KF Disbands Former-Player Advisory Committee

Love tommy boy!!! One of my all time favs. I guess what i meant to say is due to racism being brought to life in 2020 they can't sell there's not racism in the iowa program if racism still exists. No way. If there was still racism in the iowa program it would be known and magnified times 1000%.

The committee was created to appease people after the 2020 racism came to light. As soon as kirk got an extension and raise he desolves the committee then back tracks and says he's restructuring it. Best case scenario it was just an ignorant move worse case is it was a slap in the face.

I get the media's frustration with everyone being tight-lipped, but let's be honest. In today's environment who the heck would want to go on record saying anything? With the social media mob that exists now, anyone (whether favoring Porter or Ferentz) giving their opinion/account is going to get just completely excoriated by twitter posters, bloggers, you name it. Things aren't the way they were 10-15 years ago when you could be interviewed and not get completely trashed and canceled by the other side. Literally every viewpoint on every topic in every discussion these days has a liberal/conservative undertone to it, and people are so polarized to one side or the other, that if a person gives an honest answer and even leans just a thousandth of an inch to one side or the other they get absolutely nuked into oblivion by the other side. Everyone on twitter, or anyone reading an article has already made up his or her mind and won't change it, why give people any ammunition to cancel you.

Don't agree with David Porter? You're instantly a card-carrying member of the KKK who's hell bent on eliminating minorities from the earth.

Don't agree with KF? You're instantly a liberal communist who hates Iowa football and wants to burn the program to the ground along with anyone associated with it.

There's no middle ground and no one's changing his or her mind, so why put your self out there to get lambasted?

There's not even an attempt by either side to be understanding or open to the "other" side because the mob mentality of social media (and unfortunately media in general a lot of times) isn't looking for discourse, they're looking for something they can use to nail the other side to the wall.

Kirk can and should give his side. It's no skin off his back what is said on social media considering he doesn't have it. I find it hard to believe the U of I doesn't see the negative side of this in the media.

Kirk can and should give his side. It's no skin off his back what is said on social media considering he doesn't have it. I find it hard to believe the U of I doesn't see the negative side of this in the media.
What could he say other than what was in his letter to parents? Everyone following this story has made up his/her mind. To think otherwise is obtuse. Any other questions or statements are just fodder for Porter or KF supporters to attack the other side.

Media is like a bad reality show anymore. Instead of being informed, all anyone wants to see or hear is the next big train wreck that we criticize but can’t look away from.

Same goes for Porter. What could anyone ask him, and what answer could he give (aside from complete, 100% concession) that would make KF fans change their minds?

None. Zip. Nada.

So what the F is the point?

What could he say other than what was in his letter to parents? Everyone following this story has made up his/her mind. To think otherwise is obtuse. Any other questions or statements are just fodder for Porter or KF supporters to attack the other side.

Media is like a bad reality show anymore. Instead of being informed, all anyone wants to see or hear is the next big train wreck that we criticize but can’t look away from.

Same goes for Porter. What could anyone ask him, and what answer could he give (aside from complete, 100% concession) that would make KF fans change their minds?

None. Zip. Nada.

So what the F is the point?

Your tone in your question doesn't seem like you want an answer. Have a nice day.

Love tommy boy!!! One of my all time favs. I guess what i meant to say is due to racism being brought to life in 2020 they can't sell there's not racism in the iowa program if racism still exists. No way. If there was still racism in the iowa program it would be known and magnified times 1000%.

The committee was created to appease people after the 2020 racism came to light. As soon as kirk got an extension and raise he desolves the committee then back tracks and says he's restructuring it. Best case scenario it was just an ignorant move worse case is it was a slap in the face.
I do not agree w/ your whole "appease" statement. I would like to believe the best in KF and not the worst. Kirk has show way too many times throughout his career at Iowa just the kind of human being he is.

I do believe Kirk made a mistake in not firing Brian. However as a dad myself I would also want to fight and believe the best in my son should he get the privilege of working w/ me. But w/ that being said, in what occupation, what job, could someone say and or do the things Brian did and not get fired on the spot? IMO both brian and doyle should've been fired.

Your tone in your question doesn't seem like you want an answer. Have a nice day.
Ok then answer this...

What point is there from KF's perspective in answering questions that will be aimed at not getting an explanation or inviting civil discussion, but aimed at stirring the pot and causing twitter arguments and sensationalism? Especially when he explained himself in the letter?

Every question he or Porter would get would be rhetorical, my friend. That's not reporting, that's commentary.

Ok then answer this...

What point is there from KF's perspective in answering questions that will be aimed at not getting an explanation or inviting civil discussion, but aimed at stirring the pot and causing twitter arguments and sensationalism? Especially when he explained himself in the letter?

Every question he or Porter would get would be rhetorical, my friend. That's not reporting, that's commentary.
True

While Kirk may feel he has nothing to gain from a press conference on this issue, I think it's a missed opportunity for him to provide leadership on the topic. Why not offer some transparency? There are plenty of questions for which he could offer his basic thoughts, and still hold back by saying "those were raw conversations between myself and the committee, I promised to respect the privacy of all who were willing to participate so I can't really go into greater detail on that one. In broad terms, here is one thing I discovered about my own thinking....." Or whatever.

As for Barta, his disappearance is bewildering. Don't feel comfortable talking about DEI issues? If so, how can you be fit to serve in this role in 2022? Especially after having a couple years to bone up on the topic after a major crisis. Good god, man.

I get these might be uncomfortable press conferences and good fodder for critics, but so what? Both Barta and Kirk are highly paid, public facing ambassadors of a state university. At least show some transparency and effort. Why should the athletic department be trusted not to screw this up again?

I get the media's frustration with everyone being tight-lipped, but let's be honest. In today's environment who the heck would want to go on record saying anything? With the social media mob that exists now, anyone (whether favoring Porter or Ferentz) giving their opinion/account is going to get just completely excoriated by twitter posters, bloggers, you name it. Things aren't the way they were 10-15 years ago when you could be interviewed and not get completely trashed and canceled by the other side. Literally every viewpoint on every topic in every discussion these days has a liberal/conservative undertone to it, and people are so polarized to one side or the other, that if a person gives an honest answer and even leans just a thousandth of an inch to one side or the other they get absolutely nuked into oblivion by the other side. Everyone on twitter, or anyone reading an article has already made up his or her mind and won't change it, why give people any ammunition to cancel you?

Don't agree with David Porter? You're instantly a card-carrying member of the KKK who's hell bent on eliminating minorities from the earth.

Don't agree with KF? You're instantly a liberal communist who hates Iowa football and wants to burn the program to the ground along with anyone associated with it.

There's no middle ground and no one's changing his or her mind, so why put your self out there to get lambasted?

There's not even an attempt by either side to be understanding or open to the "other" side because the mob mentality of social media (and unfortunately media in general a lot of times) isn't looking for discourse, they're looking for something they can use to nail the other side to the wall.
I can't disagree with your premise. The loudest, most extreme opinions often drown out attempts at meaningful conversation. But that can't stop people from trying.

I have had some really good discussions with people, some involved in this story and some not this week. It's helped me better understand different viewpoints and peep back some more layers of the onion.

Unfortunately, the conversations are off the record. Former players would prefer to stay out of it publicly.

I think there are fair questions that should be asked of KF and his assistants about what happened. It won't change what happened, but it might help people learn and grow from the situation. The questions are going to be asked, so why not just get it out of the way in one news cycle instead of waiting and making it a story again next week or the week after or whenever?

We can't be driven my the angry mom on social media or elsewhere. It's a wonder that people buy pants with all of the talking they do out of their asses.

I can't disagree with your premise. The loudest, most extreme opinions often drown out attempts at meaningful conversation. But that can't stop people from trying.

I have had some really good discussions with people, some involved in this story and some not this week. It's helped me better understand different viewpoints and peep back some more layers of the onion.

Unfortunately, the conversations are off the record. Former players would prefer to stay out of it publicly.

I think there are fair questions that should be asked of KF and his assistants about what happened. It won't change what happened, but it might help people learn and grow from the situation. The questions are going to be asked, so why not just get it out of the way in one news cycle instead of waiting and making it a story again next week or the week after or whenever?

We can't be driven my the angry mom on social media or elsewhere. It's a wonder that people buy pants with all of the talking they do out of their asses.
Fair points all around.

I do think it’s telling about the state of our culture that no former players want to speak publicly. They are afraid of being canceled and I can’t say I blame them.

We’ve created a world where you have to pick a side, and toe the line with that group of people lest you get destroyed publicly. Or else.

The only other option is silence which unfortunately is the only way to preserve your personal sanity.

I'm not commenting on the column itself, which is labeled as commentary/opinion, but will say that just because people don't see outward racism doesn't mean it's not there. It's more than saying the N word or wearing a white sheet. There's unconscious bias, for one.

If you look back at the original report from the internal investigation that found racial bias, student-athletes said once they got into the Iowa program it was different than what they saw in recruiting.

It's a complicated issue that's been affecting this country for hundreds of years. Yes, it's a good sign that attrition rates are down and recruiting is going well, but that's far from the only measurement. This went on at Iowa for years, including when there was on-field success.

Lastly, as a reporter/journalist/columnist, it's extremely frustrating that nobody else on the committee is speaking publicly or that Kirk Ferentz hasn't held a press conference to answer questions. The writer in this piece and other journalists have reached out to Ferentz and Jordan Lomax. Neither will talk. Where the hell is Barta?

If they can counter Porter's points , do it. UI Athletics is a PR nightmare.
As bad as the PR team is at Iowa, their legal team is probably as good. At least enough to absolutely hammer home that no one - KF, Barta, BF... - should come anywhere close to talking about this issue while the lawsuit is in play.

You must put a lot of energy into ignoring the facts. Must be exhausting.

As bad as the PR team is at Iowa, their legal team is probably as good. At least enough to absolutely hammer home that no one - KF, Barta, BF... - should come anywhere close to talking about this issue while the lawsuit is in play.

No doubt. The move to break the Husch Blackwell investigation into one public report and then individual personnel files for the coaches was brilliant.

I would like to sneak into the office where those files are held, like Bluto Blutarsky searching Dean Wormer's office (minus the dead horse), and have a look.

No doubt. The move to break the Husch Blackwell investigation into one public report and then individual personnel files for the coaches was brilliant.

I would like to sneak into the office where those files are held, like Bluto Blutarsky searching Dean Wormer's office (minus the dead horse), and have a look.
If you are going to go, go big. Bring the horse.

This Jessie Wahington guy is a joke and an example of cancel culture at it's highest level. 9 out of 17 commitments for the 2022 class are BLACK. That's 53% of the class. These 9 iowa commits along w/ their parents according to him must be too naive and blind to not see all the racism so deeply imbedded in the iowa program. It seems to me this Jessie guy needs to do some responsible journalism and reach out to some recently graduated black hawkeye players and talk w/ him before writing a piece of crap article such as the one below. His opinion is what it is and he's entitle to it however he clearly didn't talk to anyone but porter to help form his opinion. For that his opinion is unwarranted, uneducated, and ignorant. He mentioned he reached out to J. lomax but that's it.

Kirk Ferentz’s dismissed diversity adviser is right: The Iowa coach should resign — The Undefeated
I know Washington and worked with him at one point in his multi-stop career. His assignment then, for which he was elevated, was to find any racial issue and twist it just as hard as he could.

‘Nuff said.

Looks like the Gazette doubled down. They released another article yesterday about the Kirk racism and resolving the diversity committee. Definitely not a good look from the U of I in my eyes. Someone higher up should respond one way or another.

Looks like the Gazette doubled down. They released another article yesterday about the Kirk racism and resolving the diversity committee. Definitely not a good look from the U of I in my eyes. Someone higher up should respond one way or another.
The Gazette is a wannabe Des Moines Register rag. You honestly wasted your time reading anything that came out of that floundering outhouse? They're trying to make a splash with click bait, just like the DMR because they know that newspapers are dead and on the way out.

The Gazette is a wannabe Des Moines Register rag. You honestly wasted your time reading anything that came out of that floundering outhouse? They're trying to make a splash with click bait, just like the DMR because they know that newspapers are dead and on the way out.
Well I wouldn't have commented had I not read it.