap last year, especially after the PSU game.

Canzeri has had his 2 best practices on 4/20 and 4/27, consecutive Saturdays. He then brought up the "internet legend" angle but is unsure what that means.

He said he is glad Blake Haluska is on the FB team, especially since his brother wasted time playing BB.

When it was suggested he start using twitter, he said he would be sure to put that on his To Do list right away.

He is happy with the East/West divisions and believes ISU will continue on the schedule every year.

He basically came across in good spirits, which hopefully is a good sign.

FreedComanche

The truth is probably somewhere in between.

Not sure how Harty could come away from that game with those impressions. Maybe you could come away not being willing to predict how they would do,but most objective observers were encouraged. Do we have Ronnie Harmon on the team? Ok,maybe not, but there were a number of big plays against an Iowa defense designed to eliminate big plays.

Is Pat a little more negative on the team than I would be? Probably.

But, who on the Iowa offense would you list as a legitimate threat to be an explosive play maker? I think that's a fair point. Weisman has the most potential to be "the guy" but is a long way from being a sure thing. QB's are unknown and WR's are also an unknown.

I'd lean towards NOT leaning towards a writer. My wife is a writer, and knows enough about Iowa to write a piece just by listening to me! Ed knows football... Actually in retrospect, if she's listening to me about Iowa, maybe she doesn't know squat either way......I feel we surprise. 8-4/9-3....I am a homer though

Is Pat a little more negative on the team than I would be? Probably.

But, who on the Iowa offense would you list as a legitimate threat to be an explosive play maker?
I think all 3 QB's have potential to have more explosive scramble runs when protection breaks down, in comparison to JVB. Canzieri has the potential for explosive plays. At WR,... gotta hope Powell brings something to the table.

With how bad we were last year both could be correct. We could be a lot better but still suck.

Ed P. also said that the hawks will have one of the best O lines in the country. I wouldn't doubt they'll have one of the best in the big ten this year.

FreedComanche

Sorry, but any defense with Lowdermilk and Miller at safety and no outside pass rush is not "designed to eliminate big plays."

I would lean towards believing Podalak rather than Harty, who doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground. Podolak may be a homer but he knows football.

After having some time away from last year's situation, seeing the practices, and cooling off, I can see the why behind the decisions Kirk made this year and I have a lot more hope for the season. I think its pretty clear that Campbell wasn't a good fit with the new offense. If there's one thing that gives me hope - its that the WRs are making the sight adjusts and reads within the offense correctly now. They are also starting to play faster, and you're also seeing some competition - spots are starting to fill in a bit with Riley McCarron, Cameron Wilson, Kevonte Martin Manley, Jordan Cotton, and Hillyer all stood out to me in a good way with the practices and scrimmage at various points. In short - the offense practiced well - that hasn't happened all that much in the other KF practices I've watched. Its a positive sign for sure. For example, Weinke always was a trainwreck in practice.

There's also some positives, some negatives with the defense. I don't expect them to be the 04 or 09 Juggernauts. But there's a long time between now and the season, and we didn't see close to the final product. However, good lord we need some defensive ends, stat. Here's to hoping Riley McMinn, Drew Ott, Dom Alvis, and Ekakitie start to figure it out. The rest of the D will be ok. Good, even.

I would lean towards believing Podalak rather than Harty, who doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground. Podolak may be a homer but he knows football.

After having some time away from last year's situation, seeing the practices, and cooling off, I can see the why behind the decisions Kirk made this year and I have a lot more hope for the season. I think its pretty clear that Campbell wasn't a good fit with the new offense. If there's one thing that gives me hope - its that the WRs are making the sight adjusts and reads within the offense correctly now. They are also starting to play faster, and you're also seeing some competition - spots are starting to fill in a bit with Riley McCarron, Cameron Wilson, Kevonte Martin Manley, Jordan Cotton, and Hillyer all stood out to me in a good way with the practices and scrimmage at various points. In short - the offense practiced well - that hasn't happened all that much in the other KF practices I've watched. Its a positive sign for sure. For example, Weinke always was a trainwreck in practice.

There's also some positives, some negatives with the defense. I don't expect them to be the 04 or 09 Juggernauts. But there's a long time between now and the season, and we didn't see close to the final product. However, good lord we need some defensive ends, stat. Here's to hoping Riley McMinn, Drew Ott, Dom Alvis, and Ekakitie start to figure it out. The rest of the D will be ok. Good, even.

Nice post. What I heard last year (before the OL injuries) was that this team was really close (if they could get the WR up to speed) to being pretty decent on the offensive side of the ball. I am hoping they get those issues figured out. The spring game kind of showed that the WR are light years ahead of last year, but it also showed they are still a ways away.

It seems you might have access to some practices, did/do you find this to be the case? I totally agree with the DE assessment. If we don't find some guys there, it could hamper the overall D in a big way.

Latest posts