KF and recruiting

I wondered when so many recruits were coming for the Ohio State game. Thinking if we get blown out that can't look good to some or all of them and then the opposite happened and the crowd was one of the best and ended under the lights. Turned out great. At least they get to see the game day environment in all its glory against a top national opponent.

Listened to Coach Doyle and Wallace last spring.... this exact question was asked.

Many of the points already listed were mentioned.

One of the biggest future success indicators is the type of environment the HS player has been raised in - disciplined,respectful, values hard work, earn everything, team success 1st, multiple sport athlete, competitor, winners, team captains, etc. They've have enough evidence of what type of player will thrive and survive in Iowa culture. Good example was Abdul Hodge and his mom. Many rural Iowa families. Many whose parents were D-1 college athletes.

Amazing how many who got the final offer in a class has had incredible success - from Bob Sanders to Josey Jewell.

KF does not recruit 4, 5 star guys. Legacies like A.J., of course he will take, but unless they contact Iowa, why bother chasing them? Kirk gets more mileage out of the 2-3 star guys. I️ believe he would rather coach up the 2-3 star guys and get them drafted than waste his time with a 5 star primadona. Don’t bother following recruiting, will only frustrate you. Just wait till Feb, Rob does a great job of breaking down the new class and then project who will play. Most of the 4 stars recruits we get never make it into school anyway.

The idea that Kirk doesn't recruit 4* and 5* guys is because Iowa can't land them not because he doesn't believe in talent. If Iowa were to consistently win the West and flirt with the Playoffs for a few years then we would probably start getting some.

Not buying this one, Homer. Iowa has made their living on solid to outstanding defense over the years with KF.
Good grief. Their opponents this year are averaging about 18 points per game, which in the day of the spread offense, makes us look pretty darn good. Take the high scoring OT with Iowa St. out of the scoring column and replace it with something reasonable, and we look even better.
One of the differences between Wisconsin's defense and Iowa's defense is Wisconsin's defense tries to get off the field by stopping the opponent's offense while Iowa's defense waits and hopes the other's offense peters out.

I've said it on here before. I think after 2005 when he had a #11 class (Rivals) and a decent class in 06 (38th) and then had off the field troubles in 07, 08, 09. He was reluctant to take a chance on some marginal student athletes with talent and defaulted to; "let's get a quality kid and develop him". Pure speculation, I admit, but my theory anyway.
Again. It has to do with coaching. No amount of highly rated signees will do any good if the coaching staff doesn't know what to do with the skills of highly rated high school prospects.

To say they don't go after highly rated recruits is just not true. Just look at any scouting website and look at who Iowa offers. There are 5 and 4 star guys on that list but its not easy to convince joe schmoe from texas to come to middle of no where Iowa and freeze his ass off.

His response would be that Iowa CBs become safeties and OTs only become Gs, The DE, LB, TE and others don't count, of course.
No. Don't put words in my mouth that aren't there. What I'm saying is Iowa can send all kinds of 'somewhat' athletic players to the NFL but struggles tremendously trying to send higher to highly skilled athletic players.

This is a fault with the coaching staff. Can coach up the TEs, cornerbacks turned safeties, OL, the occasional defensive lineman (because most aren't sack artists), etc. The staff has problems getting along with the talented for the NFL QBs and running backs, for example, and, quite frankly, doesn't even teach the cornerbacks NFL cornerback skills.

If you are a skills player...no reason to go to Iowa...boring...why showcase my blocking?

But perhaps not if BF begins to take over...
yes, I was bored stiff last week, and in 2015, and other year's we were good.

The offense is plenty exciting when they play well. I'm not dismissing what people are saying.....our coaches have missed on WR like no other. However, those guys are gone.

Lets see what Copeland, BFerentz, Woods(now on O and can thank him for being the lead on Noah Fant), and KOK is back.

In KOK's days we had multiple years of McNutt, DJK, Tevaun(early years), Mo Brown, CJ Jones, Hinkle, Moeaki, Clarke et al. A team can win with those guys on the perimeter and catching balls. From the moment DGD and Kennedy arrived, the lack of production got pronounced - bib time

One of the differences between Wisconsin's defense and Iowa's defense is Wisconsin's defense tries to get off the field by stopping the opponent's offense while Iowa's defense waits and hopes the other's offense peters out.

Tell that to the (formerly) # 1 ranked offense in the country, Ohio State. You don't bring a ton of facts to much of what you say, you just say them. Which is cool by me - but as long as you know it. Iowa's defense has been great this season considering their strength of schedule.

Tell that to the (formerly) # 1 ranked offense in the country, Ohio State. You don't bring a ton of facts to much of what you say, you just say them. Which is cool by me - but as long as you know it. Iowa's defense has been great this season considering their strength of schedule.
One game does not a trend make. And, you know, being ahead by more than 3 TDs doesn't hurt.

One game does not a trend make. And, you know, being ahead by more than 3 TDs doesn't hurt.

Did you watch the Penn State game? Or how about the Michigan State game? Or Northwestern? Or IL... or MN? That's a trend

Iowa has given up 103 pts in B1G play in 6 games. That's 17 pts a game and 4 of the 6 teams they've played are currently ranked in the CFB playoff top 25. THAT'S a TREND and getting it done on defense.

Did you watch the Penn State game? Or how about the Michigan State game? Or Northwestern? Or IL... or MN? That's a trend

Iowa has given up 103 pts in B1G play in 6 games. That's 17 pts a game and 4 of the 6 teams they've played are currently ranked in the CFB playoff top 25. THAT'S a TREND and getting it done on defense.
I guess you eyes will tell you anything you want to see. For example, when Iowa scored first against tOSU, tOSU evened the score within, I think, 3 minutes (of actual time). The second Iowa score was evened by tOSU within another, I think, 3 minutes (of actual time) For example, when Iowa's defense needed to STOP Pedo State who needed a TD to win and were, again, I think, at least 75 yards away from the end zone with about a minute and a half of game time, the D couldn't.

Which trend are you talking about? The one to keep things close? That trend is on KF and not the D.

Last edited:

Latest posts